Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Error message, red letters on white background

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2012 12:15:31 PM

win7 pro, running Firefox, IE, Thunderbird and media player (music) got a loud humming noise through speakers and an error message with red lettering on a white background. Win7 shut down too soon to read the message. Then rebooted showing the option for safe but I rebooted normally, ran virus scan and other utilities and everything seems OK.If anyone can steer me to a possible cause, I would appreciate the help. I may be in the wrong sub-section.

Asus M4A79XTD EVO mobo
ATI Radeon 5770
3.4GH Phenom 2X4 965
Intel 120GB SSD
WD 750GB HD
16GB Corsair memory
Rosewill usb 3.0 pci express card
January 19, 2012 12:21:03 PM

Without knowing the error message its kind of like going to the doctors and saying:

YOU: Hi doc, I have a problem
DOC: Ok... what's problem?
YOU: No idea
DOC: Right...

I would just make sure that your PC's temps are ok, To do this you can download a program like hardware monitor

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Apart from that just keep an eye on it and try and get a screenshot if the error message pops up again.
Score
January 19, 2012 12:38:56 PM

Thanks. None of the temps are above 35*. I had never seen an error message with red lettering on a white screen before and and I thought that something other than a blue screen would help pin it down.
BTW, PSU is 550w Corsair 80+
Score
Related resources
January 19, 2012 12:44:58 PM

yeah your hardware config is fine.

Your temps are ok, I take it that's idle temps?

there are loads of error messages with red lettering on a white background unfortunately.
Score
January 19, 2012 1:02:58 PM

Yes, pretty much idle temps. 37 at core with 5 programs and browser with 6 open tabs. I don't overclock.
Score

Best solution

January 19, 2012 1:06:37 PM

You could test your load temps, but to be honest I doubt your CPU, GPU ETC... were under much load considering what you had open, I would say its most likely to be software related but like I said before its really differcult to say without knowing the error message.
January 26, 2012 8:24:42 AM

Best answer selected by nojob.
Score
January 26, 2012 11:05:19 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!