Sign in with
Your question

HD3870x2 dying????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2012 7:28:04 PM

I have a dell XPS 630i with HD3870x2 about 3 years old or so. Recently I have had alot of crashes and most recently problems booting. The display is corrupted by wee white dots from the initial bootup screen through login and onto the desktop. Sometimes it crashes completely and freezes.

Could it be my card or are there other possibilities?

More about : hd3870x2 dying

January 19, 2012 7:45:08 PM

Dimli said:
I have a dell XPS 630i with HD3870x2 about 3 years old or so. Recently I have had alot of crashes and most recently problems booting. The display is corrupted by wee white dots from the initial bootup screen through login and onto the desktop. Sometimes it crashes completely and freezes.

Usually white dots/ artifacting/ strange colors points to a dieing GPU. Do you have a spare one to try out?
January 19, 2012 7:49:08 PM

Unfortunately I do not. If I disable the card or uninstall the drivers should I get a normal, albeit visually less impressive startup?
Related resources
January 19, 2012 7:56:27 PM

It depends on the severity of the problem. Try hitting F8 on reboot and login to safe mode - if it still looks like garbage, I would try out a new GPU.

BTW are these white dots always in the same spot? Or are they all over?
January 19, 2012 8:11:48 PM

Do you have an Intergrated GPU inside your Motherboard? If so, try that one by removing your current graphic card and see if it looks also like garbage.
January 19, 2012 8:13:57 PM

Usually GPUs trend to work or not work, and shouldn't have artefacts before booting in Windows... Worse is that I have an old old old GeForce 6800 that still works after so many years of consecutive use...
February 3, 2012 7:56:09 PM

Dimli said:

Could it be my card or are there other possibilities?

I have the exact same problem, same model and it started sometime in january. Right now Im getting strange dots even on the dell logo at boot. Im getting them in Bios also, but if I leave the computer on for a while it disappears.

Ive tried all kinds of different drivers in windows also, but as of today I cant get into windows. Im getting bsod at the end of windows startup.
!