Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DVD Player

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:55:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Why is it that I can play DVDs on my PS2 with the controller, but need a $40
add-on for my X-box?

More about : dvd player

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:05:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

jAMES.H.WILLIAMS <JAMES.H.WILLIAMS1@ATT.NET> wrote:
>Why is it that I can play DVDs on my PS2 with the controller, but need a $40
>add-on for my X-box?

Think of it as a tradeoff - you need to buy a memory card for your
PS2, but you can save games on the builtin hard drive for the XBox.
(Your $40 pays for the remote and the DVD consortium license fee.)


--
But capitalism in the real world subordinates the rational maximization of
productivity and profit to the exigencies of organizational control.
-- "THE ABOLITION OF WORK" by Bob Black
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:09:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

jAMES.H.WILLIAMS wrote:
> Why is it that I can play DVDs on my PS2 with the controller, but
> need a $40 add-on for my X-box?

Because Sony is part of the cartel (or whatever) that owns the rights
to the DVD technology. MS is not. MS could pay the money out of their
own pocket, but Bill Gates would rather spend it on booze and hookers.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:10:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"jAMES.H.WILLIAMS" <JAMES.H.WILLIAMS1@ATT.NET> wrote in message
news:nq05e.49706$cg1.15862@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Why is it that I can play DVDs on my PS2 with the controller, but need a
> $40 add-on for my X-box?

Well, let's look at it..shall we?

1) The Xbox DVD kit is $29, not $40.

2) The PS2 requires you to buy memory cards at $20 EACH. You'll want at
least 4 of them. They're built into the Xbox.

3) The PS2 hard drive is $99. It's built into the Xbox.

4) The PS2 requires a $35 adapter to hook up more than 2 controllers. It's
built into the Xbox.

5) The PS2 DVD remote is $15.

6) Any more stupid ass questions?
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:10:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

>
> "jAMES.H.WILLIAMS" <JAMES.H.WILLIAMS1@ATT.NET> wrote in message
> news:nq05e.49706$cg1.15862@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Why is it that I can play DVDs on my PS2 with the controller, but
>> need a $40 add-on for my X-box?
>
> Well, let's look at it..shall we?
>
> 1) The Xbox DVD kit is $29, not $40.
>
> 2) The PS2 requires you to buy memory cards at $20 EACH. You'll want
> at least 4 of them. They're built into the Xbox.
>
> 3) The PS2 hard drive is $99. It's built into the Xbox.
>
> 4) The PS2 requires a $35 adapter to hook up more than 2 controllers.
> It's built into the Xbox.
>
> 5) The PS2 DVD remote is $15.
>
> 6) Any more stupid ass questions?
>
>
>
>

You forgot to use the $99 dollar HDD, you need a $35 dollar Modem/NIC
Adapter.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:11:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Large Farva <none@nospam.com> wrote:

> 1) The Xbox DVD kit is $29, not $40.

....or included with most bundles. Really? $29? I thought it'd dropped
to $15-20?

> 2) The PS2 requires you to buy memory cards at $20 EACH. You'll want at
> least 4 of them. They're built into the Xbox.

I've seen memory cards for $15 for awhile. I even saw 2/$20 during a sale.
And since when do you need 4 of them? I've gotten along with just 2 since
the PS2 was released.

> 3) The PS2 hard drive is $99. It's built into the Xbox.

The PS2's HD comes with FFXI, which is why it's $79-99. However, only
FFXI requires the HD. Another 2 or 3 games will support it - for instance,
Socom lets you download and store extra maps on the HD. The HD is not
supported with the latest PS2 model - the slimline one. And I doubt very
much FFXI will be supported much longer for PS2 at all.

The HD is basically a waste of money.

Not that this affects DVD playback.

> 4) The PS2 requires a $35 adapter to hook up more than 2 controllers. It's
> built into the Xbox.

True, and this affects the DVD feature...how?

> 5) The PS2 DVD remote is $15.

You do not need the PS2 remote to play DVDs. The controller does a
passable job.

You failed to mention that the Sony brand DVD remote has more features
than the XBox remotes, and that the current version of the DVD playback
software is capable of outputting progressive scan - something I don't
think the Xbox is capable of. Older versions of the PS2 can be upgraded
using the CD that comes with the remote, or by contacting Sony.

> 6) Any more stupid ass questions?

I'd be a might careful calling people stupid ass, lest you look like one
yourself.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:12:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

TheLightsAreOn <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote:

> You forgot to use the $99 dollar HDD, you need a $35 dollar Modem/NIC
> Adapter.

The adaptor's been included for awhile now. Only the really early PS2s
don't have one.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:19:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>Large Farva <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>> 5) The PS2 DVD remote is $15.
>
>You do not need the PS2 remote to play DVDs. The controller does a
>passable job.

I am incredibly frustrated with using the PS2 controller to
control DVD playback, actually, in the few cases it's come up.

>You failed to mention that the Sony brand DVD remote has more features
>than the XBox remotes,

Like what?


>and that the current version of the DVD playback
>software is capable of outputting progressive scan - something I don't
>think the Xbox is capable of.

Fair enough.

--
Brad: Got a minute?
Lester Burnham: For you, Brad, I've got five!
-- AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999)
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 4:26:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Andrew Ryan Chang <archang@sfu.ca> wrote:

> I am incredibly frustrated with using the PS2 controller to
> control DVD playback, actually, in the few cases it's come up.

I didn't have any problems with it, but I rarely did more than hit "play"
and maybe "skip to next chapter".

A friend of mine, however, had a problem with his cat playing with the
controllers, which made watching movies annoying. He ended up buying a
cheap DVD player, which I suspect most folks have done by now. I don't
know many who rely on their PS2 or XBox as their DVD player.

> >You failed to mention that the Sony brand DVD remote has more features
> >than the XBox remotes,

> Like what?

The Sony remote adds things like zoom, A<->B looping, as well as dedicated
buttons for audio and subtitle switching (as opposed to having to open the
PS2's menu and change them that way) Basically, all the same functions
you'd expect to find a "real" DVD's remote.

> >and that the current version of the DVD playback
> >software is capable of outputting progressive scan - something I don't
> >think the Xbox is capable of.

> Fair enough.

> --
> Brad: Got a minute?
> Lester Burnham: For you, Brad, I've got five!
> -- AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999)
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 11:23:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Microsoft needs to make money. The Official Xbox DVD kit is only $30 in the
US. Also you can use any Sony DVD remote or multibrand remote to control
the DVD playback on the PS2. You just can't eject the disc or turn the unit
on and off from the non-PS2 remote. The PS2 remote also works as a
controller as well.

--
Jeremy Lawson

"jAMES.H.WILLIAMS" <JAMES.H.WILLIAMS1@ATT.NET> wrote in message
news:nq05e.49706$cg1.15862@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Why is it that I can play DVDs on my PS2 with the controller, but need a
$40
> add-on for my X-box?
>
>
April 10, 2005 4:57:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> Large Farva <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>
>>1) The Xbox DVD kit is $29, not $40.
>
>
> ...or included with most bundles. Really? $29? I thought it'd dropped
> to $15-20?
>
>
>>2) The PS2 requires you to buy memory cards at $20 EACH. You'll want at
>>least 4 of them. They're built into the Xbox.
>
>
> I've seen memory cards for $15 for awhile. I even saw 2/$20 during a sale.
> And since when do you need 4 of them? I've gotten along with just 2 since
> the PS2 was released.
>
>
>>3) The PS2 hard drive is $99. It's built into the Xbox.
>
>
> The PS2's HD comes with FFXI, which is why it's $79-99. However, only
> FFXI requires the HD. Another 2 or 3 games will support it - for instance,
> Socom lets you download and store extra maps on the HD. The HD is not
> supported with the latest PS2 model - the slimline one. And I doubt very
> much FFXI will be supported much longer for PS2 at all.
>
> The HD is basically a waste of money.
>
> Not that this affects DVD playback.
>
>
>>4) The PS2 requires a $35 adapter to hook up more than 2 controllers. It's
>>built into the Xbox.
>
>
> True, and this affects the DVD feature...how?
>
>
>>5) The PS2 DVD remote is $15.
>
>
> You do not need the PS2 remote to play DVDs. The controller does a
> passable job.
>
> You failed to mention that the Sony brand DVD remote has more features
> than the XBox remotes, and that the current version of the DVD playback
> software is capable of outputting progressive scan - something I don't
> think the Xbox is capable of. Older versions of the PS2 can be upgraded
> using the CD that comes with the remote, or by contacting Sony.
>


Actually the xbox can play progressive scan with a simple hex edit.
However, this requires a mod. Put a chip into the two (xbox and ps2) and
its a no brainer....Xbox all the way!
April 10, 2005 4:59:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Mr Lawson wrote:
> Microsoft needs to make money. The Official Xbox DVD kit is only $30 in the
> US. Also you can use any Sony DVD remote or multibrand remote to control
> the DVD playback on the PS2. You just can't eject the disc or turn the unit
> on and off from the non-PS2 remote. The PS2 remote also works as a
> controller as well.
>
> --

Universal remote: likewise on the box. I use a kenwood reciever
controller to operate my xbox, via the dvd push button.
!