Aftermarket 7970 release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Send me the video, I shall go and troll him. There will not be bandwith issues, at all. That 3gb of vram is for resolution, basically if you are playing above 1080P 2gb of vram is needed, but 3gb of vram will not really be needed unless you will play at 5000x2000 or something like that. Regardless 2.1 or whatever runs the 7970 fine and will not bottleneck it at all.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Supply is pretty limited at the moment, and I wouldn't expect miracles from aftermarket versions in terms of clock speeds, I really doubt you'll see any push the card further than the max overdrive clocks (200 MHz higher on core clock) for a long time or perhaps ever.

What you will get is a quieter / cooler product though.

You can hit pretty good oc's on the STOCK cooler! Think of what msi will do when they put their twin frozr iii cooler on it! My 560ti's twinfrozr ii and hawk both are oc'ed from stock of 822mhz to 1ghz!

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Can I just add if I should wait for the Ivy bridge? I just watched some tech videos and the guy was like, you cant really take advantage of the 3gb ram on the 7970 cause of the bandwith issues and that you'd probably have to wait for the Ivy bridge so you can fully utilize the PCIE 3.0 slots since its only the ivy bridge that has a 3.0 controller.

Send me the video, I shall go and troll him. There will not be bandwith issues, at all. That 3gb of vram is for resolution, basically if you are playing above 1080P 2gb of vram is needed, but 3gb of vram will not really be needed unless you will play at 5000x2000 or something like that. Regardless 2.1 or whatever runs the 7970 fine and will not bottleneck it at all.

Solution

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Is it easy to overclock a 7970? BTW my mobo is a Asrock extreme 3 gen. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.