Fx-4100 vs phenom II x4?

acciunt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
which is better overall and gaming pc? the perticular model for the phenom im thinking about is 965, so assuming I want to overclock to 4Ghz or so, which one is better and will deliver a better game performance with the radeon hd 6870?
I was thinking about getting 2600K Ivy Bridge before, but finding a cheap board for that that doesn't have major flaws seems impossible.

Solution

Oh yes, if your budget allows, the i5 2500k is a great way to go. It'll overclock like a beast, and it'll smoke the Phenom out of the water :lol:

The Phenom is a very modest chip, but when compared with an i5-2500k, there's no discussion there.

acciunt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys, guys, now since everyones agreed on the same thing i can't really pick a best answer, so one more quick one.
The phenom 965 is obviously a great cpu and aged well, but that doesn't change the fact that its still old, so would it be worth to invest in the I5-2500k/2600k if im on a budget build?

Oh yes, if your budget allows, the i5 2500k is a great way to go. It'll overclock like a beast, and it'll smoke the Phenom out of the water :lol:

The Phenom is a very modest chip, but when compared with an i5-2500k, there's no discussion there.

Solution
4.2/4.3GHz is about the most normally although mine has 4.5GHz as shown above but thats not normal for a PII
and really anything over 4GHz with four real cores isn't going to struggle gaming at the moment, its Epeen more than a need, unless you are feeding three graphics cards on six/twelve screens then 4GHz is plenty for most folks use,
remember the 4100 isn't a true quadcore chip
Moto

To add onto this, I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting with my 3.8Ghz PII X4 955 :lol: Upgrading is tempting but why would I upgrade if I'm getting happy results? :D

Lucem Ferre

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

With water cooling it'll do that speed but for most people with a hyper 212+ 4Ghz will be the limit.