Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Digital camera lens cleaning ...

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi,

This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
a digital camera lens?

What should I use?

TIA.

--
Rob Keel.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:19:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 8f6e8$jgq$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> Hi,
>
> This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
> a digital camera lens?
>
> What should I use?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> Rob Keel.

IMHO there are several ways. One is to use lens cleaning tissue and lens
cleaning solution. Another is to use the new microfiber cloths. A Nikon or
similar lens pen seems to work on stubborn spots. Me, I tend to cover my
lenses with filters and use my breath and the tail of my cotton shirt. to
clean the filter. If the filter gets screwed up I just replace it. Also, I
never use lens caps. Filters and lens shades make the camera ready to use
at any time and offer quite a bit of protection.

I think everybody has their own favorite method. BTW, if we're just talking
dust here, use a lens brush or a blower.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:19:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

If it's just dust, stick with those blower-air cans. In fact, stick
with just those cans as long as possible.

No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW
Related resources
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:13:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Rob Keel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
> a digital camera lens?
>
> What should I use?
>
> TIA.
>
Hi,
Same as film camera unless you meant CCD sensor?
Tony
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:09:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <d8f6e8$jgq$1@news.freedom2surf.net>,
"Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
> a digital camera lens?
>
> What should I use?

Same way as any lens. Use lens cleaning tissue which you can buy at any
photography store for a few dollars, and even many drug stores for
cleaning glasses.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:19:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Rob Keel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to
> clean a digital camera lens?
>
> What should I use?
>
> TIA.

Excellent .... Thanks for the replies/advice everyone. Much appreciated.

--
Rob Keel.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:13:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 8f6e8$jgq$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> Hi,
>
> This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
> a digital camera lens?
>
> What should I use?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> Rob Keel.

Use a blower for light dust. For most anything else, I like the LensPen.

Mark
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:22:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:19:35 +0000 (UTC), "Rob Keel"
<robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent .... Thanks for the replies/advice everyone. Much appreciated.

But they didn't give you the whole story. The correct answer
depends on whether you have a P&S or a DSLR. According to Doc.
#27362 in Sigma's Knowledgebase, their lenses are made removable for
a good reason. If a DSLR's lens becomes so dirty as to degrade the
images it produces, it's time for it to be replaced. Sigma
thoughtfully made this a simple task for the end user so there's no
need for any but the rankest novice to have to send the camera and
lenses back to Sigma to swap them. The only advantage to letting
them do it for you is that they will also clean the sensor at no
extra charge. Other lens manufacturers may not necessarily have the
same policy so it's best to check with them first.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:22:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <unisa1dtq1dlf0qaasglv4edan9koj78iq@4ax.com>, ASAAR
<caught@22.com> wrote:

> But they didn't give you the whole story. The correct answer
> depends on whether you have a P&S or a DSLR. According to Doc.
> #27362 in Sigma's Knowledgebase, their lenses are made removable for
> a good reason. If a DSLR's lens becomes so dirty as to degrade the
> images it produces, it's time for it to be replaced. Sigma
> thoughtfully made this a simple task for the end user so there's no
> need for any but the rankest novice to have to send the camera and
> lenses back to Sigma to swap them. The only advantage to letting
> them do it for you is that they will also clean the sensor at no
> extra charge. Other lens manufacturers may not necessarily have the
> same policy so it's best to check with them first.

On the down side, if you send your camera/lens to Sigma...they'll send
it back.
June 14, 2005 4:53:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Little bit off subject but I read someone saying that for the LCD
screen that scotch tape applied and pulled off is a good way to clean
or are the above methods ok for the screen too?

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:57:25 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

> On the down side, if you send your camera/lens to Sigma...they'll
> send it back.

That's understood, but Sigma plays fair. They'll swap lenses at
no charge even if mounted on Canon, Nikon or Kodak bodies.

What's really got me excited though is one of the major film
manufacturers (I haven't discovered if it's Fuji or Kodak) has inked
a deal with K-Mart to produce a new quality line of disposable,
digital cameras bearing the Martha Stewart logo, and it will be
available in several "cheery" colors and designs. Martha would
never associate her name with the fairly low quality that has so far
been the hallmark of disposable cameras. They've solve that problem
by eliminating the weak link - the inferior plastic lens. This new
"ChicPix" line won't include a lens at all. Instead it will be
offered with a choice of lens mounts, allowing Canon and (initially)
Pentax lenses to be used. When you're finished taking pictures, all
that you need to do is remove your lens and return the reusable body
for processing. Word is that Nikon is furiously trying to catch up,
and may have just signed a deal with Sigma that will allow its
lenses to be used with the new SD-99 disposable camera. It will
utilize a special high resolution sensor, and will initially only be
available from Wal-Mart, Tiger Direct and Abe's of Maine.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:07:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <0btsa1ddukqqt7n6fufpdd9ar6p8ugaj34@4ax.com>, ASAAR
<caught@22.com> wrote:

> > On the down side, if you send your camera/lens to Sigma...they'll
> > send it back.
>
> That's understood, but Sigma plays fair. They'll swap lenses at
> no charge even if mounted on Canon, Nikon or Kodak bodies.

What I meant was that, even after Sigma works on it, you'll still be
stuck with using it.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:07:03 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

> What I meant was that, even after Sigma works on it, you'll still be
> stuck with using it.

Oh, I know that. But isn't your main complaint against Sigma
related to their Foveon tainted bodies? Some of their lenses are
keepers, especially if value is a factor.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:26:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Many, many years ago, a test showed that even Kodak lens cleaning
tissue (which everyone trusted) with fluid would actually abrade the
lens coating (had to be seen under magnification, but you could clearly
see it in the example photos!). Use microfiber cloth and use fluid if
you have to. The microfiber would clean off smudges, greasy
fingerprings and dust with no visible (under magnification) abrasion to
the coatings. Forget the pens...they aren't much different than using
lens cleaning tissue. And never use eyeglass tissues or cotton
T-shirts!

--Wilt
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:02:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

This is priceless!!!
Dennis D. Carter

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
news:140620050507037182%rag@nospam.techline.com...
> In article <0btsa1ddukqqt7n6fufpdd9ar6p8ugaj34@4ax.com>, ASAAR
> <caught@22.com> wrote:
>
>> > On the down side, if you send your camera/lens to Sigma...they'll
>> > send it back.
>>
>> That's understood, but Sigma plays fair. They'll swap lenses at
>> no charge even if mounted on Canon, Nikon or Kodak bodies.
>
> What I meant was that, even after Sigma works on it, you'll still be
> stuck with using it.
!