Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New build with i5-2400 3.1 LGA1155, what mobo?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2012 11:08:27 PM

Hi community,

im trying to replace/upgrade my current 3-4 year old system:
AMD X2 4200+
GF 9600GT
4GB RAM
MSI board (dont remember what, but will get dropped anyway ;) )

Im not interested in overclocking (at least not in the first 2 years ;)  ) or good SLI/XF support (i read about the pipes stuff for better SLI/XF support...just no need).

My focus is to have a good and hopefully long-life combination of mainboard and cpu.

8 GB RAM and a decent Graphic card for about 100$ - 150$ (thinking of a HD 6850 or 6770) should round the system up i think.

Any suggestions for a mainboard?

Thanks in advance !

More about : build 2400 lga1155 mobo

March 25, 2012 11:13:19 PM

Oh, and my usage preferences: Diablo3 (root cause of the whole upgrade). So mainly gaming :) 
Related resources
March 25, 2012 11:26:08 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: End of April, Beginning of May

Budget Range: 500-700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing, movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, case, hdd

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none yet

Country: Germany

Parts Preferences: i5-2400, other parts i dont care

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768, 1280x1024
March 26, 2012 12:49:58 AM

Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Since you don't need a HDD or Case, that's about $140 off, use that money to get the 7850.

See if the pricing works out as these are us pricings.
March 26, 2012 7:50:47 AM

2. Motherboard - I recommend the Asrock H61M/U3S3 @ $75. It's fairly decent performing board and has USB 3 as well as SATA III. It'll future proof you for a long time.

I thought of a good Mobo, for about 100$ to 130$. Im not really up to date, but from the times i was somehow (so 3 or 4 years ago) AsRock wasn't a good choice.

Im not really caring about the over all price of this system.
I just need a good suggestion of a mainboard for this i5-2400.

Except of mainboard, cpu and maybe a good PSU i think of buying low budget parts. Replacing a Graphic Card in about a year again for 100$ again is easier than replacing CPU + mainboard.
March 26, 2012 8:40:39 AM

Why do people insist on an H model MB for budget builds on Intel Core LGA 1155 2nd gen CPU's? Z model MB's have some nice advantages even if you don't overclock. I have a $125 Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 and it's a great MB IMHO. There are some less expensive Z MB's as well.
A 2400 and a 6850 should make a good rig.
A lot of posters say they don't need a new OS when upgrading their entire computer setup. I'd like to hear from some people who successfully go from an AMD to an Intel setup and can convince Intel it's not just a faulty motherboard replacement.
March 26, 2012 9:19:22 AM

Sorry, but whats Z and H model? :) 

It's just my former experience, a loooong time ago i had a ASUS A7N8X-X, which died and i just needed a new mainboard without upgrading the other parts. The only available was a Asrock and i was not very happy with that mainboard...

What do you mean by no new OS? Currently im running Win7, and of course will reinstall etc after the upgrade. Or did i get your point wrong?
March 26, 2012 9:57:02 AM

Your new build will ask you to activate the Win 7 OS again when you fire it up. Maybe not right away but in a few days. Then you will find out.
OK, so you didn't like Asrock. Get what you want.
March 26, 2012 10:11:59 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
Why do people insist on an H model MB for budget builds on Intel Core LGA 1155 2nd gen CPU's? Z model MB's have some nice advantages even if you don't overclock. I have a $125 Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 and it's a great MB IMHO. There are some less expensive Z MB's as well.
A 2400 and a 6850 should make a good rig.
A lot of posters say they don't need a new OS when upgrading their entire computer setup. I'd like to hear from some people who successfully go from an AMD to an Intel setup and can convince Intel it's not just a faulty motherboard replacement.


most serial upgraders no not to by oem for that reason alot of us either have full retail and the rest no how to get over microsofts hurdles so to speak
March 26, 2012 10:30:39 AM
March 26, 2012 11:32:18 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
Your new build will ask you to activate the Win 7 OS again when you fire it up. Maybe not right away but in a few days. Then you will find out.
OK, so you didn't like Asrock. Get what you want.


Are you getting money for every Asrock Board sold?
It was just my experience from a long time ago, but if im not allowed to tell my experiences here, i better stop talking.
Im not that happy with my current MSI as well, but both boards were bought without better knowledge, so maybe it was just my stupidity to buy these boards and meanwhile they rock like hell, i dont know.

Im just trying to get some experience and suggestions from users, is that a fail?

And whats the problem with that OS? Does M$ does not allow me to use the same OS on my new system? If so, im hating them more and more...hope the wine community will allow me to play diablo3, so i can get rid of that damn windows.

Does any1 know if Radeon cards still lack of driver support for linux? I heard they are getting better, but GeForce cards always had better support here...
March 26, 2012 11:40:38 AM

thanks blobbs, i will have a look on this mainboard, at least in a local store here it's in the price range i expected to buy a mainboard.
dyou have any good tests/reports on it?
i just want to get sure to buy something good this time :) 
March 26, 2012 1:24:51 PM

pldsen said:
thanks blobbs, i will have a look on this mainboard, at least in a local store here it's in the price range i expected to buy a mainboard.
dyou have any good tests/reports on it?
i just want to get sure to buy something good this time :) 



I'm sorry to say i have not yet build my first pc but a admin on a other fourm said i should use this for my rig and by mainboard you mean motherboard the Z68 has on-board graphics and allows overclocking but you can still add a graphic card and the good thing about it is its a 1155 socket that allowes upgrades like i5 2500k

March 26, 2012 10:58:00 PM

Lol Delroy that is an ignorant statement. The Z68 boards are great, no doubt but some people don't want to overclock or take advantage of Crossfire SLI in the future, those would be the only advantages Z68 has over H61/H67, that and the limitation of DDR3 1333 but other than that not a huge deal.

Let me make this clear, Z68, H61/H67 do NOT have on board graphics, the graphics is all on the CPU, eg. i3 2100, i5 2400, i5 2500K etc. Not on the motherboard. Z68 isn't the only chip that allows you utilize onboard graphics as H61/H67 does as well.


March 27, 2012 6:20:16 AM

aznshinobi said:
Lol Delroy that is an ignorant statement. The Z68 boards are great, no doubt but some people don't want to overclock or take advantage of Crossfire SLI in the future, those would be the only advantages Z68 has over H61/H67, that and the limitation of DDR3 1333 but other than that not a huge deal.

Let me make this clear, Z68, H61/H67 do NOT have on board graphics, the graphics is all on the CPU, eg. i3 2100, i5 2400, i5 2500K etc. Not on the motherboard. Z68 isn't the only chip that allows you utilize onboard graphics as H61/H67 does as well.



Hmm everywhere i read said that it did ok so please ignore all my comments as they are most likely wrong