Need advice on solid gaming rig $2000-$2500

G

So i finished building a gaming rig about roughly a year ago and was robbed 3 months later. I haven't had a computer since, so i haven't been able to stay up on parts etc.

im looking for a nice gaming build that justifies the cost. i dont mind forking out a little extra cash for some bells and whistles but would like to stay as close to $2k as possible with core components + monitor. i prefer a quiet machine and plan on overclocking. 120hz monitor with good response and a minimum resolution of 1920x1080 is a must but if a better resolution is an option, even better. also 27" is the lowest i want to go. basically just looking for a nice gaming rig. i appreciate any help i can get. i just want to be sure its compatible, im not wasting money on useless parts, or risk bottle necking somewhere by skimping on a necessary component.

please excuse my typos, punctuation, and grammatical errors. It's been a while since ive actually used a physical keyboard instead of my phone.

Approximate Purchase Date: buying parts from the end of april through end of june

Budget Range: $2,000 ish prefer not to deal with rebates.. 2500 is the absolute max when including accessories like nice headphones, or a blu-ray

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High End Gaming, possibly blu-ray

Parts Not Required: Everything is required in the budget however im not picky on the keyboard, i will choose my own mouse within 60-100$ range, and i plan on using an n52 by razer. also a 27" 120hz monitor with around 2ms response is a must. not sure on which monitor is best though.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:new egg preferred

Parts Preferences: i5 2500k is a must, will be doing significant oc so i would like good cooling preferably quiet, need advice on a good monitor, 27" with 120hz 2ms response is a must, prefer good nvidia card. a decent soundcard as well unless board has solid integrated sound. if a high end headset can be recommended it doesnt have to fit into the budget. would like a nice hdd setup if possible

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 unless recommended monitor supports higher.

Additional Comments: dont care about led's although in the event i could achieve a nice red glow with matching board etc... that would be pretty sick..

Solution
Gunit1111 build is good but 2k for tower and 500 left for every thing else is hard to fit if its 27" monitor.

Tower should look like

intel i5 2500k
noctua nh d-14
asrock z68 pro gen3
Corsair vengence 2x 4 gb 1600mhz low profile ddr3 ram
evga gtx 680 2gb
pc power and cooling silencer 750w 80+ silver psu
Crucial m4 120gb sata3 ssd
seagate baracuda 1.5 tb 5900 rpm hdd
Asus blue ray burner
cm storm trooper full tower case

Os

windows 7 professional 64 bit

Keyboard

microsoft sidewinder x4

mouse

cyborg rat 5 wired

or

logitech g9

or the one you choose

monitor

dell 30" 1600x 2560 monitor

if it fits or

asus 27" full hd monitor or

3x 23" full hd monitor

i am typing this post with my galaxy s2 and is not fun and thats why i...
G

I appreciate the feedback, but im looking for something that fits the criteria a little better. Does anyone have a good setup they can recommend?

g-unit1111

Titan
Edited for accidental double post. Phones browser is buggy

I've posted from my phone before - it's not fun. :lol:

Here's a build I typically suggest:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 - $329.99
CPU: 3.6GHz Intel Core i7-3820 - $319.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $96.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB 1600Mhz 1.6V - $159.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $164.99
HD: Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB - $149.99
Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 - $499.99

Total: $2,089.99

I don't include peripherals as that's entirely personal preference - if you need a monitor I can definitely suggest a few.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Gunit1111 build is good but 2k for tower and 500 left for every thing else is hard to fit if its 27" monitor.

Tower should look like

intel i5 2500k
noctua nh d-14
asrock z68 pro gen3
Corsair vengence 2x 4 gb 1600mhz low profile ddr3 ram
evga gtx 680 2gb
pc power and cooling silencer 750w 80+ silver psu
Crucial m4 120gb sata3 ssd
seagate baracuda 1.5 tb 5900 rpm hdd
Asus blue ray burner
cm storm trooper full tower case

Os

windows 7 professional 64 bit

Keyboard

microsoft sidewinder x4

mouse

cyborg rat 5 wired

or

logitech g9

or the one you choose

monitor

dell 30" 1600x 2560 monitor

if it fits or

asus 27" full hd monitor or

3x 23" full hd monitor

i am typing this post with my galaxy s2 and is not fun and thats why i didnt post any links of total price.

Hope this helps :hello:

Solution
G

Can I replace the i7 with 2500k with same board? Also how well does ram and board complement my oc. And ya id like a good monitor suggestion

G

Awesome thx a ton! I have no size constraints on monitor and that resolution is great. Just curious if a 30 inch can get 2ms response and if its 120hz. Also how much is that guy?

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Se changing the cpu from i5 to i7 the performance gain will be negligible. but pays a 100 bucks more for no prrformance.

You could save that money and buy accessories which will make a difference like headphones anx monitor. the monitor i suggested costs more than 1k but you could get 3 monitors in less than three.

I highly recommend sli for future so if you want it then get the extreme3 but it dosent have usb 3.0 front headers so get extreme 4.

If your budget permits get i7 but you can wait for ive br idge andchange the i5 to ive i7 in future.

G

Awesome thx a ton for you're help. You've saved me alot of trouble, and ill be going with that asus 3d monitor. Sli when I can afford the extra card