Jade Empire combat system

(I've played the demo once so far.)

Is it just me, or is Jade Empire's "real time combat system"
more or less just KOTOR's, except (1) you have to press a button when your
turn comes to attack, and (2) movement doesn't (seem to) cancel out attack
state?

I dunno, maybe I'd been too hyped up by Video Fenky's statement
long ago that it was like a fighting game that did not rely on split
second timing[a], but the demo's combat system was kind of a letdown.

[a]: "Seeing it in action, it looks something like a strategic 3D fighter,
as if you were directing Heihachi's moves without actually having to
worry about the precise timing behind them."
- http://www.video-fenky.com/archives/000097.html

--
"Don't take this to heart, but, you're arguing about OS's, and you're
-not- a geek? I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with being

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 04:19:34 +0000 (UTC), archang@sfu.ca (Andrew Ryan
    Chang) wrote:

    > (I've played the demo once so far.)
    >
    > Is it just me, or is Jade Empire's "real time combat system"
    >more or less just KOTOR's, except (1) you have to press a button when your
    >turn comes to attack, and (2) movement doesn't (seem to) cancel out attack
    >state?

    They're not really similar. Kotor was 100% turn based, which gave the
    impression of almost being real time, but behind the scenes, a lot of
    calculations were being made on hit percentages, damage, etc. The game
    had nothing to do with fast reflexes.. Jade Empire is completely real
    time, although you do have the option to pause the game to change
    fighting styles or remap them to the d pad. But at it's heart, combat
    is 100% real time.

    > I dunno, maybe I'd been too hyped up by Video Fenky's statement
    >long ago that it was like a fighting game that did not rely on split
    >second timing[a], but the demo's combat system was kind of a letdown.
    >

    >[a]: "Seeing it in action, it looks something like a strategic 3D fighter,
    > as if you were directing Heihachi's moves without actually having to
    > worry about the precise timing behind them."
    > - http://www.video-fenky.com/archives/000097.html

    Well, his statement is true in the sense that the game doesn't have a
    very complicated fighting system that relies on counter moves,
    reversals or anything else that involves split second timing.. The
    moves also appear to be very easy to perform so you wont have to
    remember any long or complicated combos.

    I've played the demo numerous times and I was disappointed at first.
    The combat system seems to be overly simplistic and would probably
    make a terrible fighting game, but in the context of an RPG, I think
    it will work.

    Imperium <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 04:19:34 +0000 (UTC), archang@sfu.ca (Andrew Ryan
    >Chang) wrote:
    >
    >> (I've played the demo once so far.)
    >>
    >> Is it just me, or is Jade Empire's "real time combat system"
    >>more or less just KOTOR's, except (1) you have to press a button when your
    >>turn comes to attack, and (2) movement doesn't (seem to) cancel out attack
    >>state?
    >>

    >They're not really similar. Kotor was 100% turn based, which gave the
    >impression of almost being real time, but behind the scenes, a lot of
    >calculations were being made on hit percentages, damage, etc. The game
    >had nothing to do with fast reflexes.. Jade Empire is completely real
    >time, although you do have the option to pause the game to change
    >fighting styles or remap them to the d pad. But at it's heart, combat
    >is 100% real time.

    It doesn't feel /real/ time. It feels like KOTOR's high-speed
    turn-based system with a default "skip this turn" if you don't input your
    command in time. The way JE's player character and enemies seem to take
    distinct intervals between attacks gives it the rhythm of a game a bit
    like Grandia 2, where each combatant's turn came up in a varying number of
    seconds, but they still take turns.

    --
    "Testing every slaughtered cow [for 'mad cow disease'] would cost about six
    cents per pound." - USA TODAY editorial, March 25 2004.

Console Gaming Video Video Games