Sign in with
Your question

Bad Sector Question

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 24, 2001 3:37:44 AM

My IBM HD has 1 Bad sector...I can fix it by doing a low levl format. It's just I want to wait to the weekend to fix it, so I can backup everything then when I am free. Is there anything dangerous about using the HD with its bad sector. Can it spread...should I fix it ASAP...Thank you.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

More about : bad sector question

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 24, 2001 8:54:36 AM

Bad sectors dont tend to spread, the problem comes when windows tries to write data to it, you get blue screen errors, Do a scandisk and windows will detect the sector and flag it so it cannot write to it anymore, then you dont have to worry about it anymore
April 24, 2001 7:41:17 PM

Low Level format will not permanently "fix" it I think. Its better to have Scandisk or NDD or whatever utility you may have to mark the sector as Bad and forget it. Its not contagious as far as I know.

Manish
http://manishmalik.cjb.net - just another 1-page site.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 24, 2001 10:09:15 PM

I was using IBM disk product for my HD...It said it detected a Bad sector..and a low level format would fix it....Scandisk I do not know if it marks it..when it trys to fix it though (like I leave on autofix) it freezes and makes screetchy sounds at that cluster....AS long as it doesnt spread...I'll try using fixing utility tonight.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com
April 25, 2001 4:25:57 AM

From my experience, when a HD starts to have bad sectors, it is time to buy a new one. If it still guaranteed, the manufacturer will replace it, I done this before. Or maybe you'll be lucky and have no more.

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 25, 2001 5:50:56 PM

Whether or not the sector will spread depends on what caused it. If it is a defect in the coating on the disk, it probably won't spread. If it is caused by your rotor bearings coming loose then the cause remains and you'll probably get the same effect in a different sector. Presumably you didn't have this before, so the cause might still be around.

Keep regular backups until significant time passes (~2 months?) and you're sure it hasn't gotten worse. It might be something like a bad power-on cycle, or a voltage spike not handled well by the power supply-- who knows.

Hey, shouldn't you (we) be keeping regular backups anyway? Sure, we do.....

--dv

<font color=purple><b><i>--Insert witty saying or aphorism here--</i></b></font color=purple>
April 25, 2001 7:48:10 PM

Funny thing is that when you buy the hard drive brand new it could have bad sectors on it. Hard drive mfg.'s even have a place at the end of the drive for bad sectors. Bad sectors is almost always data corruption caused from bus noise and other problems that I am not going to get into in this forum. If it is a problem with the drive alomost every mfg. of hard drives provides a diag utility to see if there is a problem with the drive ......

Just thought I would give my thoughts on the topic ... *:o )

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>
April 26, 2001 9:56:42 PM

There’s no such thing as perfect uniform magnetic surface on a harddrive platter. That’s why during factory low level format the manufacturer mapped the surface for reliable write/read on “good” surface only, avoiding inborn bad sectors. But sometimes something happens (overheating, mechanical damage) and some sectors become bad. Or during improper low level format the harddrive gets wrong mapping.
!