Sign in with
Your question

Wrong BIOS Flash - 4870 X2 into a 5870...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 2:04:00 AM

"Accidentally" flashed the Master chip Diamond 4870X2 with the 5870 Bios, in order to gain Eyefinity...

I knew this would not work, being a computer technician, but it was an experiment none-the-less.
However, now my computer won't post, and the Mobo gives the BIOS Beep that indicates that there are no GFX's installed. I have no onboard either.

Do I have to wait and find someone with onboard video in order to re-flash it? Or is it just dead? O_O

a c 227 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 2:22:22 AM

I would guess it is time for a funeral or the designation of your old GPU as a paperweight. That was an awfully expensive "accident". Considering the difference in architectures, what made you think it even had the remotest chance of working?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 2:36:07 AM

Get another video card to boot with and then flash the correct bios to your newly bricked board. Preferentially something from Nvidia so that you don't accidentally flash the wrong card.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2012 12:32:04 AM

Thanks COLGeek, but wurkfur is right. It is possible to flash the GPU again; just wanted to clarify with the people of this forum on whether or not it was still possible.

I backed up the old BIOS, so I can re-flash it.
m
l
a c 227 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 12:52:16 AM

healfheonix said:
Thanks COLGeek, but wurkfur is right. It is possible to flash the GPU again; just wanted to clarify with the people of this forum on whether or not it was still possible.

I backed up the old BIOS, so I can re-flash it.

Let us know if the resurrection is successful. It is not always so.
m
l
January 27, 2012 3:13:20 AM

Hmm... Cannot even see the "Master" chip on the 4870 X2; only the "Slave"; so I cannot flash it straight out... This is beginning to concern me. Any ideas?
m
l
a c 227 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 10:40:45 AM

healfheonix said:
Hmm... Cannot even see the "Master" chip on the 4870 X2; only the "Slave"; so I cannot flash it straight out... This is beginning to concern me. Any ideas?

Nope. I can't think of a thing.
m
l
!