Custom Build Problem Loading Windows 7

I just put together my first custom build. Everything powered up just fine from the start. First thing I did was go into the BIOS and set my SATA type to AHCI since I am using a solid state drive.

I then put in a my Windows 7 DVD which consists of a burned ISO image. However, it keeps telling me it can not find the software.

I tried burning the ISO at the slowest speed, and the fastest speed, none of which had any different result.

I tried setting the DVD drive to boot first in the BIOS, and also using F12 from the Gigabyte flash screen. No help.

I initially had the DVD drive hooked up to SATA port 1, and the SSD to port 0. I switched the DVD drive to port 4. The difference this time was instead of it telling me it couldn't read the disk, it said "boot from CD/DVD" then told me it couldn't read the disk.

I then changed SATA port 4/5 to IDE, (not knowing the difference) and it gave me the original error, without the "boot from CD/DVD."

I need help figuring out if my problem is the actual disk and the ISO, or if I do not have things set up properly, so I know which way to proceed.

All components are brand new.

My system info below:

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB
LG GH24LS70 DVD Drive
XFX HD-657X-ZNFQ Radeon HD 6570
AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W
5 answers Last reply
More about custom build problem loading windows
  1. Can you try seeing if Linux works, reseat the stuff and reply back then?
  2. Oh, and that thing used to happen to me. I changed some HDD setting from the BIOS to make it right like rain.
  3. I am ignorant when it comes to Linux. And if there are BIOS settings which would solve my problem, I'd love to know which ones.
  4. HDD settings, mainly. Sorry but I do not remember exactly.. And it could as well be a problem of the ISO, try a different one, maybe?
  5. In case anyone cares, I burned the ISO using the basic Windows software, which I now know will not make for a very bootable image.

After burning with imgburn, things went as planned.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Windows 7 Build Systems