Sign in with
Your question

Improving Cooling

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2012 5:59:34 AM

Hello,

Newbie computer builder here and not very tech savvy. I built my rig about 4 months ago, everything has been running alright, but there was always a small-ish problem with my computer that I'm looking to fix now. First I'll start with my specs:

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
OCZ RevoDrive PCI-E 1TB Hybrid Solid State Drive PCI-Express 2.0 x4
2 500GB Standard Hard Drives

My problem is about CPU temperature. Core Temp shows my cores running anywhere between 40-55 degrees at idle with ambient temps of about 22-25 degrees. The CPU is running at the 3.8GHz Turbo Mode and I'm using the stock fans on the H100 pulling air up through the top of the case along with the stock TIM. These have always seemed like high idle temps for only running at 3.8GHz, but when I go into game, temps only go up to about 60-65 degrees. My biggest concern however, is that I want to try and get my CPU up to 4.5-4.7 GHz, but with temps this high at only 3.8, I want to see if I can get my cooling into better condition.

I've read about a lot of other H100 users starting to use these fans in a Push/Pull configuration and using this TIM. Would these actually better my cooling by any significant amount or are there other suggestions to try out first?

More about : improving cooling

March 26, 2012 6:06:37 AM

TIM won't make a huge difference unless you didn't apply it properly. Never go with liquid metal, they void your CPU warranty and their like glue.

The 800D doesn't have a lot of cooling options. But it might benefit from positive air pressure, instead of negative. Try experimenting.
March 26, 2012 1:04:04 PM

That's odd, my tx3 cools better than that liquid cooler. You must have done something wrong. Is it making good contact with the processor?
Related resources
March 26, 2012 3:48:53 PM

I believe it is, thumb screws are tightened as much as possible without using grips (the screws don't have grooves for screwdrivers).
March 26, 2012 4:50:28 PM

I'd reapply the paste and reseat it, checked newegg and everyone's reporting better temps than you even when OC

Make sure you dont use too much paste. If your processor is the size of a 2500k check out my recent post regarding thermal paste.
March 30, 2012 7:33:20 PM

OK, I reapplied TIM, using the stuff I listed above. It was a little hard to spread, trying to use a little as possible, got the metal area of the heatsink covered as evenly as possible, but it still had little ridges, seemed impossible to get rid of them. Also installed the Cougar fans and set up a push/pull on the radiator. Also installed another fan on top of the case as exhaust, with the fan on the bottom and the fan on the side as intake. Should be a negative pressure set up. Still the same temps as before at 3.8GHz, Core Temp showing cores between 40-55 at idle, ASUS AI Suite showing about 41-42, but for some reason it's showing all of my chassis fans at 0 rpm, even though I can see them all running. But still at square one and I don't want to OC if my idle temps are still this high. Any other suggestions? Will setting the fan on the back of the case up as exhaust again maybe be more effective?
March 31, 2012 6:15:42 PM

After some gaming, seems like temps are about 5 degrees higher than before, going to about 65. Still not sure why my Cougar fans aren't displaying their RPMs, the one fan that does is about 780 RPM right now, but when I try to change it to 100% (1500 RPM) it doesn't do anything. Desperately looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
!