Help in the right direction

I am going to be building a new system soon and figured I would ask the pc community for an opinion. Well with that beiing said my intentions is to build a fast gamming pc with any extra benifits I can squeeze in while not hendering it's main purpose at all.So if you have any sugestions please let me know which of these builds is better or can be added to replaced with or taken away, and why if you don't mind, also if for example you sugest somthing like a real water loop cooling system for example please point me in a direction that I can get the knowledge to set it up properly.Thanx in advance.....BE GENTLE : )

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148840
$114.99

VisionTek 900491 Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814129204
$549.99

Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model KHX1866C9D3K4/8GX
Item #: N82E16820104294
-$1.00 Instant
$79.99
$78.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E1683211698
$99.99

Kingston HyperX KHX-FAN-B Fans
Item #: N82E16835116022
$23.28

CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835181016
-$5.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$99.99
$94.99

LITE-ON Black Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo SATA Model ihes112-04 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106374
$59.99

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III Asynchronous MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820226247
-$20.00 Instant
$99.99
$79.99

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Hybrid RS-850-SPHA-D3 850W Intel ATX 12V V2.3 & SSI EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS ...
Item #: N82E16817171061

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119225

-$20.00 Instant
-$37.00 Combo
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

$399.98
$342.98

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
Item #: N82E16819115229

ASRock X79 Extreme4 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157282

-$20.00 Instant
-$20.00 Combo

$554.98
$514.98
Subtotal: $1,960.17
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------vs----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Model #:RC-942-KKN1
Item #:N82E16811119225
Mail in Rebate
$199.99 -$20.00 Instant $179.99

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and ...
Model #:Crosshair V Formula
Item #:N82E16813131735
$239.99 -$20.00 Instant $219.99

VisionTek 900492 Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Model #:900492
Item #:N82E16814129205
$469.99 -$20.00 Instant $449.99

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular ...
Model #:CMPSU-850AX
Item #:N82E16817139015
Mail in Rebate Card
$199.99 -$10.00 Instant $189.99

AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6200FRGUBOX
Model #:FD6200FRGUBOX
Item #:N82E16819106010
$169.99 $169.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-8GBXL
Model #:F3-12800CL9Q-8GBXL
Item #:N82E16820231493
$58.99 $58.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:ST1000DM003
Item #:N82E16822148840
$114.99 $114.99

ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
Model #:VS247H-P
Item #:N82E16824236174
$219.99 -$30.00 Instant $189.99

SAMSUNG SCX Series SCX-4623F MFC / All-In-One Up to 23 ppm Monochrome Laser Printer
Model #:SCX-4623F
Item #:N82E16828112186
$199.99 -$70.00 Instant $129.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Model #:GFC-02050
Item #:N82E16832116986
$99.99 $99.99

Kingston HyperX KHX-FAN-B Fans
Model #:KHX-FAN-B
Item #:N82E16835116022
$23.28 $23.28

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Model #:CWCH100
Item #:N82E16835181017

Mail in Rebate Card
$114.99 $114.99
Subtotal: $1,942.17
15 answers Last reply
More about help direction
  1. The first build is leaps and bounds better than the second - I'll go with any X79 build before I go with any AMD build any day of the week.

    There's a couple of tweaks I'd make though:

    1. Switch out your PSU with this - Cooler Master is really dishonest in its' PSU practices from what I hear (fake labels and certifications, things like that) - this would be a far better choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

    2. Drop the liquid cooler and go for a strong fan like the Noctua D14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

    Other than that the first build looks really good.
  2. Thanks i'll keep that in mind. I hear lots of good things about Noctua's quality and intel's cpudominance over amd's cpu but to give amd a lil push by adding a lot of extras. But you say it still wont make up for the loss in quality/performance? I chose a liquid cooler more so to not deal with cleaning a dusty heat sync than anything else. Figured the worst it can be is on par with most fan coolers. Oh and what do you think about
    CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015
  3. kchussle said:
    Thanks i'll keep that in mind. I hear lots of good things about Noctua's quality and intel's cpudominance over amd's cpu but to give amd a lil push by adding a lot of extras. But you say it still wont make up for the loss in quality/performance? I chose a liquid cooler more so to not deal with cleaning a dusty heat sync than anything else. Figured the worst it can be is on par with most fan coolers. Oh and what do you think about
    CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015



    That PSU will work just as well. I would 2nd the Noctua d14. While the h80 looks nice, the Noctua will more then likely outperform the h80. I personally do not trust the closed loop water cooling systems. If you REALLY want water cooling, then go with a Custom Loop. Personally I like the low maintenance of air cooling.
  4. One other change I would make is to change to 1600 or 1333 MHz ram. You can overclock it yourself later, and it makes no other difference (besides price.) I would suggest.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104290
  5. OH yes that's another thing that plagues me whats better 4x2 or 2x4 whats the ups downs if any. I know its of topic but cant think of a better place to get a answer. and I will be swapping that out makes since. Outside of bad ram or something unusual the ram you suggest should have no issue clocked higher? I don't have to worry if my mb said it supports quad channel ram? Pluss the red looks way cooler.
  6. Since you are using a 2011 chipset, go with quad channel 4x2 ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226286
  7. is over clocking ram something a novice can do. I can build um but never oced. This will be like my third build and I did plan on oc'ing. I'm hearing its dummied down a lot now for peeps like me.
  8. Noctua colors are...well I wont say ugly because they are not. But I will say if you care at all about color coordination...well they are ugly lol. Wow I guess if you are one of the best, the best advertisment is to stand out in any situation. I hate the color but love the reviews. I'm seeing people say its better than or as good as the H100 WOW. Some badass fans.
  9. Wait for the 680 to get back in stock and buy it. A lot better than the 7970.

    Here:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851342-REG/PNY_Technologies_VCGGTX680XPB_Geforce_Gtx_680_Graphics.html
  10. It's easy to OC. Go into BIOS and change the multiplier from let's say 40(don't know what the default is) to 50. But, always do in increments of one, then test to see if it's stable.
  11. obsama1 said:
    Wait for the 680 to get back in stock and buy it. A lot better than the 7970.

    Here:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851342-REG/PNY_Technologies_VCGGTX680XPB_Geforce_Gtx_680_Graphics.html


    It's certainly debatable - the 7970 has it's strengths and the 680 has it's strengths, you can't go wrong with either one.

    Quote:
    Noctua colors are...well I wont say ugly because they are not. But I will say if you care at all about color coordination...well they are ugly lol. Wow I guess if you are one of the best, the best advertisment is to stand out in any situation. I hate the color but love the reviews. I'm seeing people say its better than or as good as the H100 WOW. Some badass fans.


    Yeah the Noctuas are quite nice - any dual heat sink 1 x 120, 1 x 140mm fan will yield results equivalent to what an H100 will bring and it's far safer at that. Sure the heat sinks can be an eye sore, but it's a lot better than having your $500+ GPU ruined by a leaky water pipe, right?
  12. obsama1 said:
    Wait for the 680 to get back in stock and buy it. A lot better than the 7970.

    Here:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851342-REG/PNY_Technologies_VCGGTX680XPB_Geforce_Gtx_680_Graphics.html


    A lot better how? I hope it's not just because it has a Nvidia sticker on it
  13. g-unit1111 said:
    It's certainly debatable - the 7970 has it's strengths and the 680 has it's strengths, you can't go wrong with either one.

    Quote:
    Noctua colors are...well I wont say ugly because they are not. But I will say if you care at all about color coordination...well they are ugly lol. Wow I guess if you are one of the best, the best advertisment is to stand out in any situation. I hate the color but love the reviews. I'm seeing people say its better than or as good as the H100 WOW. Some badass fans.


    Yeah the Noctuas are quite nice - any dual heat sink 1 x 120, 1 x 140mm fan will yield results equivalent to what an H100 will bring and it's far safer at that. Sure the heat sinks can be an eye sore, but it's a lot better than having your $500+ GPU ruined by a leaky water pipe, right?


    Yeah that's scary. I'll probably change it. Is leakage common with the corsair H series? I have not seen any reviews say that.

    I guess My next question is whats the best heat sink thats not brown and tan?
  14. obsama1 said:
    It's easy to OC. Go into BIOS and change the multiplier from let's say 40(don't know what the default is) to 50. But, always do in increments of one, then test to see if it's stable.


    What's the best way to get stability results? Game as usual? a certain software?
  15. This is the build I went with. The Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 is not in stock where I shop so I went with the H100. I did some research and I did find a few cases where it leaked but on the bright side of that I did not see in any issues where corsair did not pay for the damage and replace the H100.
    Worst case cenario I found was a "still pending" shortly after the issue was reported. I also went with a lower rated and not fully modular psu to help sqeezein the extra's "monitor,sound and card speakers. What hurt me the most was going with the 7950 over the 7970. There were also no 680's in stock.Not sure I would have taken that route any way but by not having any made that choice easy. Well thanks to everyone who responded it was greatly appreciated..SO excited it'll all be here in two more days.

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

    VisionTek 900492 Radeon HD 7950

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

    Acer S231HLbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI LED-Backlight LCD monitor Slim Design

    CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

    Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

    Creative Inspire T6160 50 Watts 5.1 Speakers

    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower

    Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

    LITE-ON Black Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo SATA Model ihes112-04

    ASRock X79 Extreme4 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular

    Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011

    Thanx for the input
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product