Sign in with
Your question

Exhaust Fan Help

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2012 6:40:45 PM

Hi Guy's,

I have a Coolermaster CM 830 Stacker which originally housed a 9800GX2 a few years ago, and I had a friend of mine build it.

The problem I have is that on the rear exhaust fan, he stripped 2 screws, and the other 2 are so tight, I cannot undo them LOL!!

I need some advice concerning "drilling out" the screws, as I have now overclocked my rig, I am getting in the region of around 80 to 83 degrees on my 7970, and I feel thats too high.

I have bought some Scythe 4250 RPM fans and wanted to fit one of those at the exhaust port.

Can anyone please give some advice as to how to go about drilling out these fan screws? I do not own nor know anyone who owns a Dremmel as handy as they obviously are, and I will not be buying one for the sake of this one scenario as I am not in the habit of cutting out side panel windows, or designing my own cases LOL!!! as I will have no further use for it afterwards.

I do have a regular drill, and would appreciate the steps and drill bit size necessary to get rid of these little B@?~*%$£!!!

Many thanks for any advice offered!!

More about : exhaust fan

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 7:45:15 PM

If I were you, I would just get a new case. The stacker isn't very 2012 to begin with.

Just leave the fan that is in there in there and throw both in the trash.

Well, you could just whatever drill bit you want with that as the alternative. If you can save the fan cool and if not then oh well, you can get a good 120 mm fan for like $5 anyway.

If you are going to use a 7970 that costs like $550, you can probably afford to suck up the replacement cost of that fan.

If you get a HAF 912 or 922 instead, your PC will just work a whole lot better.

I can't in good conscience advise someone to insert a 7970 into any case with a top mounted PSU in it.
March 25, 2012 8:12:05 PM

Hi Raiddinn,

Thanks for the response. However, I am not TBH looking to invest another £100 to £200 on a new case. I currently have enough Scythe 1450 fans in the side panel door of the case blowing directly on my 7970, I just need advice on how to remove fan screws from the rear exhaust, as it can't keep up.

And what difference does having a top mounted PSU make, as opposed to that of a bottom mounted?

And I am not bothered about the exterior look of my rig, as long as it's funtional, and whats inside is doing it's job properly, surely thats all that matters, right?

I am playing DX11 Crysis 2 on Ultra, and getting according to Afterburner average frames of 87 or so, so as I say, as much as I would like to buy a new case, I am not going to, just because this one has a top mounted PSU, and as you put it, not very 2012?!

Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 8:59:23 PM

A good case should be able to be had for like 50 GBP.

Regardless, I suggest you read this link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

It tells you everything you need to know to get a basic understanding of the things that are important in computer cooling.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 9:02:34 PM

If your'e near Nottingham, I'll get the fan off for you :) 
otherwise I'd say flat head screwdriver where each screw is and lever it until the housing cracks, remove and replace, check Xspc's website for fans, they do a couple for under a fiver, including a 2k rpm one**Edit, you already bought fans :p **
Moto
March 25, 2012 9:33:02 PM

Hey motopsychojdn,

Thanks for the offer, but I am in sunny Manchester (At least it was these past few days LOL!!)

The fan in place from the original build is an Akasa green LED type with a 25mm deep housing, surely the leverage needed would be too great?

And just out of interest, what method if I lived close by, would you use? As even though I am not spending money on a Dremel for the sake of this one fan, is drilling out the screws particuarly difficult?

Cheers.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 10:59:44 PM

If you drill the screws out you will send LOTS of metal shards into the case. So removal of ALL hardware is best.

So you can not just get it to loosen? Hell if it that bad i would keep tightening(use a drill) it until the fan has no thread left, then the screw would almost fall out.

If it is just the head that has been damaged, head over to the local hardware store and grab a damaged screw remover. They will bite into what is left of the screw and let you remove it(the screw will never work again, but it will come out).

As for the video card temperature, that is not overly hot. i get my 5870 to those temps with some more demanding games.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 11:25:43 PM

If I couldn't remove the screw, or push it through as Nuke described, then I would slot the screwdriver blade in as close as I could to the screw and twist, that should crack the housing enough,
Drilling out is a Pain, and also as mentioned creates lots of tiny metal fragments not good for a Pc hehe
Moto
!