USB and static electricity problems

autumnColors

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I hope this is the right forum. If not, move as needed.

I have a recurring problem with my USB external and/or internal plug-ins. Every now and then - once a month or so - I plug in the USB charger for my MP3 player, phone, or input devices and the computer reboots. When it comes up, the port that I just touched won't work. Sometimes it corrects by just moving to a different external port, but sometimes it requires unplugging from the motherboard and moving to a different header. Eventually the original port/header works again. It does seem to be static electricity, but I'm not sure. I don't know if the static build up is me or if it's coming from the system. I run linux so the system may be up for weeks at a time. The problem occurs randomly - I can be sitting at the computer for hours or just happen to think to recharge something and I get the reboot. If it's the system, which is my main worry, is there something I can do inside the case to check it? This mostly happens on the external front panel USB ports (both the case ports and a 3.5" card reader). I want to get this fixed before something bad happens.

Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3
AMD 555BE (X2 unlocked to X4)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
2x2GB Corsair XMS 1333 D3
Antec Neo 500W (modular)
Asus DRW 24-B1ST
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS
Rosewill Gear X3 case
Ubuntu 11.10 Ocelot

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Sounds like drivers bumping heads to me. Are there any other usb devices plugged in at the same time in back or front like mouse, printer, keyboard, jumpdrive, external HDD, or any other hardware? If so try plugging in the offending USB with none of these other usb devises plugged in if possible(if using a usb keyboard and/or mouse try to use an S connector version if possible maybe use a friends if you don't have one), if the problem stops you need a new driver for the external you speak of or the hardware unattached at the time A question though are you getting a BSOD with the crash or just reboot with the option of normal start or safemode?

Edit: What does your Event Log say about it?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Did you try or are you using Asus Ai Charger software? If not try it - if you are check for updates.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A88TD-M%20EVO/USB3&p=1&os=29

autumnColors

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I'm running linux, and I don't see anything for AI in the list. Would the bios updates for "Improve Auto Tuning function" or "Improve EPU function" have the same thing?

autumnColors

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks for the help. The link in the Ubuntu forum is for power management - specifically boosting the power over the USB port to recharge iPads. My problem is static electricity at the USB ports, and due to the low response to the question, I'm guessing the problem must be a static build up on me. So, I need to make sure to touch something metal to discharge any static before going near the front panel. I have a new case with more fans, so that may be causing some of the build-up too. I'm in a dry climate, so static is always a problem.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Well good luck and I hope the "grounding" works.