Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disappointed with V551

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with the
Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
Neal.

More about : disappointed v551

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:38:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

<njacobs1966@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1121694301.940417.171950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
> AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
> still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with the
> Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
> is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
> volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
> that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
> several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
> cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
> Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
> Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
> Neal.
>

A Nokia 6230 should do the trick. It'll be a bit pricey (you might try
ebay), but you should be quite happy with it. You'll need to get a new 64K
Cingular SIM for it, though. Just don't let Cingular start a new contract
when you purchase the 64K SIM, assuming you don't buy the handset from
Cingular. I mean, they are going to have to start a new contract, but make
sure that they don't move the expiration date of the contract on you. If
your current contract was due to expire in (for example) December, then the
"new" contract that they start to give you the 64K SIM should also expire in
December. -Dave
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:44:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I also had a Moto under Cingular. Hated the menu, short battery life, the
having to reboot, low volume, etc. Moved the Nokia 6230 (BT, MP3, great
battery life, etc).

Don
<njacobs1966@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1121694301.940417.171950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
> AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
> still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with the
> Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
> is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
> volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
> that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
> several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
> cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
> Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
> Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
> Neal.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:16:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:38:40 -0400, "Ted B." <noway@nohow.not.ever>
wrote:
><njacobs1966@aol.com> wrote in message
>news:1121694301.940417.171950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
>> AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
>> still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with the
>> Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
>> is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
>> volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
>> that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
>> several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
>> cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
>> Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
>> Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
>> Neal.
>>
>
>A Nokia 6230 should do the trick. It'll be a bit pricey (you might try
>ebay), but you should be quite happy with it. You'll need to get a new 64K
>Cingular SIM for it, though. Just don't let Cingular start a new contract
>when you purchase the 64K SIM, assuming you don't buy the handset from
>Cingular. I mean, they are going to have to start a new contract, but make
>sure that they don't move the expiration date of the contract on you. If
>your current contract was due to expire in (for example) December, then the
>"new" contract that they start to give you the 64K SIM should also expire in
>December. -Dave

The 551 is kind of what I was considering to replace my V60 Color..

Are these types of complaints about the 551 common?

MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:23:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> The 551 is kind of what I was considering to replace my V60 Color..
>
> Are these types of complaints about the 551 common?
>
> MP-
>
\

They are common with just about all the Motorola branded handsets, other
than the T720. But the T720 has other 'issues'. Motorola has been on a
real roll, lately. (ha ha) Google the V600, if you want to know more.
Short version: If you are considering Motorola anything, think Nokia
instead. -Dave
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:31:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:23:11 -0400, "Ted B." <noway@nohow.not.ever>
wrote:
>They are common with just about all the Motorola branded handsets, other
>than the T720. But the T720 has other 'issues'. Motorola has been on a
>real roll, lately. (ha ha) Google the V600, if you want to know more.
>Short version: If you are considering Motorola anything, think Nokia
>instead. -Dave

Ted, thanks for taking time to respond. This is very helpful.

I actually ditched Nokia after several years of faithful service (had
4 generations of improved devices) when their durability seemed to be
slipping.

I've had nothing but excellent results with my Motorola V60 color, but
it sounds as though perhaps it's time to move back to Nokia. I don't
have the battery problems that people seem to have with Motorola, but
their feature set and menu format certainly leaves something to be
desired.

Thanks again,
MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:29:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Don Udel (ETC)" <donudel@ellijay.com> wrote in message
news:D bgf7101990@enews1.newsguy.com...
>I also had a Moto under Cingular. Hated the menu, short battery life, the
>having to reboot, low volume, etc. Moved the Nokia 6230 (BT, MP3, great
>battery life, etc).
>
> Don
> <njacobs1966@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1121694301.940417.171950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

I have 5 of the V551's. Did have 1 Nokia. Returned it and got another V551.
No problems with volume, battery life, reception, transmission, etc. All
phones of any mfr are not equal in all respects. Some of us are fortunate to
get quality equipment and some get rejects. Just try them all.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:45:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:29:36 -0500, "Thomas Avery" wrote:
>I have 5 of the V551's. Did have 1 Nokia. Returned it and got another V551.
>No problems with volume, battery life, reception, transmission, etc. All
>phones of any mfr are not equal in all respects. Some of us are fortunate to
>get quality equipment and some get rejects. Just try them all.

That puts me back at ease.. thank you for the response!

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
July 18, 2005 10:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

njacobs1966@aol.com wrote:
> I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
> AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
> still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with the
> Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
> is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
> volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
> that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
> several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
> cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
> Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
> Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
> Neal.
>



I'm one of a dozen people I know that all have a V551 (two of us have
more than one), and we're all happy as pigs with new buckets of slop.

Like thousands of others, we don't make a big deal about being this
happy with our Moto toys, but since someone mentioned it...

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:14:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks for the feedback. I've narrowed it down to the Nokia 6230 and
the 6620. Any thoughts on the quality of the 6620? Thanks, Neal.
July 19, 2005 3:38:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
news:11dof28kqpjldb@corp.supernews.com...
> njacobs1966@aol.com wrote:
>> I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
>> AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
>> still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with the
>> Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
>> is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
>> volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
>> that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
>> several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
>> cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
>> Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
>> Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
>> Neal.
>>
>
>
>
> I'm one of a dozen people I know that all have a V551 (two of us have more
> than one), and we're all happy as pigs with new buckets of slop.
>
> Like thousands of others, we don't make a big deal about being this happy
> with our Moto toys, but since someone mentioned it...
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

chalk up two more happy customers
July 19, 2005 3:38:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:38:50 GMT, "ABC" <nospam@swbell.net> wrote:

>
>"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
>news:11dof28kqpjldb@corp.supernews.com...
>> njacobs1966@aol.com wrote:
>>> I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
>>> AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
>>> still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with the
>>> Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
>>> is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
>>> volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
>>> that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
>>> several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
>>> cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
>>> Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
>>> Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
>>> Neal.
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> I'm one of a dozen people I know that all have a V551 (two of us have more
>> than one), and we're all happy as pigs with new buckets of slop.
>>
>> Like thousands of others, we don't make a big deal about being this happy
>> with our Moto toys, but since someone mentioned it...
>>
>> --
>> jer
>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>
>chalk up two more happy customers
>

Chalk up another one!
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:21:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"cougar" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:p vfod1hv07b0q7tkpftk2vqms54tf2pbms@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:38:50 GMT, "ABC" <nospam@swbell.net> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> >news:11dof28kqpjldb@corp.supernews.com...
> >> njacobs1966@aol.com wrote:
> >>> I am a former AT&T Wireless subscriber who migrated to Cingular. My
> >>> AT&T phone was a TDMA candybar Nokia. I upgraded to the Moto while
> >>> still under AT&T. It has an AT&T sim card. I am not very happy with
the
> >>> Moto. I have a lot of trouble hearing callers. IMO, the overall volume
> >>> is just too low. I can't use a hex editing tool to tweak the factory
> >>> volume settings, because I am running Win98SE. Another odd thing is
> >>> that the V551 faceplate has developed some sort of stress cracks in
> >>> several places. I baby this phone, so I can't understand where the
> >>> cracks are coming from. I miss the quality(and battery life) of the
> >>> Nokia. Can anyone recommend a solid Nokia or other phone to use on the
> >>> Cingular network? I would like to have Bluetooth capability. Thanks,
> >>> Neal.
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> I'm one of a dozen people I know that all have a V551 (two of us have
more
> >> than one), and we're all happy as pigs with new buckets of slop.
> >>
> >> Like thousands of others, we don't make a big deal about being this
happy
> >> with our Moto toys, but since someone mentioned it...
> >>
> >> --
> >> jer
> >> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
> >
> >chalk up two more happy customers
> >
>
> Chalk up another one!
>
And one more (although I would prefer IR instead of BT).
July 19, 2005 8:26:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:33:34 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>I'm one of a dozen people I know that all have a V551 (two of us have
>more than one), and we're all happy as pigs with new buckets of slop.
>
>Like thousands of others, we don't make a big deal about being this
>happy with our Moto toys, but since someone mentioned it...

.... and three more happy customers
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:29:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Agree with you on quality issues. For me however, the Moto menu was
cumbersome. I also did not care for the way each number for a person was
stored separately. The menu system did not work for me; I'm sure it works
well for others.

Don
"Thomas Avery" <phoenix5@shores.net> wrote in message
news:42dc115c$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
>
> "Don Udel (ETC)" <donudel@ellijay.com> wrote in message
> news:D bgf7101990@enews1.newsguy.com...
>>I also had a Moto under Cingular. Hated the menu, short battery life, the
>>having to reboot, low volume, etc. Moved the Nokia 6230 (BT, MP3, great
>>battery life, etc).
>>
>> Don
>> <njacobs1966@aol.com> wrote in message
>> news:1121694301.940417.171950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
> I have 5 of the V551's. Did have 1 Nokia. Returned it and got another
> V551. No problems with volume, battery life, reception, transmission, etc.
> All phones of any mfr are not equal in all respects. Some of us are
> fortunate to get quality equipment and some get rejects. Just try them
> all.
>
>
July 19, 2005 8:05:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am sorry to hear that people do not like the Motorola phones. I have had
nothing but /\/\otorola cell phones and wouldn't have it any other way. We
have 2 551s in the house and we love them.

Jeff

"Harry" <harry@the.end> wrote in message
news:830pd1p4tekqkg3vharoc0873lhrt2frn4@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:33:34 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>
>>I'm one of a dozen people I know that all have a V551 (two of us have
>>more than one), and we're all happy as pigs with new buckets of slop.
>>
>>Like thousands of others, we don't make a big deal about being this
>>happy with our Moto toys, but since someone mentioned it...
>
> ... and three more happy customers
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:50:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <dshnd11ne1tilmbv625muvcsbabs93ftv3@4ax.com> on Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:16:04
-0400, Mangus Pyke <manguspyke@REMOVE-TO-REPLYcomcast.net> wrote:

>The 551 is kind of what I was considering to replace my V60 Color..
>
>Are these types of complaints about the 551 common?

No. The V551 is an excellent handset, arguably the best currently available
for Cingular.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:52:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <dbiv7201s0q@enews1.newsguy.com> on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:21 -0400, "Don
Udel \(ETC\)" <donudel@ellijay.com> wrote:

>Agree with you on quality issues. For me however, the Moto menu was
>cumbersome. I also did not care for the way each number for a person was
>stored separately. The menu system did not work for me; I'm sure it works
>well for others.

Or the manual apparently, since it describes how to combine multiple numbers
into a single combined entry. ;-)

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:52:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <85bDe.4759$p%3.28282@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Agree with you on quality issues. For me however, the Moto menu was
> >cumbersome. I also did not care for the way each number for a person was
> >stored separately. The menu system did not work for me; I'm sure it works
> >well for others.
>
> Or the manual apparently, since it describes how to combine multiple numbers
> into a single combined entry. ;-)

Or maybe Navas doesn't understand that only phone-stored numbers can be
set up this way, and that SIM-stored numbers cannot.

Or maybe Navas is blind to the fact that most people prefer to store
their numbers in the SIM for portability.

Or maybe Navas is just an ignorant ass. ;-)
July 19, 2005 11:56:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Harry" <harry@the.end> wrote in message
news:830pd1p4tekqkg3vharoc0873lhrt2frn4@4ax.com...
: On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:33:34 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
:
: >I'm one of a dozen people I know that all have a V551 (two of us have
: >more than one), and we're all happy as pigs with new buckets of slop.
: >
: >Like thousands of others, we don't make a big deal about being this
: >happy with our Moto toys, but since someone mentioned it...
:
: ... and three more happy customers

.. . .and 2 more happy customers
July 19, 2005 11:58:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:85bDe.4759$p%3.28282@typhoon.sonic.net...
: [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
:
: In <dbiv7201s0q@enews1.newsguy.com> on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:21 -0400,
"Don
: Udel \(ETC\)" <donudel@ellijay.com> wrote:
:
: >Agree with you on quality issues. For me however, the Moto menu was
: >cumbersome. I also did not care for the way each number for a person was
: >stored separately. The menu system did not work for me; I'm sure it
works
: >well for others.
:
: Or the manual apparently, since it describes how to combine multiple
numbers
: into a single combined entry. ;-)

I have 2 v551's and both have multiple numbers for a single entries.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:06:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John,

Is it possible to combine entries on the V600 also? I thought I had
read the manual thoroughly, and I noticed that it offers to allow a
"new entry" after entering a new number into the phone book, and I
thought that would keep it under the person's name. However, to my
chagrin, it ended up being a separate entry! :-(

I'm actually quite happy with my V600, which I've had since September
2004. I was dropping calls, but eventually found that it was only when
I was talking to friends with Verizon service, and apparently they were
the ones losing signal (when they looked at their handsets). I never
have this problem when speaking to other Cingular or even T-Mobile
users...

The earpiece volume IS too low...I need to do some hex editing now that
I have a USB cable.

Another strange thing is that it seemed like some of my total memory
disappeared, and now when I try to run some games (even those that came
factory installed), or play ring tones that I've added, the phone will
crash. Is this indicative of memory problems? I found one post that
suggested doing a "master clear" or "master reset," because he found
that when adding files via bluetooth, they sometimes get misfiled and
cause memory to disappear. It appears that mine is this plus a memory
conflict. Do you know anything about this issue?

OK, well other than good performance during calls, and good battery
life, I suppose I do have some issues with my V600!

Thanks,
Ford Man
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:45:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:52:04 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <dbiv7201s0q@enews1.newsguy.com> on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:21 -0400, "Don
>Udel \(ETC\)" <donudel@ellijay.com> wrote:
>
>>Agree with you on quality issues. For me however, the Moto menu was
>>cumbersome. I also did not care for the way each number for a person was
>>stored separately. The menu system did not work for me; I'm sure it works
>>well for others.
>
>Or the manual apparently, since it describes how to combine multiple numbers
>into a single combined entry. ;-)

That's really about my only complaint about the RAZR. I have about
600 numbers transferred from Outlook and you have to go through them
one by one.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:33:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jeff wrote:
> I am sorry to hear that people do not like the Motorola phones. I have had
> nothing but /\/\otorola cell phones and wouldn't have it any other way. We
> have 2 551s in the house and we love them.

I'd have to say I agree; never had a problem with a Motorola phone; be
it AMPS, CDMA, iDEN or GSM (and I've tried all types over the years).
Currently on a black RAZR and am very happy with it.



--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:18:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <aAuDe.11880$xn.5700@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
Bioprof <Bioprof@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>A dissenting voice -- my v551 has been a cingular [sic] mistake! I'm on
> my 3rd one (warranty exchanges) due to extraordinarily short battery
>life after following all the tips for conserving power and with pretty
>limited usage, no games, etc. Also on my 3rd battery. Now I have a
>phone/battery combo that gives me at least intermittently decent battery
>time (sometimes 150hrs, but sometimes only 35-50hrs - no significant
>difference in usage pattern).

Send it to Motorola for the April 15 firmware update specifically designed
to improve battery life. It also adds "vibe and ring" to the selectbale
audio alerts, and changes the boxed GPRS indicator to an "E" when you have
en EDGE data connection.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:19:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1121872012.464597.106200@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"fordman" <fordman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to combine entries on the V600 also? I thought I had
> read the manual thoroughly, and I noticed that it offers to allow a
> "new entry" after entering a new number into the phone book, and I
> thought that would keep it under the person's name. However, to my
> chagrin, it ended up being a separate entry! :-(

When you store it on the SIM, it's all separate entries. Only the phone
itself can store multiple numbers in one name entry.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:05:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks Elmo,

Yes, I read that in your reply to John Navas. I am only using the
phone directory on my V600, and all 250 entries on my 32K Cingular SIM
are empty. So, what's the mystery to store several entry types under a
single name in the directory?

Thanks,
Ford Man
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:14:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1121915109.897490.50110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"fordman" <fordman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So, what's the mystery to store several entry types under a
> single name in the directory?

On the phone itself? I don't have mine with me, but some poking around
should find it for you.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:26:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Does anyone know if you can add a "contact" field in the V551 -- say you
have a company "ABC Corp" and you'd like to include a contact name as a
reminder in the Address Book...??

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software
http://www.railjonrogut.com
mailto:rail@railjonrogut.com

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-63EF6E.15495219072005@nntp1.usenetserver.com...
> In article <85bDe.4759$p%3.28282@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >Agree with you on quality issues. For me however, the Moto menu was
>> >cumbersome. I also did not care for the way each number for a person
>> >was
>> >stored separately. The menu system did not work for me; I'm sure it
>> >works
>> >well for others.
>>
>> Or the manual apparently, since it describes how to combine multiple
>> numbers
>> into a single combined entry. ;-)
>
> Or maybe Navas doesn't understand that only phone-stored numbers can be
> set up this way, and that SIM-stored numbers cannot.
>
> Or maybe Navas is blind to the fact that most people prefer to store
> their numbers in the SIM for portability.
>
> Or maybe Navas is just an ignorant ass. ;-)
>
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:39:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1121915109.897490.50110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 20 Jul 2005
20:05:09 -0700, "fordman" <fordman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>... So, what's the mystery to store several entry types under a
>single name in the directory?

On the V551, you configure the phone to display only the primary entry for a
given name. The other entries are available by expanding the primary entry.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:31:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <DNRDe.6978$oZ.1020@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Jul 2005
18:26:43 GMT, "Rail Jon Rogut" <railro@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know if you can add a "contact" field in the V551 -- say you
>have a company "ABC Corp" and you'd like to include a contact name as a
>reminder in the Address Book...??

<http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manuals/V551manual_9486...;

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:13:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Yeah -- I've read the manual.. and didn't see the ability, wanted to know if
I missed something (we're all not infallible).

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software
http://www.railjonrogut.com
mailto:rail@railjonrogut.com

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:D KSDe.5098$p%3.28873@typhoon.sonic.net...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <DNRDe.6978$oZ.1020@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Jul
> 2005
> 18:26:43 GMT, "Rail Jon Rogut" <railro@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know if you can add a "contact" field in the V551 -- say you
>>have a company "ABC Corp" and you'd like to include a contact name as a
>>reminder in the Address Book...??
>
> <http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manuals/V551manual_9486...;
>
> --
> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:25:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <jvZDe.15082$aY6.1513@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Fri, 22 Jul 2005
03:13:19 GMT, "Rail Jon Rogut" <railro@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Yeah -- I've read the manual.. and didn't see the ability, wanted to know if
>I missed something (we're all not infallible).

For the V551, it's Show only Primary contact.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:20:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks John - that works for the V600 also! I found the "show primary"
option, but since I had already given each entry a unique alpha tag,
the same display showed. I have started editing so the duplicates show
the same alpha tag. However, I must admit it was sometimes useful to
see on the outside display where a person was calling from via the
unique alpha tag, i.e. "John Cell" versus "John Home," etc.

Thanks again,

Ford Man
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:16:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On the V551, you configure the phone to display only the primary entry for a
> given name. The other entries are available by expanding the primary entry.

PhoneBook-Menu-scroll down to setup.
"expanding" wasn't quite clear to me. It didn't work the same way as
Nokia, where the other listings distinctly appear under the single name.

The effect in the V551 is such that each entry is separate and distinct,
but setting the "primary only" option shows only the primary entries at the
top level. Viewing one of those primary entries drops you into the
phonebook at that point, where you can scroll up and down through the
details listings of the entire phone book, primary and non-primary.

The phone is aware of the grouping, though. You adjust which of the
listings is the primary by Phonebook-highlight the name-menu-set primary,
where all of the entries for that name appear, with a check mark on the
primary.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

fordman <fordman@hotmail.com> wrote:
> the same display showed. I have started editing so the duplicates show

Sounds like a job for Mobile Phone Tools.
http://www.bvrp.com/customers/motorola/upgrade/US/

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
!