Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which board should i buy ?

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2012 7:13:34 PM

i am thinking of buying an intel i3 2100 3.1ghz lga 1150 processor. with 4 gig RAM and a nvidia geforce gt 520 or a radeon 6700 and i dont need sli or 3d.
which motherboard would be suitable for gaming ? i wanna run bf3 on medium - high settings and my budget is about 120$ for the motherboard.
i already have a intel dual core 5700 processor 2 gig RAM and nvidia geforce 9400 gt so will the new hardware be better than the existing one ?
Also, i wanna know what effect does the RAM of the gfx card have on it ?

More about : board buy

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 7:32:43 PM

Just to clarify, i3 2100 is LGA 1155, not 1150. the gt 520 is not a very good video card to be completely honest with you. Even for a budget PC, its just garbage. the 2100 i3 will do fine for gaming, but you really would be better off to spend a little bit more on a better video card, video cards matter more in terms of gaming performance than a processor. Its the one place you don't want to cheap out on for a decent gaming system.

For an absolutely tight budget, I would consider this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

And a video card like this.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Cheaper on the motherboard than you were expecting, should give you flexible budgets for a proper video card. Keep in mind, this motherboard is a refurb, as such Asus only offers a 2 month warranty on it. This motherboard is substantially better, and comes with a 3 year warranty: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

As to the affects of the RAM in the gfx card, a Graphics card is basically a separate processor with its own RAM. The higher quality/speed the RAM is, the better the card will perform as a rule. But there are other factors as well, such as the speed of the GPU. You'll see RAM types on video cards such as GDDR3, GDDR5, etc, these refer to the versions. The higher the version, in theory the higher performance they offer. GDDR5 is the current/latest version.
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 7:36:42 PM

Get the 6770 video card, or a 6790, instead of the 520. The 520 is just really low end.

A regular Gigabyte Z68 motherboard should be available for about $120, get that.

RAM - It depends on the speed, but the RAM will have to be at least 1066 if not 1333 for it to work. If it isn't, then the computer won't be able to work right.

Also, you want at least 4 GBs of RAM. If you have a 64 bit OS then 8GB is ideal.

The 6770 is like having about 6x of the 9400s or the 520s. The 6790 is even better than that.

The RAM of the graphics card is of a great deal of importance.

In particular, it reduces your regular RAM by that much. So if you had 2GBs of RAM and bought a 2GB video card, you would essentially have 0 GBs of regular RAM.

This is why it is ideal to have 4 (32 bit OS) or 8 GBs of RAM (64 bit OS) right now.

The more RAM on the video card, the larger the monitor that it can support or the more monitors it can support.

If you are only going to have one monitor and it is a small one, then only 512 MB, 768 MB, or 1GB of Video card RAM is OK. That way it takes up less of your regular RAM.

Either way, whatever the RAM on your video card, you definitely want to increase up to 4GBs of regular RAM.

If the RAM you have now is of the right speed, then you can just get another of the exact same kind.

Otherwise, I would suggest CT51264BA1339 for $20 as a replacement 1x 4GB stick (32 bit OS) or CT2KIT51264BA1339 2x 4GB sticks (64 bit OS) for $40.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2012 7:45:57 PM

Oh wow that really helped a hell lot.. which i3 should i buy ? Have u got any other suggestions fot a motherboard than z68.. ? may be a bit lower than that ?
m
l
March 25, 2012 7:57:47 PM

You said you had a budget of $120 for the motherboard, do you not?

There should be Z68 boards from Gigabyte or Asus that are sub $100 as well, like $80 or $90. You can get one of those instead if you need to.

You should get the 2120 processor. It has built in graphics capability (and a motherboard with built in HDMI or DVI rear IO ports) because these things make troubleshooting some rather common problems 100x easier and cheaper.
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:00:44 PM

The 2100 should be fine for your purposes.

The EVGA board I recommended in my last post is about as cheap as your going to get for a z68 Chipset. I did manage to find this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But the EVGA board is still better, and not that much more.

m
l
March 25, 2012 8:19:04 PM

Ok... so let me give u guyS the real picture.. i am in india and these products cost more than they cost in the states here. My total budget is like 20000-22000 rupees.. thats like 400-440$ i have to buy a harddisk RAM and all the little things in this money..
The 2120 cost about 7000 rupees here .. thats about 140$
Z68 - ATX form factor cost 14000 rupees which is 280$ and the micro ATX costs 10000 rupees which is 200$ plus i have to buy hdd 250GB which is about 80$ and 4 gig ram costs like 30$ :p 
So i am going outta budget.. :/ 
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:32:26 PM

Those boards are almost identical with small differences (none of them matter if you're going for a budget computer)

Yes, they will both work. But neither of them are z68 chipsets. they are H67.
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:37:28 PM

So these r good enough for gaming right ?
i dont mind if i dont play bf3 on high settings.
Even medium is good for me.
Will it run mw3 at high ?
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:40:49 PM

divJ said:
So these r good enough for gaming right ?
i dont mind if i dont play bf3 on high settings.
Even medium is good for me.
Will it run mw3 at high ?

Assuming you get a decent video card like the 550TI I have, yes.
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:07:35 PM

ok but 550 gets me outta budget... so anyways. i have chosen the products for my pc.. so these r the links and can u check that will these components work together well ?
GFX CARD--> https://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-radeon-hd-667...

PROCESSOR AND BOARD--> https://www.flipkart.com/intel-dh67bl-i3-2100-processor...

HDD--> www.flipkart.com/wd-caviar-blue-500-gb-hdd-internal-har...

RAM--> I HAVE CHOSEN 2. YOU SELECT WHICH WILL WORK AND IS BETTER --> www.flipkart.com/corsair-vengeance-ddr3-4-gb-1-x-gb-pc-...

www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr3-1333-ddr3-4-gb-pc-ram-j...

Thanks a lot !! :) 
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:30:10 PM

The 6670 is pretty low end, for anyone that wants to do any kind serious gaming, I would suggest a minimum of 6770.

If all you can afford is H67, it will still work. It is quite a ripoff that you might have to pay $280 USD for even the suckiest Z68 board. That would make me very angry indeed.

Moreso because I got my motherboard for free from Micro Center. It isn't a super high end motherboard or anything, but I guess in the U.S. we just have retailers with motherboard prices that make sense.

We can get low end Z68 boards for like 60 or 70 USD here.

I don't know if you can get stuff through customs in India, but you should definitely look into it.

The 2120 for $140 isn't so horrible, I think most people around here end up paying about $120 or so for it, but the motherboards are kinda ridiculous.

I only had to pay 80 for both my processor and my motherboard, though, so it is still a lot to me, but I am poor.

RAM - Generally I would not advise anyone to get Corsair RAM, but if those are the only two choices then get the Corsair one.

HD - WD Caviar Blue is a good brand/model line.
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:40:40 PM

By customs u mean import right ?
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:44:02 PM

divJ said:
ok but 550 gets me outta budget... so anyways. i have chosen the products for my pc.. so these r the links and can u check that will these components work together well ?
GFX CARD--> https://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-radeon-hd-667...

PROCESSOR AND BOARD--> https://www.flipkart.com/intel-dh67bl-i3-2100-processor...

HDD--> www.flipkart.com/wd-caviar-blue-500-gb-hdd-internal-har...

RAM--> I HAVE CHOSEN 2. YOU SELECT WHICH WILL WORK AND IS BETTER --> www.flipkart.com/corsair-vengeance-ddr3-4-gb-1-x-gb-pc-...

www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr3-1333-ddr3-4-gb-pc-ram-j...

Thanks a lot !! :) 

You're still picking a pretty low end video card. I understand if the budget is tight, but you really would be much happier saving more money and waiting until you can afford a decent card. Raiddinn knows his stuff, I generally stick to Nvidia for recommendations because I'm more familiar with them (not because they aren't as good). If you could find a store that has an older GTX 460 even for cheap, you'd be in good shape.

I don't know what Raiddins personal experience with Corsair RAM is, I did have a problem with one of my 8GB sticks (8GB sticks are fairly new and known to be quirky regardless of the brand- this shouldn't be a problem for you since you're not buying one), but Corsair was very good about replacing it for me. In terms of customer support, they were probably the one of those most friendly and helpful customer service situations I've ever had.

And yes, but customs, he means importing. That may be a good alternative.
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:51:04 PM

I love nvidia but the problem is that they are expensive. What gfx card do u recommend in radeon ? but price is a problem
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:52:50 PM

Buying from outside india aint cheap either cuz of the import duty n other ***. Tax is really high
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 10:06:01 PM

i have a HD 6770 and i play BF3 multiplayer on high settings at around 35ish fps. you probably shouldnt go any lower than a 6770 because BF3 is a GPU intenstive game. If your budget for a board is 120$, get a budget board at like 80$ and spend the extra on a better graphics card.
m
l
March 25, 2012 10:14:13 PM

divJ said:
I love nvidia but the problem is that they are expensive. What gfx card do u recommend in radeon ? but price is a problem

I'm not the one to ask for a recommendation on Radeon cards. But looking thru that website you're buying from, I'm not really sure if theres much there on your current budget you're really going to be happy with. Like I said, if you can find another store that has GTX 460s left (they're discontinued now), they're pretty decent, despite being older generation.
m
l
March 25, 2012 10:25:37 PM

And i cant buy second hand stuff so thats off the case
m
l
March 25, 2012 10:34:30 PM

divJ said:
So i looked u for a cheap board so u guys select which would be the best for this processor --> www.flipkart.com/intel-3-1-ghz-lga-1155-core-i3-2100-pr...

These r the boards --> www.flipkart.com/browse/computers/components/motherboar...

The BIOSstar board will work, I'd rather spend a little more and go with a better brand though, Asus, MSI, etc.

And not 2nd hand video card, there may be a store that has a brand new GTX 460 that were never sold, no promises though. Theres a few American stores that still have em.
m
l
March 25, 2012 10:37:55 PM

Its compatible with the processor right? And with radeon 6770 ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 11:09:14 PM

since youre on a budget, go with the cheaper motherboard.

and both motherboards will fit all your parts
m
l
March 25, 2012 11:21:18 PM

Sure right ? cuz i saw a review for the gfx card where a guy had a problem with the pci slot thing. I dont understand it. Can ya see it on the gfx card link ? Give it a look please . I realy wanna be sure about these things cz its a lotta money on the line for me
m
l
March 25, 2012 11:23:54 PM

divJ said:
Sure right ? cuz i saw a review for the gfx card where a guy had a problem with the pci slot thing. I dont understand it. Can ya see it on the gfx card link ? Give it a look please . I realy wanna be sure about these things cz its a lotta money on the line for me

You'll want to look for a motherboard that has a PCI 2.0 x16 slot (they all should), any video card that meets this requirement will be compatible.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2012 11:33:57 PM

divJ said:

yep

both motherboards have LGA1155 sockets which will fit your i3-2100
both have a PCIe x16 slot for your graphics card.
both support your dd3 memory with 1333 mhz
both have sata headers for your hard drive

youre good to go :D 

edit: just make sure you have a minimum of 450 watt power supply with a 6 pin pci express power connector for your graphics card
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...
m
l
March 26, 2012 12:35:44 AM

Its honestly hard to find a board with a 1155 slot that doesn't accept the most basic stuff, like a PCIE x16 card, 1333 RAM, SATA ports, and so on.

As long as you get any regular 1155 board, it should work. The better brands just mean it is less likely that you open the box and find something that is broken straight from the factory.

I know what its like to be worried about parts compatibility, though. I have been known to agonize over each individual part in a new build. By agonizing I mean like 1 whole day of painstaking research per part.

I don't really have to do that now, I know a lot more now than I did then. Now I can whip together a build in a very short amount of time that will be very unlikely to have DOA parts or anything that isn't compatible or stuff like that.

Spend about 4 hours a day in here for a good month and you can be pretty much certified right away as a computer technician. Obviously, they will want you to take some tests and all that, but the kinda stuff people in here deal with on a daily basis are the sorts of things they want you to know about in the computer tests.

Not that that is what people in here do, I mean I have 7 years working in computer hardware/software professionally, but I can tell you that I learned a whole lot in the first month I came in here that I didn't know before that. Some problems just aren't as common in an enterprise setting.

Anyway, try not to be so stressed out about this stuff. You have a lot of good people backing you up who would like nothing more than for you to have a beautifully functioning computer for a reasonable cost.

Motherboards - I would take the P8H61-M LX board if it were me instead of the Biostar. Biostar is much newer and has much less of a solid track record than Asus has. I trust the brands most that have long histories of high quality, and out of the options present, the Asus seems to be the cheapest motherboard that I can put my trust behind.
m
l
March 26, 2012 8:26:31 AM

So looks like i am 70% through with this ! yay ! lol
But i didnt understand one thing which is whats the difference between the p8h61 m LX and p8h61 plus v2
m
l
March 26, 2012 10:23:06 AM

Also guys pls tell me about the other things like the power supply, fans l. I have no idea about them but i wanna use my existing stuff. So how do i identify if they r compatible with the new stuff and also my cabinet ! :/ 
m
l
March 26, 2012 5:51:45 PM

I didn't look back through the thread to find out what case and PSU you had, but unless they are from an OEM like DELL, IBM, or HP then you probably have a universal case and universal mounts.

That means whether or not something fits in the case or whether the PSU fits into the motherboard is usually something you don't have to worry about.

The bigger questions are usually:
1) How does my case impact the lifespan of the components I am putting in it?
and
2) How does the PSU impact the lifespan of the components I am connecting to it?

The most simple way to answer those questions is just saying that you get what you pay for. The cheapest stuff is most likely to destroy components and the most expensive stuff is the most unlikely to do so.

If all you want to know is that they physically fit, the answer is most likely yes. You can go to the manufacturer's website and see how long this card is (or maybe the website where you are buying it has the info) and you can look on the case manufacturer's website to make sure it is long enough on the inside to fit a card of that length. They pretty much all have this information.

You can also look on the PSU maker or seller's website and see if there are however many PCIE connectors on the PSU as there are on the card and if so then you are good there too.

If it is a 6770 you are getting you may not even need a power connector to it. It may be fine with the 75w from the motherboard.

For between the motherboard and the case, if you must look it up, all you have to do is look at the motherboard type (either ATX or Micro ATX) and go to the case maker's website and see if it has that listed. For the most part every universal case supports both.
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:00:54 PM

But i m still not sure about the damn motherboard .. which one is suitable ? Plus v2 or LX ?
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:04:50 PM

The cabinet is of iball
But i dont know anything about the psu.. how do i find it out ?
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:09:10 PM

I do know which board i have so maybe u could find out which heatsink/fan i have ?
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:39:39 PM

divJ said:
I do know which board i have so maybe u could find out which heatsink/fan i have ?

Why do you need to know which fan/heatsink your current build has if you're going to be doing a new build? I'm pretty sure the i-3 you will buy comes with its own heatsink/fan for it. I think we might be losing something in translation here. No big deal, you're English is still better that a lot of people I've met in Washington DC. :o 

I've never heard of iball computer cases, but seems like its a homebuilt type case not a pre-built brand, so you shouldn't have any problems with using it again. I found their website here http://www.iball.co.in/Product.aspx it looks like most of their cases only support Micro-ATX motherboards, so see if you can find your case there and check the model number to see if it supports ATX and/or MicroATX.

As far as knowing what type of power supply you have,. You'll want to look at it and read the information off the label. You may have to take the power supply out of the computer to see it (depending on how the PSU is mounted into the case- mine's upside down with the fan pointing into the case, so I'd have to take mine out to see the sticker side). The brand, model number, wattage output, voltage outputs should all be on a label on one side of the PSU.
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:46:05 PM

i wanna know about the heatsink fan cuz i cant buy a new one as i am outta budget.. my fan is facing north... like they usually are. its not upside down or up..
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:51:11 PM

divJ said:
i wanna know about the heatsink fan cuz i cant buy a new one as i am outta budget.. my fan is facing north... like they usually are. its not upside down or up..

Just to make sure, we're talking about the heatsink/fan on the processor? right?.. the i3 you buy should come with its own heatsink/fan. You shouldn't have to buy another.
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:57:40 PM

oh *** ! :p  i completely forgot that.. u didnt tEll me the difference about the motherboards yet .. LX and PLUS V2
m
l
March 26, 2012 7:46:45 PM

come on guys cant we be faster ? i wanna order the stuff tomorrow... i got just 3 hrs left fr today.. :/ 
m
l
March 26, 2012 10:38:19 PM

come on someone freakin help me out..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2012 10:55:39 PM

divJ said:
oh *** ! :p  i completely forgot that.. u didnt tEll me the difference about the motherboards yet .. LX and PLUS V2

im not sure what the difference is between the lx and plus. Either way both motherboards will be compatible with all your parts.

for the psu, you should open up your case and find out the maker and model.
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:01:09 PM

divJ said:
come on guys cant we be faster ? i wanna order the stuff tomorrow... i got just 3 hrs left fr today.. :/ 

LOL sorry, I'm a full time college student, with a full time job, and a full time significant other I do have other obligations than this forum. :sarcastic: 

The boards are both compatible, but your case and power supply are what needs to be checked at this point.

m
l
March 26, 2012 11:08:28 PM

full time college and full time job ? LOL
DAMN... u work at your college ?
gimme guidelines to check my psu and whatever u think is to be checked !
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:11:06 PM

divJ said:
full time college and full time job ? LOL
DAMN... u work at your college ?
gimme guidelines to check my psu and whatever u think is to be checked !

Nope, I work in a warehouse. My college classes are half online/half lecture.

As far as what to check on the PSU, wattage, amps, volts brand, model, approximate age. (if the manufacture date is not on the label). Just look at the label and type it all. If you're gonna have to take the PSU out, you may as well copy everything the label says.
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:17:38 PM

how do i take the psu out ? i dont know an anything about it ! :/ 
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:28:19 PM

just so u know i cant take out anything other than ram ... lol
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:33:42 PM

divJ said:
how do i take the psu out ? i dont know an anything about it ! :/ 

I do not recommend you trying to attempt to build a computer if you don't know this stuff already. You could try to watching youtube tutorials, but any wrong move and you could possibly damage something. I recommend you buy a console, as they are cheaper may be more in budget. A basic Xbox360 is only about $200.
m
l
!