Solved

Another "how much power do I need?" question

Hello guys, I ran into some trouble for my first built computer. I know there are already tons of questions request for proper PSUs, but I did do a lot of homework before I post this up here.

So here is my system.

Mobo - Asus Sabertooth z77
CPU - Intel i7 3770k (with stock fan)
Graphics - HD 7850 (either from Sapphire or Asus)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
Case - Cooler Master Scout Storm
1 optical drive
1 1TB HHD & 1 160 GB SSD

I will OC my CPU and GPU later, but not at this point, since I'm still using the stock fan and try to test out every component for at least couple months. Therefore I do consider some extra voltage for that use on PSU.

I've gone to some websites for voltage calculation. Some of them gave me less than 400w, but the one on Asus website provided me with 650w, and friends told me just throw in a 1000w for everything (I think it's a quick solution, but also dumb for the extra power I will not be using).

Currently I have my eyes on SeaSonic X-SERIES, except the 750w unit, which has lots of bad reviews. The 650w version has many good reviews but I'm afraid it might not provide enough juice. If that's the case, I can throw in $50 more to upgrade it to 850w. Within that price range, 1050w and 850w cost exactly the same.

So... here are my questions,

- Should I get the 805w or the 1050w for the same price?
- If I went for the 1050w for the same price, will it increase my electricity bill in the long run?
- OR are there other PSUs that you guys would recommend?

Thanks a million in advance!
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about another power need question
  1. Have you tried a PSU calculator?
    http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

The HD 7850 will require 122W at max. That's 10.2A (122W/12V) on the +12V rail.
    http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
  2. Even with overclocking, you won't need more than 650 watts, and that's adding in 100w for good luck.

I prefer the Corsair Enthusiast series TX-650 or TX-650M (modular).
  3. Seasonic X series... bad reviews?

TF?

Seasonic X650
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=169

Quote:
    "the X series from Seasonic is their new top of the line platform. As such, I expected the performance to match up accordingly. I was not disappointed. With the best efficiency I've seen to date combined with outstanding rail stability and ripple and noise suppression good enough to give server grade units nightmares for months, Seasonic has a winner among winners here. "

Seasonic X 750
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=192

Quote:
    "the last time I looked at the X series units, I gave the X-650 a perfect score. However, though this model isn't really any different, I'm going to have to go a little harder on it than little brother, I think. Ripple suppression was amazing, and you can't fault that efficiency or the voltage regulation. But I can't quite ignore the slightly out of spec spike I saw on the 5VSB rail when it was maxed out either. So, I'm giving this unit a 9.5."

Seasonic X850
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-X-Series-850-W-Power-Supply-Review/1169

Quote:
    "Like all other X-Series units from Seasonic we've reviewed so far, the X-Series 850w is an impressive product, with extremely high efficiency (above 90%), 3% voltage regulation (i.e., voltages closer to their nominal value than necessary), and extremely low noise and ripple levels. On top of that, due to its highly overspec'ed components, we could easily pull 1,000 W from it."

The Seasonic X series is one of the best power supply series out in the consumer market. All of them is highly overspec'd and good for any type of build. Whoever said any one of the units is trash is (to put it nicely) misinformed to the extreme.

The X650 is completely fine for a highly overclocked CPU + 1 highly overclocked high end GPU with room to spare. It can even power 2 GPU's because it's so insanely overspec'd. The X750 is a step up from X650 and is most excellent as well. The X850 is even a bigger step.

All will provide sufficient power for you at very, very high efficiency.

There's a reason Seasonic is the OEM for many of the best power supplies in the market that is sold by other brands such as Corsair, Antec, and XFX.
  4. lilotimz said:
    Seasonic X series... bad reviews?

TF?

Seasonic X650
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=169

Quote:
    "the X series from Seasonic is their new top of the line platform. As such, I expected the performance to match up accordingly. I was not disappointed. With the best efficiency I've seen to date combined with outstanding rail stability and ripple and noise suppression good enough to give server grade units nightmares for months, Seasonic has a winner among winners here. "

Seasonic X 750
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=192

Quote:
    "the last time I looked at the X series units, I gave the X-650 a perfect score. However, though this model isn't really any different, I'm going to have to go a little harder on it than little brother, I think. Ripple suppression was amazing, and you can't fault that efficiency or the voltage regulation. But I can't quite ignore the slightly out of spec spike I saw on the 5VSB rail when it was maxed out either. So, I'm giving this unit a 9.5."

Seasonic X850
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-X-Series-850-W-Power-Supply-Review/1169

Quote:
    "Like all other X-Series units from Seasonic we've reviewed so far, the X-Series 850w is an impressive product, with extremely high efficiency (above 90%), 3% voltage regulation (i.e., voltages closer to their nominal value than necessary), and extremely low noise and ripple levels. On top of that, due to its highly overspec'ed components, we could easily pull 1,000 W from it."

The Seasonic X series is one of the best power supply series out in the consumer market. All of them is highly overspec'd and good for any type of build. Whoever said any one of the units is trash is (to put it nicely) misinformed to the extreme.

The X650 is completely fine for a highly overclocked CPU + 1 highly overclocked high end GPU with room to spare. It can even power 2 GPU's because it's so insanely overspec'd. The X750 is a step up from X650 and is most excellent as well. The X850 is even a bigger step.

All will provide sufficient power for you at very, very high efficiency.

There's a reason Seasonic is the OEM for many of the best power supplies in the market that is sold by other brands such as Corsair, Antec, and XFX.

I'm not saying Seasonic X series is a bad choice. Otherwise I wouldnt have my eyes on them at first place. What I meant was with all their products, X750 seemed to cause slightly more troubles. If you get on newegg.com, you will see the only Seasonic X series product which doesnt have a 5 star is their x750 unit. That's all what I'm saying. I wasn't trying to deny their good quality.

But thank you for your opinions BTW :)
  5. clutchc said:
    Have you tried a PSU calculator?
    http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

The HD 7850 will require 122W at max. That's 10.2A (122W/12V) on the +12V rail.
    http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

Yes, I did try to use that website as one of my resources. It gave me a number somewhere near 400w. With all the power supplies I've see out there, it was just kinda hard for me to believe the system will actually use such less power. So it made me wonder what kind of set up will eat a 1000w or even bigger power supply.
  6. Your setup will indeed run on 400W.
  7. Newegg reviews are generally not a good indication of actual quality. The X750 is an excellent power supply regardless of what they say. People usually down rate for the dumbest of things like "not long enough cables / cables too long / the fan is dead (when it doesnt run unless it gets hot enough) etc etc.

Reputable reviews from places such as I've provided is the best types of review you can get since these are people that actually put the power supplies through their paces.

Imho. The X650 should be the best for your setup. At Peak load (prime95/ stress test), your comp may consume around 350-400watts. A power supply is the most efficient between 40-60% load. The X650 efficiency is between 92.4% and 91.8% between 300-400watts. Extremely good.

If it was my choice, i'd take the X650.

Standard gaming load should be around 250-300watts tops.
  8. I would go for XFX 450W for single GPU and the Seasonic 650 only if you're planning Xfire.
  9. lilotimz said:
    Newegg reviews are generally not a good indication of actual quality. The X750 is an excellent power supply regardless of what they say. People usually down rate for the dumbest of things like "not long enough cables / cables too long / the fan is dead (when it doesnt run unless it gets hot enough) etc etc.

Reputable reviews from places such as I've provided is the best types of review you can get since these are people that actually put the power supplies through their paces.

Imho. The X650 should be the best for your setup. At Peak load (prime95/ stress test), your comp may consume around 350-400watts. A power supply is the most efficient between 40-60% load. The X650 efficiency is between 92.4% and 91.8% between 300-400watts. Extremely good.

If it was my choice, i'd take the X650.

Standard gaming load should be around 250-300watts tops.

Agree. Some of the reviews were actually quite stupid. One of the extremes I saw was one guy gave an one star because he didn't like the knife graphic on G. Skill Sniper ram. So I try to completely ignore comments like that.

Thank you for your web links also!
  10. Best answer
    ls86 said:
    Yes, I did try to use that website as one of my resources. It gave me a number somewhere near 400w. With all the power supplies I've see out there, it was just kinda hard for me to believe the system will actually use such less power. So it made me wonder what kind of set up will eat a 1000w or even bigger power supply.

its not all that difficult to figure with some googling. but to break it down
    a i7-3770K will be 77 watts @ stock
    a Z77 chipset is 6.1 watts but lets round up to 7
    a stick of RAM 4 watts and SSD, hard drive and optical about 10 each.
    77 + 7 + (4*2) + (10*2) = 112 watts
    not off from real world testing:
    Core i7 3770K and 3750 review with Z77
    Quote:
    Now if you are not planning to use a dedicated graphics card and will use the embedded IGP solely, then power consumption hauls ass. In IDLE we measured ~46 Watts and with processor load 113 Watts for the entire PC.

now add the 144 watts for the 7850
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/24.html
    and you have 257 watts. even though not all that is 12 volts, let put it there anyway.
    257/12= 21.416_ amps or lets say 22amps.
    lets keep that load under 80% for efficiency sake 22/.8= 27.5 amps and for the sake of a common agreement stipulate that a quality PSU has 80% of its total wattage on the 12 volt rail.
    (27.5*12)/.8= 412.5 watts.

scary how low the wattage a person really needs. but too many folks fall under the believe that for best efficiency they must have a PSUs rated wattage twice as much as max load 257*2=514 and add 100 watts just for comfort and since 614 watt PSUs don't exist, why that means a 650 watt and on and on until they convince themselves that they need 850 watts because maybe someday they will go crossfire; which never happens. so they end up with a 850 watt PSU for a system that only uses 257 watts on a 100% load and idles @ 45 watts.
  11. Indeed looniam and at that point your maximum load is 30% load on the PSU and you'll never reach maximum efficiency - you'll actually run at very poor efficiency most of the time.

This is exactly why I'd recommend the XFX 450W maximum for a single 7850.
  12. Anonymous said:
    its not all that difficult to figure with some googling. but to break it down
    a i7-3770K will be 77 watts @ stock
    a Z77 chipset is 6.1 watts but lets round up to 7
    a stick of RAM 4 watts and SSD, hard drive and optical about 10 each.
    77 + 7 + (4*2) + (10*2) = 112 watts
    not off from real world testing:
    Core i7 3770K and 3750 review with Z77
    Quote:
    Now if you are not planning to use a dedicated graphics card and will use the embedded IGP solely, then power consumption hauls ass. In IDLE we measured ~46 Watts and with processor load 113 Watts for the entire PC.

now add the 144 watts for the 7850
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/24.html
    and you have 257 watts. even though not all that is 12 volts, let put it there anyway.
    257/12= 21.416_ amps or lets say 22amps.
    lets keep that load under 80% for efficiency sake 22/.8= 27.5 amps and for the sake of a common agreement stipulate that a quality PSU has 80% of its total wattage on the 12 volt rail.
    (27.5*12)/.8= 412.5 watts.

scary how low the wattage a person really needs. but too many folks fall under the believe that for best efficiency they must have a PSUs rated wattage twice as much as max load 257*2=514 and add 100 watts just for comfort and since 614 watt PSUs don't exist, why that means a 650 watt and on and on until they convince themselves that they need 850 watts because maybe someday they will go crossfire; which never happens. so they end up with a 850 watt PSU for a system that only uses 257 watts on a 100% load and idles @ 45 watts.

True true. Thanks for this very detailed analysis. Actually I was just amazed on how little power my computer might consume. And with seeing other people throwing PSUs with 850w or even 1200w. I just started doubting that my calculation was correct or not.
  13. Yep. You can run off with a quality 450-500watt for sure. I recommend the X650 because it's not only powerful, but extremely efficient at all levels no matter what load (it's still 80% + even when they're pulling over 800watt!).

While 450-500watt units will provide the power; their quality usually does not compare to that of an X650.

It's your choice. The X series is a wonderful series that is very efficient and of the highest quality. There are cheaper options that will power your build just fine but they are of slightly lower quality.

Your choice. :)
  14. But what is its efficiency at very low load levels?
  15. X650 ... test loads are here.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=169

130-140W -- 90.5%
    260-290w -- 92.1%
    401-440w --91.6%
    533-590w --90.6%
    653-730w --89.5%
  16. FinneousPJ said:
    But what is its efficiency at very low load levels?

you have to see this for yourself. i am still stunned!

nothing short of phenomenal.
  17. lilotimz said:
    Yep. You can run off with a quality 450-500watt for sure. I recommend the X650 because it's not only powerful, but extremely efficient at all levels no matter what load (it's still 80% + even when they're pulling over 800watt!).

While 450-500watt units will provide the power; their quality usually does not compare to that of an X650.

It's your choice. The X series is a wonderful series that is very efficient and of the highest quality. There are cheaper options that will power your build just fine but they are of slightly lower quality.

Your choice. :)

If 450-500w is enough to run this, then I'm thinking of getting the X560 gold. Only cost $125 on amazon, no tax, no shipping, and sold directly by amazon. In case problems happened, I don't have to go through hard times to deal with the bad parts since I've been their costumer for years. Indeed I'm buying almost all my stuff through them. But the X660 will cost me $160. I can wait for like another week, if the price will go down. That will be the best.
  18. Anonymous said:
    you have to see this for yourself. i am still stunned!
    http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9003/capturenh.jpg

nothing short of phenomenal.

Wow I might have to buy that PSU :lol:
  19. FinneousPJ said:
    Wow I might have to buy that PSU :lol:

Isn't this just the x650? Even I typed in ss-650km, the x650 gold came out.
  20. yes it is the same thing.
  21. Best answer selected by LS86.
  22. ls86 said:

That result is pretty accurate. I run the system in my sig below with a Kill-O-Watt meter plugged in. Even with 2 x GTX570s being stressed out in Furmark, The total wattage on the primary side of the PSU is only 499 - 512W. And the secondary side will be considerably lower than that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components