Sign in with
Your question

Help with my monitor setup. (3x display)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 5:45:16 AM

I'm currently looking into a computer build for video editing and slight gaming so I want to go for a 3x display.
I'd really like the 3 displays to be from 20-24 inches, so if you guys have any models to recommend me (with thin bezels), PLZ don't be afraid to advise.

Currently, I was going to set up 3 of these monitors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with two of these GPU cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But I have a few questions:
I most likely NEED 2 cards to connect the 3 monitors, correct? Two of these cards comes out to $740 so I am just wondering if I should get a 6990 dual GPU card for $730. Which option would provide the best performance?

Sidenote:
I will be getting an adequate power supply -- 1200W.

More about : monitor setup display

January 20, 2012 5:58:08 AM

I have no idea about monitors but

you can get a single 7970 for 3 monitors, its $550 but will not perform as well as sli 570s. It will be very powerful tho.

the 6990 will also not be as powerful as the 570 sli but is quite close, I'd say get the 570s in this case.

a 1200w is plenty as well.
January 20, 2012 6:03:05 AM

esrever said:
I have no idea about monitors but

you can get a single 7970 for 3 monitors, its $550 but will not perform as well as sli 570s. It will be very powerful tho.

the 6990 will also not be as powerful as the 570 sli but is quite close, I'd say get the 570s in this case.

a 1200w is plenty as well.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. If SLI 570s are more powerful than 6990s for only $10 more overall, I'll go with those :hello: 
Related resources
January 20, 2012 6:04:58 AM

Those monitors require displayport for passing a 120hz signal. nVidia does not support displayport.

Is there a particular reason you're looking at 3D monitors? You'll need 2x the gpu power to drive them at 120fps. At 5760x1080@120hz, no way 2x570 is going to pull it off. You're looking at needing 2x7970 at a minimum.

Here's a video of those 3 exact monitors (debezeled). He's running 2x7970 overclocked and is still having to reduce settings in BF3 in order to maintain 120fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovm7XBtaQAM

If you do decide to go this route, don't make the mistake he did. Make sure you wait for a non-reference 7970 that has 3x dp connectors. He's running the right monitor @ 60hz, so again it shows that trying to pull off 3x@120hz requires massive gpu power.
January 20, 2012 6:13:39 AM

a4mula said:
Those monitors require displayport for passing a 120hz signal. nVidia does not support displayport.

Is there a particular reason you're looking at 3D monitors? You'll need 2x the gpu power to drive them at 120fps. At 5760x1080@120hz, no way 2x570 is going to pull it off. You're looking at needing 2x7970 at a minimum.

Here's a video of those 3 exact monitors (debezeled). He's running 2x7970 overclocked and is still having to reduce settings in BF3 in order to maintain 120fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovm7XBtaQAM

If you do decide to go this route, don't make the mistake he did. Make sure you wait for a non-reference 7970 that has 3x dp connectors. He's running the right monitor @ 60hz, so again it shows that trying to pull off 3x@120hz requires massive gpu power.

I am wondering if the 3D has to be enabled all the time on these monitors (?)
If so, I will pass on them because yes it would be too much for the GPUs, imo. But I have a few 3D BluRay movies that I intend to watch and I'm definitely going to get more in the future. That's really the only time I'd have 3D enabled honestly

Basically I just see the 3D as a side thing lol. I mainly need the monitors for the space for my video production.

Oh, and when I do use the 3D, I was going to only use one of the 3 monitors and leave the others off. This would conserve power and keep the GPUs stable, correct?
January 20, 2012 6:23:23 AM

If you're planning on running in portrait at all (like the guy in the video) then your best bet is to go for an IPS display. TN displays have limited viewing angles that when in portrait mode shift that viewing angle in a vertical manner making it less-than ideal.

Dell has quite a few monitors you might be interested in.

U2212HM This is a 21.5" 1920x1080 IPS display you can get it for $209 + free shipping if you contact Dell Small Business directly.

U2312HM This is the 23" version of the above. I'm sure there are deals that can be found on it, I haven't looked.

U2412m This is a 24" 1920x1200 IPS. It can be had for $299 + free shipping, again must contact directly.

U2410 This is also 24" 1920x1200 IPS. The difference is this is CCFL and supports 102% sRGB. This is intended for professional users.

Of the four above the u2412m represents the best overall deal imo. You get the 16:10 aspect ratio, LED backlighting (which has both advantages and disadvantages) and at $300 represents the lowest cost 16:10 24" IPS screen on the market by far.
January 20, 2012 6:26:23 AM

sfxc said:
I am wondering if the 3D has to be enabled all the time on these monitors (?)
If so, I will pass on them because yes it would be too much for the GPUs, imo. But I have a few 3D BluRay movies that I intend to watch and I'm definitely going to get more in the future. That's really the only time I'd have 3D enabled honestly

Basically I just see the 3D as a side thing lol. I mainly need the monitors for the space for my video production.

Oh, and when I do use the 3D, I was going to only use one of the 3 monitors and leave the others off. This would conserve power and keep the GPUs stable, correct?

I don't know much about nVidia surround honestly. I know in Eyefinity (AMDs multi-monitor solution) you can have multiple profiles that can disable additional monitors. Just turning them off will not help at all as the signal is still being passed.

Again, just keep in mind that the monitors you're currently looking at do not support 3D with nVidia. You'd probably want to take a look at the Asus 120hz offerings as they pass the signal via DVI-D which nVidia does support.
January 20, 2012 6:29:01 AM

a4mula said:
If you're planning on running in portrait at all (like the guy in the video) then your best bet is to go for an IPS display. TN displays have limited viewing angles that when in portrait mode shift that viewing angle in a vertical manner making it less-than ideal.

Dell has quite a few monitors you might be interested in.

U2212HM This is a 21.5" 1920x1080 IPS display you can get it for $209 + free shipping if you contact Dell Small Business directly.

U2312HM This is the 23" version of the above. I'm sure there are deals that can be found on it, I haven't looked.

U2412m This is a 24" 1920x1200 IPS. It can be had for $299 + free shipping, again must contact directly.

U2410 This is also 24" 1920x1200 IPS. The difference is this is CCFL and supports 102% sRGB. This is intended for professional users.

Of the four above the u2412m represents the best overall deal imo. You get the 16:10 aspect ratio, LED backlighting (which has both advantages and disadvantages) and at $300 represents the lowest cost 16:10 IPS screen on the market by far.

TY for this!

Though I hear that IPS displays are less favorable than LCD displays for movies due to slower response times?
Trying to decide between the tradeoffs: more vivid color reproduction --> slower response, faster response --> colors less accurate/more dull.
January 20, 2012 6:34:20 AM

sfxc said:
TY for this!

Though I hear that IPS displays are less favorable than LCD displays for movies due to slower response times?
Trying to decide between the tradeoffs: more vivid color reproduction --> slower response, faster response --> colors less accurate/more dull.

Perhaps I'm just not susceptible to noticing it, but I'm currently using 3x 2209wa which is the older generation of Dell 22" IPS. I've never noticed ghosting or input lag and I do play FPS games. Again, this might just be my lack of perception in that regard.

If memory serves, and you'd probably want to double check. But Prad.de listed the 21.5 and 23 at 8ms, while both the 24" were listed at 16ms.

Oh, great sight for finding monitors btw.

http://www.prad.de/en/index.html

TFTCentral is another great site, though they've recently went to a pay model to view their newest articles.

Widescreengaming.com is the place to go for all your Eyefinity and Surround questions. Very knowledgeable folks there that do this kind of stuff every single day.

edit: No, the monitors don't have to be run in 3D. If you watch that video you can see he's not taking advantage of 3D whatsoever. It's the 120hz over 60hz advantage in 2D that he was after. It provides 2x the fps capabilities. At 60hz even if your capable of pushing 60+ FPS it's wasted as the monitor will only refresh a maximum of 60 times per second. So with 120hz you double that in essence doubling your maximum fps. While it might seem like a waste (and to a degree it is) it does have certain benefits. Crisper and cleaner lines (anti-aliasing) are naturally displayed the faster your fps because it reduces screen-tearing. It's also much more difficult to experience the jittering effects of AFR (micro-stutter) that's present in any sli/crossfire setup because of the minimal frame dropping.

Wow, longwinded for such a short answer. But no, you don't have to run these screens in 3D or even 120hz if you choose not to. Gnight, gotta catch some zzes but hopefully you've got some things to consider and a few places to start looking.
January 20, 2012 6:43:12 AM

a4mula said:
I don't know much about nVidia surround honestly. I know in Eyefinity (AMDs multi-monitor solution) you can have multiple profiles that can disable additional monitors. Just turning them off will not help at all as the signal is still being passed.

Again, just keep in mind that the monitors you're currently looking at do not support 3D with nVidia. You'd probably want to take a look at the Asus 120hz offerings as they pass the signal via DVI-D which nVidia does support.

I see.
Is this a good alternative? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm also wondering if I should just consider getting an AMD card instead of nVidia. But I'm not sure which cards I'd have to SLI to get the same performance as an SLI 570 setup for under $800, I don't know much about AMD.
January 20, 2012 6:45:59 AM

a4mula said:
Perhaps I'm just not susceptible to noticing it, but I'm currently using 3x 2209wa which is the older generation of Dell 22" IPS. I've never noticed ghosting or input lag and I do play FPS games. Again, this might just be my lack of perception in that regard.

If memory serves, and you'd probably want to double check. But Prad.de listed the 21.5 and 23 at 8ms, while both the 24" were listed at 16ms.

Oh, great sight for finding monitors btw.

http://www.prad.de/en/index.html

TFTCentral is another great site, though they've recently went to a pay model to view their newest articles.

Widescreengaming.com is the place to go for all your Eyefinity and Surround questions. Very knowledgeable folks there that do this kind of stuff every single day.

edit: No, the monitors don't have to be run in 3D. If you watch that video you can see he's not taking advantage of 3D whatsoever. It's the 120hz over 60hz advantage in 2D that he was after. It provides 2x the fps capabilities. At 60hz even if your capable of pushing 60+ FPS it's wasted as the monitor will only refresh a maximum of 60 times per second. So with 120hz you double that in essence doubling your maximum fps. While it might seem like a waste (and to a degree it is) it does have certain benefits. Crisper and cleaner lines (anti-aliasing) are naturally displayed the faster your fps because it reduces screen-tearing. It's also much more difficult to experience the jittering effects of AFR (micro-stutter) that's present in any sli/crossfire setup because of the minimal frame dropping.

Wow, longwinded for such a short answer. But no, you don't have to run these screens in 3D or even 120hz if you choose not to. Gnight, gotta catch some zzes but hopefully you've got some things to consider and a few places to start looking.

Great, thank you for all of this info. It's kind of confusing. I'll work something out tho
January 20, 2012 6:49:08 AM

you should be able to get 2 6970 for about the same price as 2 570s which would be the same level of performance.
January 20, 2012 7:05:43 AM

esrever said:
you should be able to get 2 6970 for about the same price as 2 570s which would be the same level of performance.

sounds good.
Now to decide...
January 20, 2012 3:20:49 PM

sfxc said:
I see.
Is this a good alternative? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm also wondering if I should just consider getting an AMD card instead of nVidia. But I'm not sure which cards I'd have to SLI to get the same performance as an SLI 570 setup for under $800, I don't know much about AMD.

That looks like a great offering for nVidia users. As far as AMD vs nVidia goes, that's a personal choice imo. If 3D is what you're really after though, I'd venture to say that nVidia has the edge in that department. They've been doing it longer, they tend to have better and more stable drivers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-3d-vision-h...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tridef-stereoscopic...

Those are two articles that cover the topic, personally I really haven't looked into 3D much at all. I do have an interest in 120hz 2D, but while similar isn't the same.
January 20, 2012 6:35:56 PM

a4mula said:
That looks like a great offering for nVidia users. As far as AMD vs nVidia goes, that's a personal choice imo. If 3D is what you're really after though, I'd venture to say that nVidia has the edge in that department. They've been doing it longer, they tend to have better and more stable drivers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-3d-vision-h...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tridef-stereoscopic...

Those are two articles that cover the topic, personally I really haven't looked into 3D much at all. I do have an interest in 120hz 2D, but while similar isn't the same.
Thanks a lot. Will take a look at those.
2D is universal so that's my primary interest at the moment. 3D is the icing on the cake.
!