CD/DVD Drive Problem

Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives, the
information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was no
disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST", the
drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.

Optical Drives:
16x DVD
52x LG CDRW
8x NEC 2500A DVDRW

If this helps:
AMD Athlon 2500+
Asus A7V8X-X
512MB PC2700
120Gig Hard drive.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about drive problem

    Old and common issue/bug within XP. Suggestions:

    Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
    Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

    Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
    Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
    in Windows Explorer.

    To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:

    Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
    the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
    Explorer.

    Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939

    How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641

    You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
    with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455

    CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Cyclops" <Cyclops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
    > everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives,
    > the
    > information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was
    > no
    > disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST",
    > the
    > drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
    > always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.
    >
    > Optical Drives:
    > 16x DVD
    > 52x LG CDRW
    > 8x NEC 2500A DVDRW
    >
    > If this helps:
    > AMD Athlon 2500+
    > Asus A7V8X-X
    > 512MB PC2700
    > 120Gig Hard drive.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for you help Kelly but I still have a problem relating to this issue.
    I still have the problem with the name of the disc not changing every time a
    new disc is placed into the drive. I have the service pack 1 installed on my
    computer but I'm tentitive about upgrading to service pack 2.

    Simon

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Old and common issue/bug within XP. Suggestions:
    >
    > Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
    > Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.
    >
    > Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
    > Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
    > in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
    >
    > Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
    > the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
    > Explorer.
    >
    > Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
    >
    > You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
    > with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455
    >
    > CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "Cyclops" <Cyclops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
    > > everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives,
    > > the
    > > information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was
    > > no
    > > disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST",
    > > the
    > > drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
    > > always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.
    > >
    > > Optical Drives:
    > > 16x DVD
    > > 52x LG CDRW
    > > 8x NEC 2500A DVDRW
    > >
    > > If this helps:
    > > AMD Athlon 2500+
    > > Asus A7V8X-X
    > > 512MB PC2700
    > > 120Gig Hard drive.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    In Addition, my other DVD Drive doesnt seem to read some DVDs I have but my
    other one reads it fine.

    "Cyclops" wrote:

    > In Addition, my other DVD Drive doesnt seem to read some DVDs I have but my
    > other one reads it fine.
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    > > Old and common issue/bug within XP. Suggestions:
    > >
    > > Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
    > > Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.
    > >
    > > Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
    > > Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
    > > in Windows Explorer.
    > >
    > > To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
    > >
    > > Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
    > > the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
    > > Explorer.
    > >
    > > Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939
    > >
    > > How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
    > >
    > > You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
    > > with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455
    > >
    > > CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691
    > >
    > > --
    > > All the Best,
    > > Kelly
    > >
    > > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    > > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    > >
    > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > >
    > > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    > >

    > > "Cyclops" <Cyclops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
    > > > everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives,
    > > > the
    > > > information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was
    > > > no
    > > > disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST",
    > > > the
    > > > drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
    > > > always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.
    > > >
    > > > Optical Drives:
    > > > 16x DVD
    > > > 52x LG CDRW
    > > > 8x NEC 2500A DVDRW
    > > >
    > > > If this helps:
    > > > AMD Athlon 2500+
    > > > Asus A7V8X-X
    > > > 512MB PC2700
    > > > 120Gig Hard drive.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > >

    > > I am having the exact same problem here as cyclops and would like to resolve it. I have gone as far as deleting the secondary IDE channel and re-installing, swapping out drives, changing cables and pretty well everything else I can think of. Any resolution would be appreciated.

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:43:07 -0800, "shamu"
    <shamu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> > I am having the exact same problem here as cyclops and would like to resolve it. I have gone as far as deleting the secondary IDE channel and re-installing, swapping out drives, changing cables and pretty well everything else I can think of. Any resolution would be appreciated.

    Forget all that.... My experience with having boaught 6 (different
    brands) DVD burners has taught me that all DVD drives/burners are not
    alike.
    Different burners use different ways of writing discs (most commonly
    the "book type" settings contained in the burn).

    Just a simple fact that some burners/readers will not read discs burnt
    on other brands. Example: My NEC DVD burner will not read discs
    burned with my Lite-On, although the Lite-On will read discs burned
    with the NEC.
    Both produce good burns...... but although my NEC is a superior
    writer, the Lite-On is capable of reading more discs from other
    makers.

    Best bet is to keep your firmware updated on your burner, and to
    completely avoid reading probs...... stick with one brand if you want
    multiple drives. It's not all about price....... namebrands can be
    found just as cheap as the "no-name" brands over the internet.
    Might I suggest: www.pricewatch.com ?

    §kullywag©-

Configuration DVD Drives Windows XP