It appears to be an XP Home setting that tool tips belonging to buttons
become unavailable quickly. Is there a registry setting to make them persist
through multiple viewings and still be there after a button is clicked?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Automated edit look here:

Read instructions at the top
Scroll down to:
7. Increase Balloon Tip Display Time
=================

I don't know what the max time limit is. I've always tried to make it as
short as possible since I can't get rid of the damn things. ;-)

Or navigate to>>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNot
ify
BalloonTip
REG_DWORD
0x00000003 (3)
----
Hexadecimal

3 = 3 seconds
5 = 5 seconds
et cetera

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:l2Wcd.28511$bk1.3672@fed1read05,
Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> hunted and pecked:
> It appears to be an XP Home setting that tool tips belonging to
> buttons become unavailable quickly. Is there a registry setting to
> make them persist through multiple viewings and still be there after
> a button is clicked?

Thanks, Wes.

It doesn't work at all in xp home sp2, slipstreamed.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

> Automated edit look here:
>
> Read instructions at the top
> Scroll down to:
> 7. Increase Balloon Tip Display Time
> =================
>
> I don't know what the max time limit is. I've always tried to make it as
> short as possible since I can't get rid of the damn things. ;-)
>
> Or navigate to>>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNot
> ify
> BalloonTip
> REG_DWORD
> 0x00000003 (3)
> ----
> Hexadecimal
>
> 3 = 3 seconds
> 5 = 5 seconds
> et cetera
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:l2Wcd.28511$bk1.3672@fed1read05,
> Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> hunted and pecked:
>> It appears to be an XP Home setting that tool tips belonging to
>> buttons become unavailable quickly. Is there a registry setting to
>> make them persist through multiple viewings and still be there after
>> a button is clicked?

kelly

Have you tried it hands on?

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> Have you tried it hands on?
Yes, I tried 10 and 999 seconds (entered as decimal) but it winks out at
about 3 and is cranky about showing again, even after a reboot.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Wanna trade, Ed? I can't get rid of Balloon Tips. We all have our XP cross
to bear.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OEddd.31628$bk1.29214@fed1read05,

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote
| Wanna trade, Ed? I can't get rid of Balloon Tips.

Exactly which "tips" ?
- balloon
- info
- quick
- tool

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote
> | Wanna trade, Ed? I can't get rid of Balloon Tips.
>
> Exactly which "tips" ?
> - balloon
> - info
> - quick
> - tool

I'd like the ones over buttons to last longer.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Any of them. My all time favorite is the one over the Start button.
[[Click here to begin]]. I wonder how many times people have to see that
"tip" before committing it to memory. <LOL>

I can change the duration and I have changed the text size. I've also
changed the background color from that horrid looking tan or whatever it was
to off white.

I do kinda like the Date tip over the clock. For some reason I'm too lazy
to turn my head and look at the calendar hanging on the wall. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:DRZdd.36177$bk1.13414@fed1read05,
Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> hunted and pecked:
> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote
>>> Wanna trade, Ed? I can't get rid of Balloon Tips.
>>
>> Exactly which "tips" ?
>> - balloon
>> - info
>> - quick
>> - tool
>>

> I'd like the ones over buttons to last longer.

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote
| Any of them. My all time favorite is the one over the Start button.
| [[Click here to begin]]. I wonder how many times people have to see that
| "tip" before committing it to memory. <LOL>
|
| I can change the duration and I have changed the text size. I've also
| changed the background color from that horrid looking tan or whatever it was
| to off white.
|
| I do kinda like the Date tip over the clock. For some reason I'm too lazy
| to turn my head and look at the calendar hanging on the wall. ;-)
|
| >> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote
| >>
| >> Exactly which "tips" ?
| >> - balloon
| >> - info
| >> - quick
| >> - tool

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm
(Removing Balloon PopUps in XP) ~ by Vic Ferri
1. DISABLE TASKBAR BALLOON TIPS - notification area
2. DISABLE START BUTTON BALLOON TIPS
3. DISABLE START MENU BALLOON TIPS
4. DISABLE FOLDER CONTENT INFO BUBBLES
5. DISABLE POPUP DESCRIPTIONS FOR FOLDERS AND ICONS
6. TO DISABLE PRINTER SPOOLER BALLOON TIPS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831582
7. TO DISABLE WINDOWS XP TOUR BALLOON TIPS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311489
8. DISABLE MICROSOFT PASSPORT REMINDER BALLOON TIP
9. DISABLE NETWORK REMINDER BALLOON TIPS

(Repair/Customize Quick Launch, Taskbar and Notification Area)
Disable Balloon Tips

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186385
How to Disable ToolTips for Minimize, Maximize, and Close
(Win 98 - concepts)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/55198.asp
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop
REG_BINARY UserPreferencesMask Bit 7 = Hot tracking

http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_tips.html
ToolTips

http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/exploreroptions.html
ExtraToolTips

kelly

Interesting! Thanks for the feedback. Will try to re-create.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

>> Have you tried it hands on?
> Yes, I tried 10 and 999 seconds (entered as decimal) but it winks out at
> about 3 and is cranky about showing again, even after a reboot.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

kelly

Hi Wes,

There is a claim to fix "Click here to begin" within XP, but it doesn't
work. Haven't had it on my to-do list as of late, but will add it, just for
you. :eek:)

--

> Any of them. My all time favorite is the one over the Start button.
> [[Click here to begin]]. I wonder how many times people have to see that
> "tip" before committing it to memory. <LOL>
>
> I can change the duration and I have changed the text size. I've also
> changed the background color from that horrid looking tan or whatever it
> was
> to off white.
>
> I do kinda like the Date tip over the clock. For some reason I'm too lazy
> to turn my head and look at the calendar hanging on the wall. ;-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:DRZdd.36177$bk1.13414@fed1read05,
> Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> hunted and pecked:
>> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote
>>>
>>> Exactly which "tips" ?
>>> - balloon
>>> - info
>>> - quick
>>> - tool
>>>

>> I'd like the ones over buttons to last longer.

Howdy Kelly,

This one >>>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Advanced
StartButtonBalloonTip
REG_DWORD
0

No, it doesn't work. But the upside is that half the time it's hidden
behind the taskbar. <LOL>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OdgwCSyuEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes,
>
> There is a claim to fix "Click here to begin" within XP, but it
> doesn't work. Haven't had it on my to-do list as of late, but will
> add it, just for you. :eek:)

>> Any of them. My all time favorite is the one over the Start button.
>> [[Click here to begin]]. I wonder how many times people have to see
>> that "tip" before committing it to memory. <LOL>
>>
>> I can change the duration and I have changed the text size. I've
>> also changed the background color from that horrid looking tan or
>> whatever it was
>> to off white.
>>
>> I do kinda like the Date tip over the clock. For some reason I'm
>> too lazy to turn my head and look at the calendar hanging on the
>> wall. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:DRZdd.36177$bk1.13414@fed1read05,
>> Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> hunted and pecked:
>>> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> I'd like the ones over buttons to last longer.

kelly

Hi Wes,

Not here, but I know what you are speaking of. This isn't an offset of just
the Start button, when this behavior does come into play, though. :eek:)

--

> Howdy Kelly,
>
> This one >>>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
> Explorer\Advanced
> StartButtonBalloonTip
> REG_DWORD
> 0
>
> No, it doesn't work. But the upside is that half the time it's hidden
> behind the taskbar. <LOL>
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:OdgwCSyuEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wes,
>>
>> There is a claim to fix "Click here to begin" within XP, but it
>> doesn't work. Haven't had it on my to-do list as of late, but will
>> add it, just for you. :eek:)

>>> Any of them. My all time favorite is the one over the Start button.
>>> [[Click here to begin]]. I wonder how many times people have to see
>>> that "tip" before committing it to memory. <LOL>
>>>
>>> I can change the duration and I have changed the text size. I've
>>> also changed the background color from that horrid looking tan or
>>> whatever it was
>>> to off white.
>>>
>>> I do kinda like the Date tip over the clock. For some reason I'm
>>> too lazy to turn my head and look at the calendar hanging on the
>>> wall. ;-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:DRZdd.36177$bk1.13414@fed1read05,
>>> Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> hunted and pecked:

But it *is* the silver lining in the cloud. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eGfaCe%23uEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes,
>
> Not here, but I know what you are speaking of. This isn't an offset
> of just the Start button, when this behavior does come into play,
> though. :eek:)

>> Howdy Kelly,
>>
>> This one >>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>> Explorer\Advanced
>> StartButtonBalloonTip
>> REG_DWORD
>> 0
>>
>> No, it doesn't work. But the upside is that half the time it's
>> hidden behind the taskbar. <LOL>
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:OdgwCSyuEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Wes,
>>>
>>> There is a claim to fix "Click here to begin" within XP, but it
>>> doesn't work. Haven't had it on my to-do list as of late, but will
>>> add it, just for you. :eek:)

kelly

Is that related per chance to the eclipse tonight? Had to watch the World
Series with one eye and step out of the door to view the sky with the other
eye. Thought, I needed to catch this one tonight as I wouldn't remember in
2007. Besides breaking an 86 year old record is easier to remember, I
think. :eek:)

--

> But it *is* the silver lining in the cloud. ;-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:eGfaCe%23uEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wes,
>>
>> Not here, but I know what you are speaking of. This isn't an offset
>> of just the Start button, when this behavior does come into play,
>> though. :eek:)

>>> Howdy Kelly,
>>>
>>> This one >>>
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
>>> Explorer\Advanced
>>> StartButtonBalloonTip
>>> REG_DWORD
>>> 0
>>>
>>> No, it doesn't work. But the upside is that half the time it's
>>> hidden behind the taskbar. <LOL>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:OdgwCSyuEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

I *just* knew that the moon had something to do with it. :cool:
Hey, if it can control the oceans...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OMi1N5KvEHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Is that related per chance to the eclipse tonight? Had to watch the
> World Series with one eye and step out of the door to view the sky
> with the other eye. Thought, I needed to catch this one tonight as I
> wouldn't remember in 2007. Besides breaking an 86 year old record is
> easier to remember, I think. :eek:)

>> But it *is* the silver lining in the cloud. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:eGfaCe%23uEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Wes,
>>>
>>> Not here, but I know what you are speaking of. This isn't an offset
>>> of just the Start button, when this behavior does come into play,
>>> though. :eek:)

kelly

I hear you! And to think my dissertation was on Crimes committed during the
lunar phases. <w>

--

>I *just* knew that the moon had something to do with it. :cool:
> Hey, if it can control the oceans...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:OMi1N5KvEHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Is that related per chance to the eclipse tonight? Had to watch the
>> World Series with one eye and step out of the door to view the sky
>> with the other eye. Thought, I needed to catch this one tonight as I
>> wouldn't remember in 2007. Besides breaking an 86 year old record is
>> easier to remember, I think. :eek:)

>>> But it *is* the silver lining in the cloud. ;-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:eGfaCe%23uEHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Why do they call it lunacy? ;-) Howwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllll.

[[intermittent insanity once believed to be related to phases of the moon]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:ODWhWoXwEHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> I hear you! And to think my dissertation was on Crimes committed
> during the lunar phases. <w>

>> I *just* knew that the moon had something to do with it. :cool:
>> Hey, if it can control the oceans...
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:OMi1N5KvEHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Is that related per chance to the eclipse tonight? Had to watch the
>>> World Series with one eye and step out of the door to view the sky
>>> with the other eye. Thought, I needed to catch this one tonight as
>>> I wouldn't remember in 2007. Besides breaking an 86 year old
>>> record is easier to remember, I think. :eek:)

kelly

I hear you, we have werewolves in our back yard, actually I have never heard
them howl, but then the property goes back for acres. Will pay better mind
for the next full moon. :eek:)

For the real life facts though, ask anyone you know that works in the
emergency room and/or Ambulatory (911) or Paramedics. However, even though
more "crimes" are committed during this phase, murders aren't among the
statistics. For better stats, check Dayton County (historic for the study).

As for your bracketed quote: Back in the day, PMS qualified as did users of
Halcion. That said, I am out of
here..........................................and really fast. <w>

--

> Why do they call it lunacy? ;-) Howwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllll.
>
> [[intermittent insanity once believed to be related to phases of the
> moon]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:ODWhWoXwEHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> I hear you! And to think my dissertation was on Crimes committed
>> during the lunar phases. <w>

>>> I *just* knew that the moon had something to do with it. :cool:
>>> Hey, if it can control the oceans...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:OMi1N5KvEHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There wolf. There castle.

From Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein

That's the first thing that I thought of. Remember: A mind is a terrible
thing! ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OhttdzkwEHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> I hear you, we have werewolves in our back yard, actually I have
> never heard them howl, but then the property goes back for acres.
> Will pay better mind for the next full moon. :eek:)
>
> For the real life facts though, ask anyone you know that works in the
> emergency room and/or Ambulatory (911) or Paramedics. However, even
> though more "crimes" are committed during this phase, murders aren't
> among the statistics. For better stats, check Dayton County
> (historic for the study).
>
> As for your bracketed quote: Back in the day, PMS qualified as did
> users of Halcion. That said, I am out of
> here..........................................and really fast. <w>

>> Why do they call it lunacy? ;-) Howwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllll.
>>
>> [[intermittent insanity once believed to be related to phases of the
>> moon]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:ODWhWoXwEHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> I hear you! And to think my dissertation was on Crimes committed
>>> during the lunar phases. <w>

kelly

Geez, am noted/coined as either Lily or Morticia. Sorry, but am out of this
picture and can't relate. <w>

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)