Sign in with
Your question

8800GT not working [HELP]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2012 2:22:31 PM

So basically, this has been a problem for around 8 months now, i just didn't have the patience to type for help lol, ok so, i sold my gaming machine about 1 year ago and got me a bloody nasty computer that would fit my needs, i wasn't giving use to my other gaming machine, sooo, i decided to sell, this oldie in terms of hardware it is "ancient", running AMD Athlon 64 x2, it didn't come with GPU and it has a 500w Gigabyte PSU that sucks, i had a spare 8800GT and put it on, it became a really mediocre PC that suited my needs so i couldn't care less, until may of last year, when i came home and found my computer turned on (i used to leave it turned on) with a black screen, then i turned it off, and it wouldn't turn on again, i did what i usually do when this happens, check rams and GPU, when i took my 8800GT the computer turned on and proceeded to windows, i was pretty happy, i just wanted the PC back and well it was, now my brother needed a GPU and i told him i only had a broken 8800GT and he could try it even though i told him it wouldn't work, it amazingly did, so here i am, astonished with this. I am getting hit by boredom and need to play some games, so i tried to put in a 8800GTS i had here, it is broken as well, it doesn't let me play games (when i start the game, the screen turns grey, but apart from that it works fine, so if you have a solution for this problem i would be happy to read it), i was surprised with the fact that the PC did turn on, and loaded windows with no problem, because i though the problem was, the PSU couldn't handle the GPU anymore, so here, i beg for your solutions and thoughts on how i may be able to fix this problem.

Cheers.

More about : 8800gt working

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 8:46:20 PM

What are your specs? (Motherboard, exact PSU specs, RAM modules, etc etc)
January 19, 2012 8:53:08 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
What are your specs? (Motherboard, exact PSU specs, RAM modules, etc etc)

Hmm motherboard is complete bollocks as well, Gigabyte M61PME-S2P, i can't remember exact PSU specs now, because i don't even know if the PSU is a model from a certain series, and i can't open it right now, i just know the wattage, 500W, RAM is 4GB DDR2 unbranded (it says melco, but i don't even know that as a brand) running at 400mhz, i've got 2 500HDD form western digital but i can't remember the RPM, and the cpu is, as i've specified, a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ running at 2.80ghz

That is all i can provide as of now, thanks for posting!
Cheers!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 3:22:44 AM

Ok lol I was hoping someone else might have an answer besides bad news. There are only two explanations that make sense to me:

1.) Your PSU is dead or not supplying enough juice

Unfortunately, unless you have another PSU around it's really hard to figure out which one it would be. BUT, after reading your post multiple times it does sound like its your PSU as your card works until it needs more juice. Try to run a pass at Furmark for me and let me know if you crash.

(Edit) Sorry about the mess of editing if you are trying to read this, I had to reread through your post several times to get a grasp again on what is wrong. I originally had that your PCI-e port is dead, but if you can post and boot into Windows with the card in and the display is responding, then it is really unlikely that it is indeed your PCI-e Port/Mobo.
January 21, 2012 11:39:19 AM

gidgiddonihah said:
Ok lol I was hoping someone else might have an answer besides bad news. There are only two explanations that make sense to me:

1.) Your PSU is dead or not supplying enough juice

Unfortunately, unless you have another PSU around it's really hard to figure out which one it would be. BUT, after reading your post multiple times it does sound like its your PSU as your card works until it needs more juice. Try to run a pass at Furmark for me and let me know if you crash.

(Edit) Sorry about the mess of editing if you are trying to read this, I had to reread through your post several times to get a grasp again on what is wrong. I originally had that your PCI-e port is dead, but if you can post and boot into Windows with the card in and the display is responding, then it is really unlikely that it is indeed your PCI-e Port/Mobo.

Ok i forgot to mention, i'm running a onboard gpu, i had bought a GTX260 and i was going to rebuild this computer, but somethings happened and i couldn't proceed with the upgrade. I can't run furmark because this onboard does not support opengl 2.0 :/ , it probably is the PSU that lacks the juice, but it's strange that i could run a 8800GTS and not the 8800GT.

Thanks for the help anyway!!!!!!
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 2:42:24 AM

Yup no problem. Actually if I remember correctly the GTS uses less power than the GT. But I could be remembering wrong. Its been awhile since I dealt with that gen of cards ;) .
!