BF42 2-player MP with co-op?

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

Hi,

I'm guessing it doesn't take too much bandwidth to host a 2-player
MP session with BF1942.

With a 2 player MP session, would it take additional bandwidth to add
the (lame) A/I coded bot-players too? If so, do the A/I guys take as
much bandwidth as human MP players?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about bf42 player
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    outaping@vz.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm guessing it doesn't take too much bandwidth to host a 2-player
    > MP session with BF1942.
    >
    > With a 2 player MP session, would it take additional bandwidth to add
    > the (lame) A/I coded bot-players too? If so, do the A/I guys take as
    > much bandwidth as human MP players?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >

    the only badwidth consumed is the 50-80kbps per 'real' player,
    away from the server machine.
    all calculations ate done server side, so any remote players just get
    informed what the bots are doing, and who they are killing.
    regards malcolm
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:13:19 GMT, malcolm <m.tamblynREMOVE@mchsi.com>
    wrote:

    >the only badwidth consumed is the 50-80kbps per 'real' player,
    >away from the server machine.
    >all calculations ate done server side, so any remote players just get
    >informed what the bots are doing, and who they are killing.

    Wow that's interesting. I thought each A/I-bot might need as much
    bandwidth compared to real MP players.

    I'm still stuck with 128kbps upstream. If 1 remote player needs
    50/80kbps, it doesn't seem like I'd have the extra bandwidth to add
    30/40 AI bots into a game.

    Otoh, the AI bots seem to stand around and do nothing most of the
    time..<g>.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    outaping@vz.com wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:13:19 GMT, malcolm <m.tamblynREMOVE@mchsi.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>the only badwidth consumed is the 50-80kbps per 'real' player,
    >>away from the server machine.
    >>all calculations ate done server side, so any remote players just get
    >>informed what the bots are doing, and who they are killing.
    >
    >
    > Wow that's interesting. I thought each A/I-bot might need as much
    > bandwidth compared to real MP players.
    >
    > I'm still stuck with 128kbps upstream. If 1 remote player needs
    > 50/80kbps, it doesn't seem like I'd have the extra bandwidth to add
    > 30/40 AI bots into a game.
    >
    > Otoh, the AI bots seem to stand around and do nothing most of the
    > time..<g>.
    >

    the remote player just gets updated about what the bots are doing on the
    host machine, the bandwidth is the to and fro between the server and
    remote players only.
    but it does take CPU power to run bots in numbers and have remote
    players too.
    thats why its best to run a dedicated server for multiplayer games with
    more than 4 players of which one is playing on the server.

    I have run 5 player coop games with 32 slots, myself playing on server,
    Wife on LAN connection, and 3 remote players, this with 256kbps upload
    cable. it worked ok most of the time, depends on the complexity of the
    map too.
    regards malcolm


    ..
Ask a new question

Read More

Bandwidth Games Video Games