Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BF3 keeps crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 8:50:36 AM

Iv been playing BF3 for a few weeks now and i keep getting random crashing. It happens anytime during the game and because it freezes i have to do a ctrl,alt,delete and close it down through task manager. While I'm doing that i usually get a window that says "windows is searching for a problem" and then says something like battlefield 3 had to be closed down because there was a problem. How can i fix this? I remember one week this didn't happen at all for like 3-4 days but its just started again.
I'm running phenom ii X4, 8gb ram, gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and an asus hd 6950. When i first got this game i had this problem to the point where i cant play at all and posted here and the solution was to uninstall my graphics card driver and install a new one. Which helped a lot, but now this will happen at least 3 times a night and is super irritating and i want it solved completely. Can somebody plz help me with my problem?
Thanx

More about : bf3 crashing

a c 92 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 8:56:40 AM

reinstall the game.
Score
January 20, 2012 9:22:42 AM

esrever said:
reinstall the game.

Iv done it twice and it still doesn't help :( 
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 9:31:57 AM

At what settings are you playing the game?
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 10:29:03 AM

What are your GPU temps like while playing BF3?
Score
January 20, 2012 11:21:11 AM

After playing bf for about 35-40 minutes the asus smartdocter said it was 53c

edit: now its gone up to nearly 60
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 11:51:46 AM

Your rig shoul be able to play BF3 at Ultra without a problem.

So as esrever wrote, there might be game (software) problem, when you got both messages: "windows is searching for a problem" and then says something like battlefield 3 had to be closed down because there was a problem".

Unless you got a power supply problem, it does not seem to be a hardware problem.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 12:12:58 PM

Is your HD6950 a 1gb version. Ultra settings with only a 1gb GPU can and will cause issues in large servers. From my testing using GPU-Z at all high settings with 2xAA the game uses 980mb of video ram, so Ultra is quite impossible since stuttering will eventually take over and ultimately lead to a crash. If your on 32bit windows you may be running out of system ram as well. I've seen the game get up to 3.2gb of ram used in 64 player conquest servers. I included a tweak for this in my first post. Not really "my" tweak though. lol. Worked for me though when I was running 32bit Win7. I'm on 64bit now....

Honestly we require more info on your system and the programs you are running in the background to help further. What OS are you running, 32bit or 64bit. How much video ram do you have on your 6950? What other programs are open/running while you try to play?
Score
January 20, 2012 2:37:47 PM

I'm running phenom ii X4, 8gb ram, gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and an Asus HD6950 direct cu ii 2gb with a OZC modxstream pro 700w psu. Im using windows ultimate 64bit. When im playing i will usually just do some web browsing will im waiting to join a game, maybe about 3,4 tabs open at the same time. And when asus smartdocter opens automatically when i log into windows i just close it. Im not entirely sure what driver im using for my card, i just remember googling Battlefield 3 beta driver or something like that.

edit: Found it and its AMD catalyst 11.10
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 3:27:07 PM

You need Catalyst Software Suite 11.12 http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

Lear more about AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 11.12 http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystS...
a c 88 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 3:36:24 PM

Mine also crashes the same as yours , I have no stuttering and the game plays very well, but the game just randomly shuts down. It's a common problem for many users, on both ATI and Nvidia cards.
Hopefully better drivers will come out from EA for the game and address these issues.
Score
a c 124 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 3:49:17 PM

sincreator said:
Is your HD6950 a 1gb version. Ultra settings with only a 1gb GPU can and will cause issues in large servers. From my testing using GPU-Z at all high settings with 2xAA the game uses 980mb of video ram, so Ultra is quite impossible since stuttering will eventually take over and ultimately lead to a crash.

This is wrong. 1gb is fine and no, it will not "start stuttering" and eventually lead to a crash if the game wants to use more VRAM. Your system shares VRAM and system RAM resources, so it just swaps info on the fly as it's needed. This can cause occasional lag if you are far exceeding your VRAM, but if the game wanted to use, say, 1.5gb of VRAM, then 1gb is going to play just fine most of the time.

Anyway, OP, as stated the game does have issues, but if you are crashing very regularily I suggest you check your system RAM's stability. You can try running Prime95 blend tests or better yet let Memtest86+ run for a few passes. I'm not entirely sure if Intel Burn Test runs on AMD CPUs, it probably should since it's just a Linpack run, so you may want to try that with max memory usage. I think OCCT is also linpack, and if I recall correctly there's another one called LinX you could try for stress tests.

I'm also fairly sure Ultra isn't going to really run that well for you, considering I'm using significantly more GPU horsepower (pair of OCed 5850s) and average only a little over 60fps at Ultra, with 2xMSAA instead of 4x. Granted, if you're ok with lower fps then that's your business.

Also, is anything overclocked?
Score
January 21, 2012 4:48:55 AM

wolfram23 said:

Also, is anything overclocked?

Nothing in my system is oc, lol occasionally i would use smartdocter and put the engine up to 840 from 810 if that counts as overclocking but i dont do it anymore

jemm said:
You need Catalyst Software Suite 11.12 http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

Lear more about AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 11.12 http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystS...

Thanks man i will download it right away and ill post back to let u know how its holding up :D 
Score
January 21, 2012 7:34:38 AM

I just played a bf3 match for 1 30 minutes straight and i got no crashes! I wanna thank you gyz heaps for helping me im incredibly greatful thanx! :D 
Score
January 21, 2012 7:35:29 AM

Best answer selected by p000n-tang_be4r.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 7:39:30 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!