Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to tell if my CPU, motherboard, or RAM is dead?

Last response: in Components
July 9, 2012 10:46:37 AM

Hello, last night I accidentally spilled some tea on my desk, I unplugged my keyboard to clean it and my desk off. When done I plugged my keyboard back into my computer, and then my computer froze. I then realized some of the tea had dripped into the top fan of my case. I immediately unplugged my computer and took out my GPU which seemed to have the most tea on it. I cleaned it off and then cleaned out the rest of my hardware (which really only my GPU and PSU seemed to have gotten wet.) I then let my computer sit open over night to evaporate any leftover liquid...

Once I woke up I tried to turn it on, my fans and LED turn on, but I get no signal. Also, my mouse/keyboard lights never turn on, which concludes that my computer isn't booting at all...

To diagnose what was wrong I borrowed my mom's computer and put my GPU in it, and it worked just fine. I then put my PSU in her computer and it also worked fine. Finally I then put my hard drive in her computer and it too works just fine. The issue is her motherboard is incompatible with my RAM and CPU so I can't test them...

So to sum it up I need to know if I can find a way to figure out if it is my CPU, motherboard, or RAM that isn't working, as I have ruled out everything else.
So far I am leaning toward my motherboard being the problem considering my computer froze initially when I had plugged my keyboard back into it, but I'm not really sure.

My specs are:
Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3
AMD Phenom II x4 960T
ATI Radeon HD 6850
G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Raidmax RX-530SS 530W

More about : cpu motherboard ram dead

Best solution

July 9, 2012 10:59:09 AM

Most likly the mb got wet and fried id say cpu and ram are fine but id say mb is definatly toast..Sorry no other way to test unless you had spare cpu and memory...
July 9, 2012 10:59:36 AM

Most likely the motherboard between those components.
m
l
July 16, 2012 3:10:54 AM

Best answer selected by xBlinkedx.
m
l
!