run older VGA games in separate window?

Sam

I have a slightly messed up display that does not support 640x480. It
supports all other resolutions fine and we like the monitor but the
issue is some of our kids games. They force the monitor to
full-screen 640x480 that is not supported and thus, our kids can't
play the games.

Anyone out there have an idea or some application that can run these
older gamse in a separate window (leaving the monitor resolution set
to something that our screen supports)? I'm thinking along the lines
of an xwindows type program...

thanks

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Get a new monitor...they are real cheap now!

sam wrote:
> I have a slightly messed up display that does not support 640x480. It
> supports all other resolutions fine and we like the monitor but the
> issue is some of our kids games. They force the monitor to
> full-screen 640x480 that is not supported and thus, our kids can't
> play the games.
>
> Anyone out there have an idea or some application that can run these
> older gamse in a separate window (leaving the monitor resolution set
> to something that our screen supports)? I'm thinking along the lines
> of an xwindows type program...
>
> thanks

It's likely the video card drivers that do not support the 640x480
resolution. You might try the Compatibility Mode feature to force the
640x480 resolution.

First locate the executable file for the game. This file will have an .EXE
file extension. To do this, look in the games folder (usually under
C:\Program Files\<Game> folder).

Once the executable file is found, right click the file and select
Properties from the menu. Click the Compatibility Tab and select the "Run in
640x480 Screen Resolution" option. Apply/OK and try the game again.

Let me know if this helps. If not there are some other things we can try.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

TRENDING THREADS