How about this for a build?

Maxmatlock13

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
ok so this is my first build. very new to all this.

this is for a hardcore gamer. i want fast ***. whilst budgeting kinda. i want to overclock but have no idea how to (hoping its easy)

what i have here in my hands already (after researching obviously) is:
>BitFenix Colossus case
>Corsair HX-850W Power Supply
>Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/GEN3 Motherboard

im yet to buy GPU(s), CPU, Drives, RAM and LCD and Keyboard + mouse, and COOLING.

my question is mainly about CPU's, RAM and cooling.

i did a hotwired test tonight to see if my PSU and mobo work. they do. but im absolutely flabbergasted at how pathetically slow the 230mm fans are!
they turned on but basically at a snails pace! they need to go haha.

so i plan to cool with the Swiftech H20 220 Edge HD all in one kit. i like the idea of having a kit that can actually be broadened eventually. ( i can add a rad in there sometime later)

ok im blabbing so here is my real question. what kind of RAM do i need? 8gb or 16gb? just for gaming. it sounds better to have 16 obviously but is it necessary?
What CPU should i buy? i am definitely waiting for Ivy Bridge so i can get that PCI-E 3.0 support but should i go the i7 3770K or a lower tier i5? whats the optimum CPU for Gaming that is also the cheapest? where does the line start between a CPU being more aimed at say.... graphical design ***. etc.

any help would be appreciated thanks fellas :)

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

The i5 is the best bang for the buck at the moment. 8gbs should be sufficient for your purpose.

Maxmatlock13

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
thanks just did some more research and yeah the i5 with 8gb of ram seems appropriate. so what about ivy bridge? will the new i5 be the go or do we need to wait and see? do we know yet?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

In this case I'd rather wait and see. The worst that can happen is that the prices of the existing CPU's may come down. If you can wait you won't regret a decision that might see you paying too much or not buying the best for your buck. Keep in mind we are not talking about a lot of time to wait. Only a month or so at the most.