Graphics card help!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2012 8:42:57 PM

What would be the best GPU for this computer? I use my computer to play an mmo called Aion and pretty soon when Guild of wars 2 comes out, i hope to play that as well. Which graphics card would I be ok with if i want to play max settings or would i need a new cpu? ram? thanks in advance.

MANUFACTURER HP
MANUFACTURER PART # BV523AA#ABA
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ5603F PC
TYPE PERSONAL COMPUTER
FORM FACTOR TOWER
APPROXIMATE DIMENSIONS (WXDXH) 6.5 IN X 16.9 IN X 15.1 IN
LOCALIZATION ENGLISH / UNITED STATES
PROCESSOR 1 X AMD SEMPRON 140 / 2.7 GHZ
RAM 3 GB (INSTALLED) / 4 GB (MAX) - DDR2 SDRAM - 800 MHZ - PC2-6400
STORAGE CONTROLLER SERIAL ATA ( SERIAL ATA-300 )
HARD DRIVE 1 X 500 GB - STANDARD - SERIAL ATA-300
OPTICAL STORAGE DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM WITH LIGHTSCRIBE TECHNOLOGY
MONITOR NONE.
GRAPHICS CONTROLLER NVIDIA GEFORCE 6150 SE SHARED VIDEO MEMORY (UMA)
AUDIO OUTPUT SOUND CARD - 5.1 CHANNEL SURROUND
NETWORKING NETWORK ADAPTER - ETHERNET, FAST ETHERNET
OS PROVIDED MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT EDITION
MICROSOFT OFFICE PRELOADED INCLUDES A PRE-LOADED IMAGE OF SELECT MICROSOFT OFFICE 2010 SUITES. PURCHASE AN OFFICE 2010 PRODUCT KEY CARD OR DISC TO ACTIVATE PRELOADED SOFTWARE ON THIS PC.

More about : graphics card

January 20, 2012 12:24:50 PM

It Really depends on what games your playing/settings it's running on. Also what would be your budget? Paying over 400$ USD for a single GPU is not worth it at least in this point in time.

My reccomendations:

AMD and what i would reccomend to you;
SAPPHIRE FleX

MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III

Nvidia;

GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi)

The CPU might bottleneck it, but you still have great performence on most games you play on high/ultra.

I'd upgrade to a phenom X2/X4 if possible.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 12:38:20 PM

You need a better CPU & GPU. And you only have a 250W power supply so you need to upgrade that to add the graphics card. I suggest a new build or a Phenom 960T (you are limited to 95W max CPUs if you choose another) and a Radeon 5770 or better or Nvidia 460 or better and a power supply that can handle the GPU you choose.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2012 12:40:36 PM

With the system you currently have I think that a GTX 560 ti would be better for you. You might want to consider getting a different motherboard, as currently there are only two DIMM slots and only supports DDR2. Your CPU might not be the only problem you might face. The power supply is probably fairly stock rated at maybe 400W or 350W. That means that your video card wouldn't get enough power and definitely parts would start bottlenecking and performance would decrease. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... might be ok, but I would double check with the provider to see if your power is enough. I would definitely looking around Newegg for a new motherboard and maybe some RAM to go with it, as your system could be somewhat upgradable.
m
l
a c 81 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 1:01:06 PM

imo you should get a new pc after you save up some money. prebuilt pcs are pita to upgrade, old ones more than the newer ones. if you want to game at max settings a new self-built pc is the way to go.
for your current pc:
the psu is too weak to use a gaming gfx card.
cpu is too slow, check your pc's supported cpu list.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 1:37:57 PM

Man, it's joke that you run cards like GTX 560 ti or 6950 in a sempron 140 processor... Seriously, it's a joke. Your motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU and GPU should also be upgraded...

Or get a new system mate, this is what I'll do...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 1:50:06 PM

Sorry I just noticed the "NOTE Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard." So new system keeping drives if you want is the best advice.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 4:20:41 PM

Agree, keep your drives only and get a new system.
m
l
!