Nvidia ycbcr44 screwing with my monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelo88

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hey guys, I've been having a problem with my monitor, and im not sure what the real cause is.

First, my hardawre:
monitor: viewsonic vx2753mh
gpu: palit gtx 560 ti sonic
cpu: Phenom II x4 970
mobo: asrock 990fx extreme 4

Recently after around 2 to 3 hours use, my monitor would go dark, but not the kind that happens when the vid card turns off(loss of signal). Rather its the kind like when you turn the brightness all the way down on a macbook - there's still a very dull image in the background, but the lights are out. After tinkering with the menu(blindly, coz even the menu couldn't be seen), i figured out that when resetting all the setting o the monitor, the image comes back.

Long story short, I narrowed it down to when i switch the settings on the nvidia control pane to ycbcr44, after a few hours, the same thing happens. But leaving it in RGB, and the monitor is fine.

SO is this a problem of the vid card? or of the monitor? And is it reason enough to return it?

And please don't say "stick to RGB then" coz the colors are just too beautiful in ycbcr mode. Unless, of course, its really a bad thing for my monitor.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes it seems your monitor support it. But if Windows is not recognizing your monitor properly, then that may be the issue as I do not thing generic plug and play supports that.

tlmck

Distinguished
It sounds like your monitor does not fully support the ycbcr44 setting. Is Windows running the actual driver for your monitor? Or is it set to generic plug and play. You could check this by right clicking on the desktop and go to display settings, or whatever it is called. You could also look it up in the Nvidia control panel and see if it matches the Windows one.

angelo88

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I'm not sure if its using the actuall driver or if its generic plug and play, I'll check it out later, I'm not i reach of my desktop right now. But my monitor does have an option for using RGB or ycbcr built into it, under the image set-up options(or something like that), and it automatically changes when i change the settings in the nvidia control panel. So I'm guessing that means my monitor is supposed to support ycbcr?

angelo88

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
windows is showing that the driver is that of my monitor(vx2753mh), so i guess it is using my monitor's drivers. But i re-downloaded and reinstalled the drivers again for whatever its worth. I'm doing another test to see if it will shut off again, i'll post in this thread if ever anything comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS