Screen flickering on/off and dims

bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
So on boot, sometimes the screen will flash on and off, sometimes once, sometimes it just keeps flipping on and off. I reinstalled drivers thinking that this was the problem and it seemed to be remedied until just a few minutes ago it started up again. Additionally, it seems like sometimes the colors are distorted and then the screen will get brighter and the colors will look right again

The blinking is incredibly erratic and just occurs when the computer is more idle than not. Never had flickering issues while watching Netflix or Playing games or anything like that.

Now I just got this card a couple months ago, and I've had problems with faulty cards in the past, but it seems so unlikely that I've had more than 3 cards mess up on me in the past 6 months, so I'm starting to question if its the LCD screen going out now. I've had it for about 4 years, so its entirely possible that its going out. It also gets quite hot, but I've heard that a lot of LCDs do this.. I can't think of a way to know for sure, any suggestions?

CPU: AMD Phenom x6 1100T
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Card: AMD HD6950
Screen: Hannspree HF259H

No bumps here. They don't work. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277636-28-read-first

If this has happened with more then one card, the screen (or some element of the connection between the computer and the screen) is the problem. I think the best idea would be to eliminate parts one at a time. Do you have access to another monitor you can use? Some friend must be willing to lend you one if you don't have another with you. Try another DVI cable first, just to put that out of the picture, and then another monitor. If the problem persists, it comes from somewhere else. If not, you'll just have to get a new one.

bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the bumps, I'm fairly new here... I think I can get my hands on an alternate graphics card, but I'm not sure how to replicate the issue to be sure of what it is...

bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I don't think I have access to another monitor. I figure if I can replace the card and make it still flicker I can make sure its the monitor and go from there...

I contacted XFX support for the card and they reccomended a complete driver reinstall, so I uninstalled CCC and the drivers and now it will not boot at all. Hangs on loading ahcix64.dll in safe mode boot and then just restarts itself over and over...