Sign in with
Your question

What PSU should i get

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2012 7:44:12 PM

I just built a new computer and my old 700 watt psu is not doing it. If i play games on kind of high settings the computer restarts. I can deal with this for now but i need a new psu. Whats the cheapest one i can buy that will work well with my system with some overclocking.
Mobo: ASrock z68 extreme4 gen3
CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: Gtx 580 (will uprgade to 680)
Memory: 2 4 gb ddr3
HDD: 1tb 7200 rpm
Fans: Coolermaster 212+ 2 220m fans and 1 120m fan.

More about : psu

March 25, 2012 7:50:25 PM

It matters what case you have. You should have at least a HAF 912.

PSU - XFX 650w or XFX 750w will be fine.

Also, I just wanted to say that if you are going to be using a 580 or a 680, the idea shouldn't be to buy the crappiest PSU you possibly can. You need solid power delivery for these cards.

The fact that your computer with a 580 in it continually restarts because of inadequate power delivery should tell you something.

This instant power loss can damage computer components, like the video card.

A computer with all this money spent to buy the cards should have adequate parts necessary to cool those parts and to power them.

Otherwise, I would suggest to get a good quality case and PSU before you think about getting the 680.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 25, 2012 7:56:14 PM

Quote:
It matters what case you have. You should have at least a HAF 912.

PSU - XFX 650w or XFX 750w will be fine.

It doesn't - you can use any standard ATX PSU on pretty much any full or mid tower ATX case, you don't have to buy an HAF 912 just for that if that's not the case you're using.
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:56:28 PM

Don't even imply that any random PSU in any random case can get paired with a 580 or 680 and a good user experience will be the result.

It is already clearly not that way now, and that is why the OP is even in here.

Overclocking magnifies problems in the cooling and power subsystems.

If the OPs case is good enough already, then sure there is no reason to get a new one, but if it isn't then there is clearly a good reason to get a new one.

It most definitely does impact the problem for which this thread was even created, and it would be doing the OP a disservice to even begin to imply that there is no relationship between cases and computer restarting.
m
l
March 25, 2012 10:17:37 PM

I have a coolermaster haf 922. By cheapest i mean cheapest that i can get a good user experience. G-unit has been alot of help but i still would want another suggestion.
m
l
March 25, 2012 10:58:34 PM

Quote:
Don't even imply that any random PSU in any random case can get paired with a 580 or 680 and a good user experience will be the result.

It is already clearly not that way now, and that is why the OP is even in here.

Well true - I wouldn't want to put it in a junk case like an Apevia or a Xion, that's for sure. But why wouldn't any case work with any PSU? I've fit 850 - 1K watt PSUs in crappy Apevia and Ultra cases and been perfectly fine.

Quote:
do you think this would work
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cooler [...] &cp=1&lp=3

The Silent Pro isn't a good choice - apparently Cooler Master is really dishonest in their PSU practices - a lot of them have fake labels and certifications, and things of that nature. This would be a better choice: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Enthusiast+TX650M...
m
l
March 25, 2012 11:16:28 PM

Do you think 650 watts is enough if ill be swtiching to the 680 in a few months and ill be overclocking a little bit.
g-unit1111 said:

The Silent Pro isn't a good choice - apparently Cooler Master is really dishonest in their PSU practices - a lot of them have fake labels and certifications, and things of that nature. This would be a better choice: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Enthusiast+TX650M...

m
l
March 26, 2012 12:17:57 AM

The Corsair is about the only halfway decent PSU maker that Best Buy carries, unless they still have Seasonic brand (IIRC they did at some point in the past).

The TX model line is one of the better ones Corsair has, so if you want to get a reliable PSU from Best Buy that is probably your best bet.

The TX 650 should be enough to manage 1x 680 with low amounts of OCing.

Case - Sure any universal PSU will fit in any universal case, but that isn't what is important. What is important is whether the 680 will fit in a given case and whether it will overheat in any given case.

Those two things aren't nearly as clear.

For the most part, anything $50 or less is usually a top mount pretty sad case. Just above that is the HAF 912 and the Antec 300.

Anything more expensive than those is probably a bottom mount case like those are. Either that or a case that a store bought 10 years ago and kept on the shelf that long.

- Edit - It doesn't matter anyway if the OP has a HAF 922. That is more than good enough if there are adequate fans installed.
m
l
!