CD/DVD Drive Problem

October 18, 2004 7:33:02 PM

Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives, the
information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was no
disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST", the
drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.

Optical Drives:
16x DVD
52x LG CDRW
8x NEC 2500A DVDRW

If this helps:
AMD Athlon 2500+
Asus A7V8X-X
512MB PC2700
120Gig Hard drive.

Thanks.

More about : dvd drive problem

October 19, 2004 5:15:07 AM

Old and common issue/bug within XP. Suggestions:

Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
in Windows Explorer.

To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:

Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
Explorer.

Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641

You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455

CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Cyclops" <Cyclops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 4122DDE-0A89-4DF6-9041-24281D846746@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
> everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives,
> the
> information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was
> no
> disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST",
> the
> drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
> always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.
>
> Optical Drives:
> 16x DVD
> 52x LG CDRW
> 8x NEC 2500A DVDRW
>
> If this helps:
> AMD Athlon 2500+
> Asus A7V8X-X
> 512MB PC2700
> 120Gig Hard drive.
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:19:08 PM

Thanks for you help Kelly but I still have a problem relating to this issue.
I still have the problem with the name of the disc not changing every time a
new disc is placed into the drive. I have the service pack 1 installed on my
computer but I'm tentitive about upgrading to service pack 2.

Simon

"Kelly" wrote:

> Old and common issue/bug within XP. Suggestions:
>
> Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
> Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.
>
> Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
> Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
> in Windows Explorer.
>
> To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
>
> Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
> the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
> Explorer.
>
> Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939
>
> How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
>
> You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
> with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455
>
> CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "Cyclops" <Cyclops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4122DDE-0A89-4DF6-9041-24281D846746@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
> > everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives,
> > the
> > information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was
> > no
> > disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST",
> > the
> > drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
> > always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.
> >
> > Optical Drives:
> > 16x DVD
> > 52x LG CDRW
> > 8x NEC 2500A DVDRW
> >
> > If this helps:
> > AMD Athlon 2500+
> > Asus A7V8X-X
> > 512MB PC2700
> > 120Gig Hard drive.
> >
> > Thanks.

October 20, 2004 6:21:02 PM

In Addition, my other DVD Drive doesnt seem to read some DVDs I have but my
other one reads it fine.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Old and common issue/bug within XP. Suggestions:
>
> Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
> Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.
>
> Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
> Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
> in Windows Explorer.
>
> To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
>
> Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
> the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
> Explorer.
>
> Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939
>
> How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
>
> You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
> with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455
>
> CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "Cyclops" <Cyclops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4122DDE-0A89-4DF6-9041-24281D846746@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I've been having this problem with my computer for a while where
> > everytime I take out a disc or put in a new disc into my optical drives,
> > the
> > information is still showing up as my old one. For Example, if there was
> > no
> > disc in the drive and I put in a data disc that has a title name "TEST",
> > the
> > drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
> > always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.
> >
> > Optical Drives:
> > 16x DVD
> > 52x LG CDRW
> > 8x NEC 2500A DVDRW
> >
> > If this helps:
> > AMD Athlon 2500+
> > Asus A7V8X-X
> > 512MB PC2700
> > 120Gig Hard drive.
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:43:07 AM

"Cyclops" wrote:

> [...]
> > > the
> > > drive icon will not change to show that "TEST" is in the drive, it will
> > > always remain as what it was when I booted up my computer.
> > >
> > > Optical Drives:
> > > 16x DVD
> > > 52x LG CDRW
> > > 8x NEC 2500A DVDRW
> > >
> > > If this helps:
> > > AMD Athlon 2500+
> > > Asus A7V8X-X
> > > 512MB PC2700
> > > 120Gig Hard drive.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >

> > I am having the exact same problem here as cyclops and would like to resolve it. I have gone as far as deleting the secondary IDE channel and re-installing, swapping out drives, changing cables and pretty well everything else I can think of. Any resolution would be appreciated.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:52:25 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:43:07 -0800, "shamu"
<shamu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> > I am having the exact same problem here as cyclops and would like to resolve it. I have gone as far as deleting the secondary IDE channel and re-installing, swapping out drives, changing cables and pretty well everything else I can think of. Any resolution would be appreciated.

Forget all that.... My experience with having boaught 6 (different
brands) DVD burners has taught me that all DVD drives/burners are not
alike.
Different burners use different ways of writing discs (most commonly
the "book type" settings contained in the burn).

Just a simple fact that some burners/readers will not read discs burnt
on other brands. Example: My NEC DVD burner will not read discs
burned with my Lite-On, although the Lite-On will read discs burned
with the NEC.
Both produce good burns...... but although my NEC is a superior
writer, the Lite-On is capable of reading more discs from other
makers.

Best bet is to keep your firmware updated on your burner, and to
completely avoid reading probs...... stick with one brand if you want
multiple drives. It's not all about price....... namebrands can be
found just as cheap as the "no-name" brands over the internet.
Might I suggest: www.pricewatch.com ?

§kullywag©-
!