Sign in with
Your question

Pulled out CPU, now the computer is slow to boot.

Last response: in CPUs
July 9, 2012 4:34:15 AM

Hello, I have a problem. I removed my heatsink the other day and the CPU was pulled out with it. Then without thinking I tried to put it back in without releasing the socket. I checked to make sure I didn't bend any pins on the CPU, and I didn't, so I put it back in right. Now, the computer boots, but it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to boot, which when compared to the normal under 2 minute boot, that is way too long. Plus Windows doesn't even come up completely. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tyler
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2012 2:36:19 PM

Your CPU is overheating, and its throttling down to save it self, thus the slow speed. Once it reaches the windows loading part, the load is so much that it has to shut down.

Remove your heatsink, and re-apply it PROPERLY, along with correct application of thermal paste. :) 
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2012 3:08:27 PM

What CPU and mobo is it?

U will need to get the thermal paste for correct reapply.
Related resources
July 9, 2012 3:50:03 PM

The cpu fan is plugged in and spinning right?
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2012 3:55:01 PM

Did u apply new thermal paste before u pushed it back?
July 9, 2012 10:55:51 PM

No I didn't reapply any thermal paste, I didn't know you had to. So is there any special paste you have to buy? I've seen some at best buy is that the right stuff? And the CPU is an Intel Pentium 4.

Thanks, Tyler
July 10, 2012 7:53:49 AM

Ok, I don't know if I didn't do it right or something, but it's still booting slow. I think it's just messed up or something.

--Tyler

Edit: Is it possible that I could have messed up one of the contacts in the socket for the CPU?
!