Pcie 2.1 card on pcie 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgbkiller

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
i am planning to buy a hd radeon 5670 or hd radeon 6670 which are pcie 2.1 but i have only pcie 1.0.

will there be any performance reduction, will it work safely? pls help me, also suggest me if there are any other good cards upto $110 range.

Solution
I had a very similar idea a year or so ago, I bought the video card, installed and FRIED the motherboard. I end up having to build a whole new system.

So... proceed at your own risk.
Carefully verify that the video card can actually work on that slot. (even if slow)
because in my case it did not.

I got my video card replaced but everything else was out of warranty.
So a "cheap" upgrade turn out to be not so cheap after all.

caqde

Distinguished
Should work, but then again my old Crossfire 580x board hated my HD5770 and wouldn't boot. Again looking around this was a rare case and is motherboard dependent. Performance won't go down much unless you are trying to use a card like the HD7970 or HD6970. Considering these are midline cards I would say any performance lose from a PCI-Express 1.0 slot would likely be seen when you get into the HD6850's or above and even then it would likely only be 5-10% at high resolutions.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I had a very similar idea a year or so ago, I bought the video card, installed and FRIED the motherboard. I end up having to build a whole new system.

So... proceed at your own risk.
Carefully verify that the video card can actually work on that slot. (even if slow)
because in my case it did not.

I got my video card replaced but everything else was out of warranty.
So a "cheap" upgrade turn out to be not so cheap after all.

Solution

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Ok Drwho1, you just scary me pretty bad.

In my next travel to US, on february I was going to spend $130-150 on a graphic card and $50 on cooling stuff, as a Hyper 212+ and some fancoolers. But my mobo does have only PCI-E x16, not a 2.0 x16... So I really dont want to fry my stuff.. Actually, before in think about overlocking my Athlon II.. I brought a certified 80+Bronze PSU with plenty of power and a 6pin PCI-E conector for the upgrade...

Now I'm afraid that if i put a HD 6850 on my mobo I will toast my PC...

I need clarify this people...

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I haven't seen a PCI-E 2.0 card wreck a PCI-E 1.0 slot but I have seen a 2.0 card just not work at all on a 1.0 slot. I wouldn't recommend buying a 2.0 gfx card. Save up your pennies and upgrade the whole lot!

DM186

Splendid

^ if you have a PCIe x 16 your card will work. The 1.0 card slots are old style then they came out with the 2.0 then the 2.1 and now 3.0. 2.0 cards most of the time works in the 1.0 slots but I don't think the 2.1 works at all in the 1.0.

The 2.1 will work in the 2.0 slots. The 2.0 will work in the 2.1 and 3.0. All you have to do is look at your system specs and look where the PCI express is and it should tell you how many 2.0, 1.0, 2.1, and 3.0 slots you have.

If you don't have it on paper google your system and track down your MOBO and you will find your answer. Also you won't fry your pc if your card doesn't work. The only thing that will happen is your card won't work. I hope this helps you

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Well actually right now im using a 6570 which is 2.1 pci-e.. so i was thinking that a the new and more powerful card will work aswell.. now with 200 bucks to spend i dont know if i MUST buy a motherboard, or if i can get the new GPU :S !

DM186

Splendid

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
My PSU is a CoolerMaster GX450 80+Bronze.. Also I have a CoolerMaster Elite 430 with a 120MM exsaut fan and two 80mm intake fan, a side window fan for the GPU... I guess thats a good enough cooling, but Im going to buy some 2 more 120mm fans to change the 80mm ones.. I´ve read that the Hd6850 will be more than enough for my necesity, cuz I only have a 19" acer monitor conected via dvi, which max resolution is 1440x900... So i can play games at maxed with no problems... Thats i want, more power for the future, because i want to buy a 23" HDMI monitor to play at higher resolutions...

The rest of my pc is:

Athlon II x2 260 @ 3.2ghz (overlocked 3.7ghz@1.45V) with stock cooler, it doesnt go more than 60 cuz my room always is cold lol

Mobo ASRock N68C-S UCC

4GB ram Gskill 1033mhz at dual chanel

500GB HDD hitachi desktar

By the wat, I guess that i answered the topic question, as my HD 6570 runs pretty good in a PCI-E 1.0 slot and it says that its a 2.1 PCI-E bus... I can play crysis, NFS shift 2, dragon age 2 (this one its heavy) and GTA 4 (the heaviest of all my games) but at 1280x768 and details maxed i can play mostly everything... NFS, cryisis and dirt 3 i can play at 1440x900 with no problems...

DM186

Splendid
Well it looks like you are set. I am not that good with AMD products but when I see Athlon II x 2 I wonder if it means a 2 core. Because if it is one I don't know if there would be some bottle necking or not. I need to learn more about AMD. I hope I am wrong about this. I really do. Maybe someone else could jump in and tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.