• Core
  • Games
  • Processors
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
July 10, 2012 12:37:49 AM

Hello,

I recently built a computer getting ready for Guild Wars 2. I was still playing low end games (Warcraft III) and I haven't played Maplestory/Dragon's Nest for a while and decided to play again. I ran Dragon's Nest and I was getting random spikes. I thought it was my graphics card at first and ran CPUID CPU-Z and played games. The core speed for the graphics card did not go down. But something expected happened, the core speed for my processor went up to as high as 2.8GHz and down to as low as 800 MHz. The idle core speed is 1.5GHz. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunny Li

More about : intel 2500k ghz processor receiving low core speeds

July 10, 2012 12:55:34 AM

Maybe go into your motherboard bios and check and see what the core speed is in there. Raise back to defaults if it's set on 1.5 GHZ. If that doesn't work maybe see if your motherboard needs a bios update. If all of that fells then I don't know what to tell you...
Score
July 10, 2012 1:21:50 AM

My BIOs is already up to date. I just checked my BIOs again and realized that it's at 2400 GHz. I don't know why. I checked whatever settings to try to change the core speed but I can't find it. My motherboard is ECS H67H2-M Black Series. It also comes with an integrated clock chip which has not been enabled. But I have no idea how to use it.

Score
Related resources
July 10, 2012 2:14:35 AM

I've also tried turning off SpeedStep and no improvements. I'm still receiving random drops when turning on games. But the core speed changed to 3200 on BIOs settings.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 9:58:16 AM

shotthebunny said:
Hello,

I recently built a computer getting ready for Guild Wars 2. I was still playing low end games (Warcraft III) and I haven't played Maplestory/Dragon's Nest for a while and decided to play again. I ran Dragon's Nest and I was getting random spikes. I thought it was my graphics card at first and ran CPUID CPU-Z and played games. The core speed for the graphics card did not go down. But something expected happened, the core speed for my processor went up to as high as 2.8GHz and down to as low as 800 MHz. The idle core speed is 1.5GHz. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunny Li

I too recently put together a build... i5 2400...that idle CLOCK of 1.5 is okay....low of 800 is strange. Download IPDT (Intel processor diagnostics tool from the intel website). This tool will check whether your cpu is performing okay and will run load tests to determine the clocks and the max and min temps. Its reliable...

Another thing, try Hardware Monitor to see if it reports the same data as CPU-Z
Score
July 10, 2012 11:38:40 AM

I used Core Temp and I can't believe the numbers. After just turning on my computer, the processor shoots up to 80C at idle and 95C with games. What should I do? Buying thermal paste/new heatsink fan?
Score

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 2:34:43 PM

shotthebunny said:
Here's a shot of CPU-Z and Core Temp in idle.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/dasfsdfsd.png/

And here's a shot of CPU-Z and Core Temp when I just turn on Guild Wars 2 launcher

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/fagfdgfdg.png/

yes those temps are high...anything under 75 C is good and the threshhold for sandy bridges is about 103 C...There could be multiple reasons for this here...

1. touch the plate on the cabinet on which your mother board is mounted. If its hot to the touch then there is definitely something wrong. If it feels as warm as say the hard disk metal cover then maybe your temp sensors are off (but all this is quiet unlikely)

2. The heat sink comes with a high quality thermal compound (pre applied)...if you've wiped it off then there may be a problem. If you've applied too much of an aftermarket compound then that can cause problem too. a pea sized amount is good enough

3. The pressure of the heatsink on the processor may not be enough. Did the white legs of the sink "CLICK" into the mobo?
July 10, 2012 6:56:43 PM

When I touched the plate, it's warm so it's not the motherboard's problem.

I just touched the heat sink fan and it seemed to not be mounted. It probably have gotten loose when I attached my motherboard to the computer. But it has been a while so I'm not sure of the thermal paste on the heat sink fan is usable anymore.

I'm gonna go out to buy some thermal paste and replace it. Should I buy a new heat sink fan or is the one that came with the processor good enough?
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 7:01:55 PM

shotthebunny said:
When I touched the plate, it's warm so it's not the motherboard's problem.

I just touched the heat sink fan and it seemed to not be mounted. It probably have gotten loose when I attached my motherboard to the computer. But it has been a while so I'm not sure of the thermal paste on the heat sink fan is usable anymore.

I'm gonna go out to buy some thermal paste and replace it. Should I buy a new heat sink fan or is the one that came with the processor good enough?

The stock heat sink is good enough if you do not plan on oc'ing it. get arctic silver thermal compound....
good luck
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 7:10:20 PM

and do go through the sink installation instructions a couple more times....always helps
Score
July 11, 2012 12:13:58 AM

Best answer selected by Shotthebunny.
Score
July 11, 2012 12:14:02 AM

I've finally fixed it. Thanks for all the help everyone. I couldn't find Arctic Silver anywhere outside, so I used some made in China stuff I found in a random computer store. Works out fine, hopefully it'll last. The core temp is 47 ish in idle and 70 ish when gaming. I'm getting 100+ FPS in League of Legends and all my other games.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 4:17:17 AM

thanks...and happy gaming :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 9:36:19 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!