Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Suggestions before final build please

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 26, 2012 4:11:06 AM

Hello,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new build. Really struggling over different mobo to use. Doesnt seem like there is a solid board out there that doesnt have some sort of issues... Here are the ones i am torn between right now.

AsRock E3 Gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte z68xp-ud3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Giga UD3H-B3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus V LE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here are my other parts

i7 2700k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.Skill 8gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seasonic X650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec 900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

WD Caviar Black 640gb

Evga GTX 560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I already have the cpu, friend who works for intel got it for me 1/2 price. also got the memory as well... trying to keep it under 700 if i can help it, thanks!!!
March 26, 2012 4:22:48 AM

I would go with the ASRock mobo if you don't need USB 3.0, The GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 would be my personal choice.

650w is an overkill for a 560. The Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W or the SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W will run your system fine.

Antec 900 is a bit outdated:
Corsair Carbide Series 400R
Corsair Carbide Series 300R
Fractal Design Arc Midi
Rosewill CHALLENGER or the Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 (USB 3.0)

Try to re-use the HDD and get an SSD.
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 5:26:43 AM

Definitely liking the Corsair 400R or the Rose Challenger... Ill probably get the Gigabyte, but wanted more input. SSD is for sure, gonna start with a crucial m4 64gb... Might tone it down to the Seasonic S12Ii 620w in case i decide to SLI in the future

Thanks for the suggestions!
m
0
l
Related resources
March 26, 2012 5:30:16 AM

Bust said:
Definitely liking the Corsair 400R or the Rose Challenger... Ill probably get the Gigabyte, but wanted more input. SSD is for sure, gonna start with a crucial m4 64gb... Might tone it down to the Seasonic S12Ii 620w in case i decide to SLI in the future

Thanks for the suggestions!


I'll definitely second the Corsair and Fractal Design recommendations.

For the motherboard go with the UD3H.

And then for GPU - the 560TI is a good choice but you should be checking out the Radeon 7850 as it's producing numbers that match and in some cases beat the 570 TI for the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd also suggest dropping the i7-2700K to the i5-2500K and invest the $140 difference in upgrading your GPU to a Radeon 7870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Anonymous
March 26, 2012 5:45:38 AM

the Asrock E3G3 if you can live w/o internal usb3 headers. if not then i would like to suggest:
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 179.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i know more expensive but with "Industry leading Digital 16 Phase Power Design
(12 -phase for CPU, 4 -phase for iGPU)" your overclocked CPU will thank you :) 
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:22:42 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'll definitely second the Corsair and Fractal Design recommendations.

For the motherboard go with the UD3H.

And then for GPU - the 560TI is a good choice but you should be checking out the Radeon 7850 as it's producing numbers that match and in some cases beat the 570 TI for the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd also suggest dropping the i7-2700K to the i5-2500K and invest the $140 difference in upgrading your GPU to a Radeon 7870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



I've always owned nvidia cards, but will do some research and take a look at radeon.

Already have the i7 2700k, got a hookup at intel and got it for 1/2 price (170.00) so that is already a done deal...
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:25:12 PM

Bust said:
I've always owned nvidia cards, but will do some research and take a look at radeon.

Already have the i7 2700k, got a hookup at intel and got it for 1/2 price (170.00) so that is already a done deal...


Man that's a good deal on the 2700K. Did you get it at Micro Center?

But you should read this - the bench numbers the 7870 and even the 7850 are producing are unparalleled: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:26:16 PM

e56imfg said:
Get the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W since it provides 53 amps instead of 48 amps the Seasonic has and because it's the same price.


I was originally looking at this psu, but decided i wanted something either semi modular or fully modular, would like to have a cleaner less air restrictions in the case. Would have to upgrade to the Corsair HX series in that case...
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:32:33 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Man that's a good deal on the 2700K. Did you get it at Micro Center?

But you should read this - the bench numbers the 7870 and even the 7850 are producing are unparalleled: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...


Nah, got it from a friend who works at intel and gets nice discounts... Gonna see what they can get an intel SSD for as well instead of a WD Caviar Black. Either that or my friend who works at Micron and see what he can get a Crucial SSD for...

How are radeon drivers compared nvidia? I know that radeon generally runs cooler, but other than that i dont know a whole lot
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:35:06 PM

Anonymous said:
the Asrock E3G3 if you can live w/o internal usb3 headers. if not then i would like to suggest:
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 179.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i know more expensive but with "Industry leading Digital 16 Phase Power Design
(12 -phase for CPU, 4 -phase for iGPU)" your overclocked CPU will thank you :) 


If i can cut some cost, ill think about this board, but really trying to stay under 700 to finish out my build... Im just really hesitant about getting any boards online and worrying if it's gonna be doa or something else wrong and have to rma it. Luckily i have a fry's close buy, so i can take it back it doesnt work, but prices are a tad higher and they dont have the selection like newegg/tigerdirect...
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:35:39 PM

Bust said:
Nah, got it from a friend who works at intel and gets nice discounts... Gonna see what they can get an intel SSD for as well instead of a WD Caviar Black. Either that or my friend who works at Micron and see what he can get a Crucial SSD for...

How are radeon drivers compared nvidia? I know that radeon generally runs cooler, but other than that i dont know a whole lot


Catalyst 12.1 still needs a little bit of improvements but since the merger AMD is far better at fixing driver-related problems than ATI was.

If you get the Intel SSD you can still get a Caviar Black and use that as your secondary - that's what I always do.

Quote:
I was originally looking at this psu, but decided i wanted something either semi modular or fully modular, would like to have a cleaner less air restrictions in the case. Would have to upgrade to the Corsair HX series in that case...


I believe the HX are made by Seasonic which are an excellent choice for PSU no matter what.
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:45:05 PM

The only Corsair PSUs not made by seasonic are the CS and GX series.
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 6:57:23 PM

Also been kicking around the idea of either just getting a single gtx 560 or eventually sli gtx 460's... Not a super hardcore gamer anymore, would play Company of Heroes, Call of Duty and thats about the extent of my gaming...
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 10:31:59 PM

Bust said:
Also been kicking around the idea of either just getting a single gtx 560 or eventually sli gtx 460's... Not a super hardcore gamer anymore, would play Company of Heroes, Call of Duty and thats about the extent of my gaming...
A single 560 or even a 7750 would be the ideal choice if you don't play demanding games.
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 10:37:13 PM

Bust said:
Also been kicking around the idea of either just getting a single gtx 560 or eventually sli gtx 460's... Not a super hardcore gamer anymore, would play Company of Heroes, Call of Duty and thats about the extent of my gaming...


Even if you're not a super hard core gamer - you always want the single strongest solution you can get as opposed to two weaker ones.
m
0
l
!