NEED HELP ASAP WITH RADEON HD 4670 AGP

barbarousbeef

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hello guys, been a fan of the forums here and they have been very useful to me in the past. But this time i cannot find anything to help me with my issue.
I got a really good deal on a Radeon HD 4670 AGP Ice-q graphics card. I reformatted my whole hard drive and loaded it with windows vista home premium 32 bit. I installed all the drivers, installed Catalyst and then updated and installed all fresh new drivers for my new card. I got everything up and running, graphics look great on the games i play such as WoW, starcraft. etc.. But heres where the problem is.. While im playing these games i will get a lag spike when i dont move my curser for about 5 seconds. Everything is great and lag free while im moving my cursor. Also every now and then i will get a blank screen that will eventualy come back between 10-30 seconds with a popup saying "A DISPLAY DRIVER ____ has stopped responding and has recovered"... I have tried everything i can think of to attempt to fix these two issues and am stumped now. By the way, i am still a noob when it comes to computers. Oh yeah i forgot to mention i even picked up a new higher wattage power supply to try to fix the issue. I thought maybe there wasnt enough juice to power everything under load.

Here are my specs

Coolmax 500watt PSU (replaced a antec 300watt)
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (OC'd to 2.2ghz)
Shuttle AN-35N 400 Ultra Motherboard
1.5gb of ram
Radeon Hd 4670 agp 1gb (replaced a radeon 9700 pro)
80gb hard drive
Windows vista home premium 32 bit
Antec case

Thanks in advance, i just cant wait to get back to playing without problems :)

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Could be the card if it's used then it's definitely worth taking that into consideration. Other than that it could be the motherboard, AGP slot, or power supply (not sure if coolmax is a good brand).

barbarousbeef

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

i have the hotfixxes installed already though

barbarousbeef

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

bought the card on newegg.

think it could still be the motherboard or agp slot? it was working fine with my previous card which was overclocked. Is there a possibility that it just doesn't react good with vista?

barbarousbeef

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

haha. I managed to fix it finaly. :sol: So.. I tried a few things, i cleaned out my whole case, made sure to remove all dust from heatsink to reduce temp a little bit. Seemed to help drop temp a tad bit. Once i got it all back in place and started it up, i went online and looked for a driver fixxing tool. I found a driver sweeper. I figured i had nothing to lose and gave it a try. I let it clean up my drivers. Once that finished i restarted my PC, loaded up starcraft.. and what do ya know :) .. No lag issues, or random black screens. :) so far its been running strong and problem free for 5 hours!

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

Don't blame AMD for this. ATI never made AGP versions of the 4670 or the 2600/36xx. It's the 3rd party manufacturers that created these bastard child's that should have never come to the market in the first place.

Glad to hear you got it working. Chances are your old PSU never was the problem, just the drivers issues as stated. At least now you have a spare :p