Does my cpu bottleneck my gpu?

just wondering if it does, tends to lag up a bit in some games such as skyrim, gta4, and company of heroes and i know my gpu cant be the problem.. my cpu is a amd phenom 9150e 1.8ghz and my gpu is a gtx 560 ti 448 cores. thanks!
22 answers Last reply
More about does bottleneck
  1. Yeah, I'd say the CPU is definitely holding you back there.
  2. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Yeah, I'd say the CPU is definitely holding you back there.

Agreed
  3. alright that being that said would it be cheaper to just buy a new mobo,cpu, and memory and have that put in my HP or just go ahead and buy a all new pc?
  4. jds94 said:
    alright that being that said would it be cheaper to just buy a new mobo,cpu, and memory and have that put in my HP or just go ahead and buy a all new pc?

Well from what you just said, I think those are all the key components that are needed to build a new PC anyway, so it'll be best to make a new rig. Of course, you can recycle your PSU (please list the model for us, it may be able to be recycled), HDD, and GPU. :)
  5. Well, it would be cheaper to get a new CPU, mobo and RAM than a whole new system, BUT, you would have to factor in a new copy of Windows into that, as well because the OEM version that you have can't be used on a new mobo.

Also something to consider is what size mobo can fit into that HP case. Normal ATX, mATX, etc.

That's a great GPU though, so you're pretty much set on that, at least.

Honestly, I agree with mocchan, just building a new system, but keeping that GPU, is the best option overall.
  6. well i just upgraded my gpu and psu back in december. i honestly dont remember what psu i have.. its something like a corsair 700w but its fine i believe. my case takes a micro atx. my hdd... honestly dont remember either. something like a sata 640 gb hdd. but thanks you guys :)
  7. jds94 said:
    well i just upgraded my gpu and psu back in december. i honestly dont remember what psu i have.. its something like a corsair 700w but its fine i believe. my case takes a micro atx. my hdd... honestly dont remember either. something like a sata 640 gb hdd. but thanks you guys :)

Well that's two things we can cross off the list! PSU and GPU..That alone will save you around 300-350 dollars :)

If your HDD is keeping you happy, we can most likely recycle that as well (-coughs- get a small SSD as boot, and use your current HDD for storage -coughs-) Now if you tell us your budget maybe we can help you with picking out parts! :D
  8. alrighty thanks! and honestly im working with around $400 at max. i couldn't afford to go any higher. i could wait of course though but who likes to wait? for a cpu i was kinda looking at the i5 2500k. its kinda pricey but a friend of mine tells me its a really great cpu.
  9. jds94 said:
    alrighty thanks! and honestly im working with around $400 at max. i couldn't afford to go any higher. i could wait of course though but who likes to wait? for a cpu i was kinda looking at the i5 2500k. its kinda pricey but a friend of mine tells me its a really great cpu.

Yes the 2500k is one beast of a CPU, but one question remains, will you overclock? If not, it might be better to select a non K-sku i5 CPU :)
  10. I'm working on something for you now. :)
  11. thanks :) and nope i dont plan on overclocking it. im a hardware nooby!
  12. 2500K: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 $219.99

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX $119.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $46.99

Total: $386.97

Now, that still doesn't include the cost of Windows or an aftermarket cooler to OC the 2500K with, if you ever want to, but that's a good start.
  13. If you can deal with an i3, this will do.

i3 2120: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 $124.99

Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM $99.99

Total with the mobo and RAM from above: $391.96
  14. DJDeCiBeL said:
    If you can deal with an i3, this will do.

i3 2120: ntel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 $124.99

Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit $99.99

Total with the mobo and RAM from above: $391.96

Even though the i5 build is looking nice, I think the OP would be equally as happy with an i3 as well. It's still a big improvement from his current CPU :)
  15. How much of a difference would there be between the i3 and i5 gaming wise??
  16. jds94 said:
    How much of a difference would there be between the i3 and i5 gaming wise??

Not really a lot in most games. Multiplayer BF3 will give an advantage to the i5 though.
  17. That's true about BF3 multiplayer, but for the games you've listed, I think you should be fine.

Though just to add onto the BF3 multiplayer, I think you'll still achieve playable framerates anyway so it's not THAT much of an issue. I understand the drawbacks of a Dual Core vs Quad in BF3 Multiplayer, though.
  18. Alrighty, honestly all i play is bf3 , skyrim, and company of heroes. If the i5 really makes that much of a huge difference id shell out the extra money for it.
  19. jds94 said:
    Alrighty, honestly all i play is bf3 , skyrim, and company of heroes. If the i5 really makes that much of a huge difference id shell out the extra money for it.

Good choice! Have fun! :D
  20. im leaning towards the i3.. thanks you guys :)
  21. Good choice as well. You really can't go wrong with either one. And you're welcome. :)
  22. jds94 said:
    im leaning towards the i3.. thanks you guys :)

can always swap out to a core i5 ivy bridge at a later date as well for a bigger boost in performence
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs GPUs Bottleneck Product