Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to get best value for the money - work + very light gaming

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2012 1:38:32 AM

I read a lot of messages about people's builds and I very much would like your opinion/suggestions regarding the build I'm planning.

Approximate Purchase Date: next few weeks (sooner the better ;) )
System Usage from Most to Least Important: work (coding, testing in multiple VMs etc), working in Photoshop, Corel Draw etc, some very light gaming
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: No

Here's the list of parts I picked out: Part list permalink

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: OCZ 650W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

I'm going to use my existing monitor (ASUS VE276 @ 1920x1080), keyboard, mouse etc. I'm also thinking about exchanging fans if the ones included with cooler and case are too loud. Recently, I had a good experience with Cougar Vortexes (I'm quite satisfied with the combination of price/performance/noise), but I might go for Noctua, Xigmatek or Scythe.

I'm still trying to figure out
1) Is the 650W enough?
I'm not going to use SLI, but I'm thinking about overclocking the processor (to whatever max speed will be stable at < 1.4v). Regardless of whether it's enough or not, is OCZ a good choice? My main criteria here was a fact that it's a modular PSU for a rather good price.

2) Can I get better motherboard/memory for similar amount of money?
Mostly thinking about quality of components, but also wondering about compatibility. Again, I'm planning on overclocking. I picked MSI based on "Q4 2011 Performance PC" build, but I'm open to suggestions :) .

3) Should I get better GPU (~ $100, no more than $130)?
I looked at the latest comparison @ Tom's Hardware and picked the cheapest option from here, but I was also thinking about cards listed here. To be honest, since I'm not really playing games at this computer (if I'm playing they tend to be older games), this is the only part of the build where I can easily save the most money.

4) Would it be worth going to X79?
Looks to me like exchanging motherboard, processor and (possibly) memory for X79-compatible components would add approx $500 to the cost of the build for approx 15-20 % increase in performance. This might be an option, if it's worth it - I'm looking for something more "future proof". I usually exchange/upgrade my computers every 4 years. If so, what would be your suggestions for the mobo and memory?

5) Is it worth getting WD Black?
The SSD I picked will be holding OS, all apps and current docs etc (256 will be enough based on my current usage, 128 will not). I'd like to add a drive that will last me a while (for backups, older documents etc). I think 2TB/5400 connected to SATA 3gb is a good compromise (price vs performance), but I'm wondering whether going for 7200 would be worth it.

What do you think? Any opinions/suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks,
Sean

Best solution

March 26, 2012 1:57:51 AM

With an SSD, Caviar Black is not needed. Otherwise, excellent build!
March 26, 2012 7:32:42 PM

azeem40 said:
With an SSD, Caviar Black is not needed. Otherwise, excellent build!

Thanks. I'll stick with WD Green then.
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2012 7:40:31 PM

I would go with the I5-2500k. It is $150 less and for almost everything you will be doing it has 95%-100% performance. This savings could be used to upgrade your graphics card. I would suggest the radeon GT 440.
m
l
April 1, 2012 11:55:42 PM

Best answer selected by szczesnyb.
m
l
!