Solved

Fx-4100 vs phenom II x4?

which is better overall and gaming pc? the perticular model for the phenom im thinking about is 965, so assuming I want to overclock to 4Ghz or so, which one is better and will deliver a better game performance with the radeon hd 6870?
I was thinking about getting 2600K Ivy Bridge before, but finding a cheap board for that that doesn't have major flaws seems impossible.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4100 phenom
  1. Go for the Phenom. Its is far, far better than the FX4100.
  2. The Phenom is a lot better value for money and beats the FX4100 in every single benchmark. Phenom is has legitimate cores whereas the FX line has integer cores :)
  3. Agreed, Phenom all the way!

    The Phenom will perform better in most scenarios (my brother and I both personally use an X4 955 paired with a 560 Ti and 6870 respectively).
  4. If you can get your 965 to 4GHz you are laughing, it will stomp the 4100 every day of the week,
    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2330656.png
    @Mocchan, post a thread in W/c section when you are ready mate :)
    :)
    Moto
  5. Motopsychojdn said:
    If you can get your 965 to 4GHz you are laughing, it will stomp the 4100 every day of the week,
    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2330656.png
    @Mocchan, post a thread in W/c section when you are ready mate :)
    :)
    Moto


    Will do! :D :sol:
  6. Thanks for the replies guys, guys, now since everyones agreed on the same thing i can't really pick a best answer, so one more quick one.
    The phenom 965 is obviously a great cpu and aged well, but that doesn't change the fact that its still old, so would it be worth to invest in the I5-2500k/2600k if im on a budget build?
  7. Best answer
    acciunt said:
    Thanks for the replies guys, guys, now since everyones agreed on the same thing i can't really pick a best answer, so one more quick one.
    The phenom 965 is obviously a great cpu and aged well, but that doesn't change the fact that its still old, so would it be worth to invest in the I5-2500k/2600k if im on a budget build?


    Oh yes, if your budget allows, the i5 2500k is a great way to go. It'll overclock like a beast, and it'll smoke the Phenom out of the water :lol:

    The Phenom is a very modest chip, but when compared with an i5-2500k, there's no discussion there.
  8. Yup, if you can afford the Intel get that, but the Deneb chip is AMD's best offering
    Moto
  9. If i was buying today i'd buy the 4100 only because it can do 4.8Ghz+. The Phenom II should top out around 4Ghz
  10. 4.2/4.3GHz is about the most normally although mine has 4.5GHz as shown above but thats not normal for a PII
    and really anything over 4GHz with four real cores isn't going to struggle gaming at the moment, its Epeen more than a need, unless you are feeding three graphics cards on six/twelve screens then 4GHz is plenty for most folks use,
    remember the 4100 isn't a true quadcore chip
    Moto
  11. Motopsychojdn said:
    4.2/4.3GHz is about the most normally although mine has 4.5GHz as shown above but thats not normal for a PII
    and really anything over 4GHz isn't going to struggle gaming at the moment, its Epeen more than a need, unless you are feeding three graphics cards on six/twelve screens then 4GHz is plenty for most folks use
    Moto


    To add onto this, I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting with my 3.8Ghz PII X4 955 :lol: Upgrading is tempting but why would I upgrade if I'm getting happy results? :D
  12. Motopsychojdn said:
    4.2/4.3GHz is about the most normally although mine has 4.5GHz as shown above but thats not normal for a PII
    and really anything over 4GHz with four real cores isn't going to struggle gaming at the moment, its Epeen more than a need, unless you are feeding three graphics cards on six/twelve screens then 4GHz is plenty for most folks use,
    remember the 4100 isn't a true quadcore chip
    Moto



    With water cooling it'll do that speed but for most people with a hyper 212+ 4Ghz will be the limit.
  13. Best answer selected by acciunt.
  14. thanks everyone! so im gonna save up a little bit more and get myself an i5, wish me luck!
  15. Good luck and have fun! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom