Windows installed, Motherboard drivers installed, HDD not recognised

Elliot_72

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I hope someone can help me!

I built a PC around a Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2V motherboard. The first time the windows install told me that my hard drive would fail. I replaced it with a new 750gig Hitachi (SATA).

I installed Windows 7 and it worked fine. I then installed all the drivers on the disk provided with the motherboard.

The my PC switched off when it had finished installing them all.

When I switched it on again it said there was no HD in it!

After swapping everything around internally I eventually got it recognised again when I swapped it with the DVD drive (port 0 to port 1)

I then formatted it and started again.

Once again, upon installing the drivers the PC shut down and will now not recognise the HD drive. The HD light does not turn on at all and I can't even see drive C in a DOS window.

I guess the thing to do is to not install the drivers next time but I can't get it to see the HD at all the re-install windows....

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Well first it's rarely a good idea to install the drivers that came with the mobo, they are usually out of date. Install the newest drivers from the mfg's website instead. Check that you have the latest bios available.
Reset your cmos.
Make sure your HDD is set to AHCI mode, not ide in bios.(no raid either)
Try those first.

Elliot_72

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks, but I can't see the drive even in dos and AHCI mode doesn't improve anything.

I'll use the newest drivers if I can get to the HDD!

I've tried the HDD in every SATA output on the motherboard and it is still not recognised....

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Try your old drive again. See if it's recognized.

Elliot_72

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I don't have an old drive! It's a new build and my old PC only has IDE not SATA. It is recognising my external hdd but I can't do a Windows install on an external drive...

Elliot_72

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Not sure that will help- I'm pretty sure the drive is not the issue, but the motherboard becoming stupid after I installed the drivers!

Also, I cannot see the drive to check it.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

I recently had a similar issue with a Western Digital hard drive and needed a Western Digital program to fix it.

(the program recognized the unrecognizable drive) and I was then able to create the partition and formatted.
My guess is it could be a similar issue.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

So the drive that you were told would fail is on your old computer? Or did you exchange it for the 750gb?

Some basic points followed by my best guesses:

1) update the motherboard BIOS if it's out of date

2) try all of your SATA connections

3) try any other hard drive

4) remove and replace all cards and connections

5) remove any extra drives (leave ONLY the main hard drive and DVD drive)

6) test your RAM (memtest)

7) burn an Ubuntu Live boot disc (boots from the DVD or CD) then look for your hard drive.

8) try drive on another computer

***If I had to guess:
a) Power or data connection for hard drive (swap with your DVD drive), or

b) defective motherboard, or

c) drive is defective.

d) power or data cable is defective (try different power AND data cable)

Summary:
When you say you SWAPPED it with the DVD drive and it worked temporarily it makes me suspect a cabling issue.

Elliot_72

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I am sure it's not a cabling issue because I've had both cables working. I think it has to be the motherboard being stupid- I'll try to update the bios....

Elliot_72

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
OK, so I've downloaded the latest bios from the website but it's an .exe file and it won't run from a DOS prompt. I'll try and use Ubuntu to run it. Wish me luck !)