HD 6870 graphics card crashes pc on install

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
This is a dell PC - Precision 390 tower, about 4 years old with a couple upgrades

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.4ghz
8gb G.skill ram
500W corsair PSU
Nvidia Quadro 3450 graphics card

we are trying to upgrade the graphics card to a Radeon HD 6870.

After uninstalling the Nvidia Quadro utilities/drivers I shut down the PC, installed the new card and turned back on.
Everything worked but was in some crazy resolution, which i figured would be resolved after the drivers were installed.
Windows did not auto-find the drivers the way it does for the Nvidia Quadro so i tried using the included CD.
The "Catalyst" installer lets me choose to install the drivers and agree to whatever terms. I chose the 'custom install' option (instead of the 'express' option which i have also tried) just to see what i can do.

As it begins to install it lists all the steps its going through and slowly checks them off, starting with "Analyzing" and then "Customization" and then into the actual installation.

this is where my problem happens- about 10 seconds into the "analyzing" step it goes to blue screen and then crashes. Every time.
The blue screen comes and goes quick but it does say something about 'plug and play'.

for what its worth I am trying to do this for two computers so I have two of these cards and tried both cards with the same result.

any ideas?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hard to say, possible hardware failure... what I would try first is this:

Make sure you uninstall all old drivers using driver sweeper in safe mode (ati and nvidia display): http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Download the latest driver from the ATI website instead of using the disc. Also, is your Windows 7 updated to SP1? Perhaps a compatibility issue with the old driver.

In addition, you can right click on "My Computer," select "Manage" and go to the Event Viewer. From there, select System and it should show your system Bluescreen error in there, and you can paste us that information, which might help.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

UMM im pretty sure your PSU is to small..

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
His PSU should be fine(500w is the minimum for that card, but "should" run)... especially since it works until he gets to installing the drivers.... do what digitalzom-b said... most likely a software issue(driver conflict).

What kind of motherboard?

Does the same issue happen on each PC? are both PC's the same specs?

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
UMM im pretty sure your PSU is to small..

the HD 6870 specs say that it requires a 500W or greater, so even if its at the lower end the 500w PSU I have should be enough to at least install it.

In addition, you can right click on "My Computer," select "Manage" and go to the Event Viewer. From there, select System and it should show your system Bluescreen error in there, and you can paste us that information, which might help.

I am under system and there is a huge list mostly information with some errors for which the source is listed as 'GroupPolicy'

under details it says-
ErrorDescription The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

am I looking in the right place?

thanks for the input!

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
both PCs are exactly the same (purchased together from Dell) but I have only tested one. Its tough because someone needs to work on the other PC, so unless it really looks like it could be the particular PC I dont want to start disrupting my co worker.

I dont know the exact motherboard but its the stock motherboard that came from dell. ill post it next time i have a chance to open it back up (I am currently on the PC with the old graphics card back in it for work)

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Hm, check the applications event log then maybe.

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
***SOLVED***

I did the driver sweeper after work yesterday and that fixed the issue, I ran the driver sweeper and cleaned out everything nvidia and radeon related (which involved restarting a couple times. What was confusing at first is that driver sweeper still lists radeon on the list even after it has been cleaned out (for anyone else dealing with a similar issue, just open the radeon section to make sure it is now empty).

Then installed the new drivers without any issues, thanks for all the help.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Good call Digitalzom-b.... :)

youngblood97

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Can anyone help me on this. I have the same issue and Driver Sweeper has been discontinued on the link supplied and when I get the one from cNet it always fails when I try to start it :(

Geohhh

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hello everyone!

I have the same issue... but Driver Sweeper did not cleaned my old drivers :(
I'm trying to install a Radeon Sapphire HD 6870 on this configuration :

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
AMD Athlon II X2 220 2,8 Ghz
4Go DDR3 ram
500W corsair PSU
Nvidia GeForce 405

I don't have blue screen but the PC completely freeze on installation (at the "amd vision engine control center" step, last step I think...).
I tried install latest drivers found on AMD website but I get the same issue.

I'm quite sure the Nvidia drivers are not properly uninstalled resulting in conflicts...
I removed first graphical drivers by Windows Device Manager and also removed any programs related to Nvidia Graphic Cart via Add/Remove Window.

I did the Driver Sweeper step and I still saw about 20 registry keys in "Nvidia - Display" section. I tried cleaning it with Driver Sweeper but after restarting a couple of times when asked, these values remain listed in "Nvidia -Display" section...

I tried removed these keys via Windows "regedit" but it seems I can't delete them.

Any Ideas ?

How can I clean old drivers ?
Can I delete those register keys via regedit ? Is it safe ?

In advance, thank you.