Sign in with
Your question

XFX HD 7970 BE VRM Problem - DD or Reference?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2012 10:22:00 PM

I'm assuming everyone is familiar with the VRM problem on the new HD 7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation cards:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1666378&page=1
http://www.overclock.net/t/1200211/stay-away-from-xfx-7970-black-edition-design-flaw

My problem is that everyone mistakenly refers to the double fan model as "the black edition." That's not true - there are two black editions, which is quite obvious on the XFX page:

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Graphics-Cards/ATI/AMD-Radeon-HD-7000-Series/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970.aspx

Under that little "Black Edition" sub-heading, there are two cards - one has two fans (thus double dissipation), the other has one fan (is this what they call a "reference" design?). All the Black Edition part refers to is the fact that it has been factory overclocked, which is something I want.

My problem is that I am going to run two of these cards on crossfire for a few weeks/months/whatever, then upgrade to a water-cooling system (probably). Regardless, I can't find out if the VRM problem is just for the Double Dissipation version, or if it applies to all black editions. Can anyone tell me? I want a black edition, but not if both of them have VRM problems. If the "reference" version of the black edition doesn't have any VRM temp problems, I'm going to get that - can anyone confirm?
January 20, 2012 4:09:18 PM

I own an XFX 7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation since 17/01/2012. The card has capacitator whining, but otherwise its running perfectly, never gets above 65c in gaming and reaching a maximum 74c on Furmark test with clocks of 1100mhz core and 1500mhz ram. I am using a custom Afterburner fan profile where fans are 20% idle, 50% load, 65% heavy load (over 70c).

I believe the fake issue that has arised on the internet about XFX 7970 BE DD series is that the french website that originally found out about that actually had a faulty card in their hands, or were testing in a 40c environment lol.

Also, I am using a corsair obsidian 800D case with aftermarket fans for maximum airflow, and a corsair H100 cooler, so there is nothing else hot near the GPU, apart from the motherboard's heatsink.

Just to inform you, I get P8380 score in 3dmark11 and P8900 when the clocks are 1100mhz/1500mhz. Runs stable at that OC settings with no increased heat.

I believe there is no need for you to buy the double dissipation version since you will watercool it. Also, the stock cooler is much better for Xfire since it exausts hot air from the rear of the case.
m
l
January 27, 2012 4:15:20 PM

thanks for the detailed reply. are the temps you recorded gpu temps, or vrm temps? the problem was with the vrm, which most people have difficulty testing, and not the gpu's temps. I decided to go ahead and get the NON-double dissipation black edition so I'd have a nice factory overclocked card that I could watercool later, and because of the air exhausting you mentioned. thanks for the help, though!
m
l
!