Your question

Looking for advice

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2012 2:11:06 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but it seemed like a great place to ask for some advice on my new build.
I've never actually put one together myself, so this is all new and exciting, and a little daunting. :D 
I'd like to easily run games with high-end settings, like Skyrim, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, with half an eye on the next few years of gaming.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $900 (Australian Dollar)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, University work

Parts Not Required: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, HDD, DVD Drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would prefer to buy parts at my local MSY (pricing permitting)

Parts Preferences: Intel, nVidia

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would like to re-use the case I've got to save some money. Ideally I'd like to re-use my PSU as well, however I'm not sure if it's good enough. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mine is at least 2 years old now too.

With my limited knowledge, this is what I've put together so far:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

So I'd love some advice on a few things:
Are the parts I've selected worth the money, bang for my buck and all that. Are there some better parts I can get for a little more money? Or are there some parts which are as good, or a little worse, for much less cost?
Will my PSU be good enough for that kind of setup? If not, what's a good PSU to look for?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your responses. :) 

More about : advice

March 25, 2012 2:38:46 PM

first off, if you are in australia, why not links to an aussie site for prices? US pricing won't help.

that said: i5-2500K over the 2700, Hd 7850 over the GTX 570, and asrock Extreme 3 instead of extreme 4
m
l
March 25, 2012 2:43:50 PM

Thanks, I was actually looking at the parts that you mentioned, but only having limited knowledge, I wasn't sure how different the performance would be.

I used newegg so that I could easily link a wishlist as the local prices I was finding were really similar (give or take a few bucks).

Edit:
I have a fair idea of the parts that I'll be looking to buy (still open to suggestions), but I'm still curious about my PSU.
I've read that they degrade fairly substantially over time, and that the one that I have was never great to begin with?
m
l
!