grogmonster

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hello,
I dont know if yu can help me. But years ago you could buy power supply with not only the 240v inlet but also 240v outlet. That was controlled by the computer being switched on and/or off. IE when the computer was shut down then the power to the outlet was also switched off. If these are still available can you please supply me the model number. So I can purchase one

Regards

Greg

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
You are really dating yourself here, the sad thing, I remember those. I have not seen that in a very long time and had almost forgotten about them. I found this quote written in 2001, "I don't believe this feature is employed in the newer form factor power supplies, since they use soft power and not a mechanical switch to turn the PC on and off. It was quite common on PC/XT, AT, and Baby AT systems, and allowed the PC to use only one power outlet instead of two."
found here
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsCordPass-c.html
And that does explain why I haven't seen any in quite a while - I do not believe they are available at all anymore.
One factor anymore is that monitors go into low power "sleep" mode when there is no signal (or sleep signal) so they do not require powering down like the monitor had in those olden tymes. The outlet was suppose to connect to the monitor (since water cooling was super rare then) so when you switched on the computer, the monitor came on also (you knew that). Another factor, inexpensive power strips - could do the same thing almost.

I guess I know the convenience of those PSU's. I have 3 of them myself, save me from a lot of cable clutter when it comes to the mains outlet. I have my monitors on those connectors since they came with sleek cables.

If you're looking for some 80+ gold or bronze certified PSU's with those connectors..... it's next to impossible. Nowadays PSU companies concentrate more on the micro electronics of the PSU to deliver the right juice for today's highly demanding rigs.
But here's something you would not mind buying and I think would be sufficient for your needs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338010

4745454b

Titan
I look at a PSU like that and there is no way I would let it near my rig. No PFC, "up to" 70% efficient, bad/no name company, no PCIe/SATA plugs, etc. No way that PSU is allowed in the same room as my computer.

Is there a reason you want this? I would think some sort of surge protector/power strip would be a better way to go.

grogmonster

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

THANK YOU for your reply, I have been doing a lot of research and I now monitiors are very much different now, however I see a need to shut everything else down. I turn the lights off in the room and between theprinters, sound system and lights on in various other power supplies that are only used when the computer is switched on it appears that the lights are still on in the room. I rea somewhere that there is a power supply that uses load detection to switch other units on or off. Having read it once I'm not sure wheher these do what I require or if the computer puts enough load on thecircuit for the unit to activate.

regards

Greg

grogmonster

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Thank You, to everyone that responded. I have taken in all the information supplied, and contacted any suggestions. I had read about "load sensing" PSUs. But I can't remember where I read it.

Regards
greg