Sign in with
Your question

I don't want to sit on the phone

Last response: in Forum Feedback
December 4, 2011 4:10:01 AM

I had a modem from AT&T and it quit working. I bought a Motorola surfboard cable modem. I have green lights on everything except send and online. My network is connected. However I can't access the Internet. Can someone tell me how to fix this with out having to call AT&T?
Thanks in advance
Allison

More about : sit phone

December 4, 2011 6:10:06 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

The new MODEM will need login and passsword details to be able to get past AT&T's handshake procedure - otherwise anyonej could log in to their network. That information can only come from them or from the settings pages of the old MODEM.

Anonymous
December 4, 2011 10:06:24 AM

Only DSL modems use username & passwords for PPPoE. Cable modems (Motorola surfboard) need to have the MAC address registered with the ISP. Even without the MAC address registered, you should have an Online light. Sorry, but you need to call AT&T.
Related resources
December 7, 2011 9:57:10 AM

Allisonppeters said:
I had a modem from AT&T and it quit working. I bought a Motorola surfboard cable modem. I have green lights on everything except send and online. My network is connected. However I can't access the Internet. Can someone tell me how to fix this with out having to call AT&T?
Thanks in advance
Allison

What o s are you running? if 98 or xp run your cd and choose fix make sure the modem is on
Anonymous
December 7, 2011 11:14:11 AM

IKNOWALL said:
What o s are you running? if 98 or xp run your cd and choose fix make sure the modem is on

You forum name is not very appropriate. You really don't know anything.
December 7, 2011 6:13:05 PM

Quote:
You forum name is not very appropriate. You really don't know anything.

^+1
I'll second that and toss in a thumbs-up vote.
December 12, 2011 6:05:15 PM

Lol. Grumpy i do love yor sense of tact.
Anonymous
December 13, 2011 11:42:57 AM

ssddx said:
Lol. Grumpy i do love yor sense of tact.

Unfortunately, my "tact" got me fired as a moderator but at least now I can post what I think.

Grumpy
!