Sign in with
Your question

Large Popping Sound.

Last response: in Components
July 8, 2012 10:30:11 PM

Hello, well the possibe has happened, my gaming rig - has blown up, within 6months of having it, but i'm unsure to what the problem may have been,

Like i know the answer that it comes down to is that it could almost be any part im assuming..

I don't have it running endless days in a row, maybe 2-3 then switch it off, and other days i'll turn it off, but this overnight that actually woke me up lastnight - it sounded like a 'huge bang' like a quick snap of power just going zap! then everything stopped.

Does anyone know what this could be at all? could my computer be wrecked completely or is it fixable and cheap to fix it now..

Thanks.

More about : large popping sound

a c 248 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 10:35:25 PM

You had a capacitor catastrophically fail, it should be pretty easy to track down. Given that it woke you up my first bet is the PSU, open up the case and smell the PSU, when a capacitor lets the magic smoke out it has a very distinct smell to it. Next most likely option is the motherboard, likely in the VRM circuitry near the CPU, third i would check the GPU and see if you can see any bad caps on there.

It may have taken other things with it but it is impossible to confirm that everything else in the system is alright without replacing the failed component.

If you see a capacitor with a bulging top on it, or blown to bits like the one in this picture the component needs to be replaced
July 8, 2012 10:37:02 PM

bliske said:
Hello, well the possibe has happened, my gaming rig - has blown up, within 6months of having it, but i'm unsure to what the problem may have been,

Like i know the answer that it comes down to is that it could almost be any part im assuming..

I don't have it running endless days in a row, maybe 2-3 then switch it off, and other days i'll turn it off, but this overnight that actually woke me up lastnight - it sounded like a 'huge bang' like a quick snap of power just going zap! then everything stopped.

Does anyone know what this could be at all? could my computer be wrecked completely or is it fixable and cheap to fix it now..

Thanks.

Probably and most likely a big PSU capacitor. You better take a look in the PSU just to make sure but be careful, there still is enough power in the PSU to kill you if you're not careful
Related resources
a c 105 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 10:40:47 PM

Very likely your PSU gave up the ghost. If it was a cheap one, it probably took other parts with it into the fiery abyss, but since you weren't even on it at the time, hopefully it did not. If you were using a USB port to charge something, it may have only been the +5VSB circuit that croaked, but in any case you'll still need to replace it.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, FSP, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Use the PSU sizing calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js... to determine how large a PSU to get.
July 8, 2012 10:49:21 PM

thank's for the helpful replies

i have Corsair TX-750M Modular Power Supply & ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Motherboard it was a 2.5k rig, so devastated that its happened..

i'm hoping its just the PSU and to hunter, i cant really see (anything thats available to see) that looks burnt, i did sniff around when it actually happen i couldn't smell anything that bad - so i' am really hoping its just the PSU because i really can't afford anything atm. :\
a c 105 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 10:59:36 PM

Wow, that's an excellent PSU. What graphics card(s) do you have? Were you running anything stressful like F@H overnight? Are there any loose bits in the bottom of your case, or do you hear "particles" inside it if you shake the PSU?
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 12:43:15 AM

Could it be your house electrical and not the computer at all? Were you plugged into a surge protector or UPS? Does the power socket you were plugged into still work?

Loud popping sounds and/or bangs tend to point to the psu and even the good ones occasionally fail, but I'm trying to be optimistic for you.
a c 105 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 1:22:26 AM

Yes, it would be wonderful if it turns out the MOV in a surge protector "took a bullet" for your system.
July 9, 2012 7:07:09 AM

amd radeon 7970 graphics card.

and sorry i'm not a full tech person, haha but i'm curious -

in a better term, what do you mean by F@H and MOV?

no loose bits, shook the case a bit, bout to do a double check, i was worried after the person above said not to really touch anything incase because i didn't actually build it, so i don't want to kill myself :s

and thanks for the helpful comments, i appreciate it, if it's just the PSU which honestly i can't see anything else around it that looks burnt at all.

It's definitely the computer, not eletrical, but i mean when a PSU (good one does blow) how often does it or would it regularly take parts with it?

And nope, nothing major i don't even have it overclocking, i just have it on the regular one, i have no dramas whatsoever, but i don't understand, it was running smooth as befor i went to bed. :s

July 9, 2012 7:20:44 AM

well im now curious - could of roaches caused the problem? theres roaches in it OMG...
July 9, 2012 7:41:59 AM

WOW a centipede... jesus..

Honest truth i want to know is, what is the likelihood of it taking the other components with it?

I cant see anything that could cause it.
July 9, 2012 7:42:24 AM

see anything* with damage, sorry my bad
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 7:56:22 AM

best bet is test with a different good PSU and see if it works again. Also maybe build a little platform to keep the PC off the floor once you get it fixed.
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 8:28:01 AM

It reminds me, This is how the word "Bug" in computer came from.......
July 9, 2012 10:49:39 AM

bliske said:
WOW a centipede... jesus..

Honest truth i want to know is, what is the likelihood of it taking the other components with it?

I cant see anything that could cause it.

Oh there can be damage of course. I could have fried your other components. That's what could have happened in your case. You might not notice the difference in looks, the only way to check if the PSU didn't blow up anything with it is to try using another PSU on it but first clean your PC of roaches and but the PC case somewhere the roaches can't get in it. My PC is on the floor but i don't have roaches or any other bugs that like to get in computer cases lol
!