Rather new, looking for opinions on this..

Deke866

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
So, as mentioned ^ up there, I'm pretty new in the way of ordering parts and building my own pc. Short and sweet, my budget was supposed to be 600, but it's now 700 ( give or take 20 bucks or so ). Here's what I put together http://amzn.com/w/1NCKN695YEO1J
I want this to be decent/good/great for gaming. Looking for information about flaws/strengths in what I have, and suggestions perhaps, thanks

g-unit1111

Titan
It's a good start but I wouldn't recommend H61 on any build because the reduced functionality and limited expansion will be incredibly frustrating in the long run. Not to mention most Z68 motherboards don't have a dedicated X16 lane which would make any high end video cards you plan to use later on moot.

Here's a >=$700 build that I typically recommend:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair CX600 V2 - $69.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $121.99
CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-2400 - $189.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
HD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue - $84.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - $149.99 ($15.00 MIR)

Total: $741.92 - $45.00 MIR = $696.92

With this build - you get more RAM, a better PSU, a true Z68 motherboard with upgrade ability to Ivy Bridge and PCI Gen 3 video cards, and you also get the awesome budget-minded Core i5-2400.

Deke866

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I reposted with a more straightforward title, guess that wasnt necessary. Thanks for the reply first of all. I had the 6870, how far behind is the 6850? I'm looking to play BF3/Guild Wars 2 when it launches, not that Guild Wars is very demanding..

g-unit1111

Titan

They're about the same card performance wise. A 6870 will not that make that much of a dent in your budget if you want to get one, otherwise I'd say if you could get a 7850 that would be ideal.

obsama1

Distinguished

Deke866

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Okay, then the build posted above is moot, I cant do 800$. I know my build I linked isnt outstanding, but it included an OS..I was looking to improve here and there and remain the same price or go down, not go up 100$
As in "Oh this shouldn't be like this, get a cheaper version thats almost exactly the same and get a better one of these"

g-unit1111

Titan

If you have to drop the motherboard to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121508

And the CPU to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077

And the difference should be enough to get a Windows license - I still don't recommend H61 on any build right now.

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Or you could just bid on this and maybe win it for less than $600 with i5 2500k and z68 gen3 mobo and 8g 1600mhz ram with a 550ti. You could get another 550ti and sli the two and have even better graphics than you had planned as well as having a fully current and future proof kick but system. I happen to know that his reserve price is $575 and any bid that or above takes it. There is nothing wrong with it and it includes win7 home prem. He just has to sell it. It is brand new with Gen3 pci.e slots.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220983401922?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It is perfectly future proof with the option of sli or crossfire and sata6gb capability and usb 3.0 and the option of up to 32gb ram and you could even upgrade to ivy bridge later if you want to.....

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

If it has to be $700 or less, why isn't $575 cheap enough to get twice the pc you can even build with $700? I am sure that the bidding wont go much higher than that..... :??:

You dont have to do allot of bidding, just wait till the last 1\2 hour of the auction and bid then if still low enough. That is provided you have set up an ebay account

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah but then you're stuck with a 550TI and a PSU that has no extra information available it, that I would really question.

obsama1

Distinguished
Windows 7 is overpriced, IMO. It's the same price as the i3. I think Windows 7 should cost a max of $50. Microsoft is rolling in cash. Besides, you only get 1 install for $100! For $100 bucks, I should get 50 installs, LOL.

/rant

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Ok I just thought I would inform O.P. of the deal. I did mention in my first post that I happen to know that the reserve price is $575.

I know because I know the guy from computer science class, and I let him build my pc.
The 550ti is a good gpu and maxes out bf3 with ultimate settings on at 1600x900 res. only occasional bumps down to about 40 fps. Also I suggested sli with another which would be close to a gtx570 in equivelent and would only cost another hundred or so and still be under his $700 limit.

I havent asked Ebayer but I recognise the psu as a raidmax and since he said it is a 630w I am sure it is a RX 630SS which I am sure of because we had to disect that model in comp. science class. The school picked that model because of the price being better and our teacher said,(to everyones surprise) that it was going to put to rest a lot of preconceived notions. Most of the class was dissapointed to find that we had a raidmax to work with, but wether because of the brand getting better or because of the model being an exception, we found out it was a great psu. Out of 33 psu's not 1 of them was doa, and on each of them the rails measured acceptable voltage with minimal fluctuation even under prime 95 stress testing left running on a system with o.c.'d sli 550ti's and an i5 2500k clocked @ 4.43g left running overnight for a 24 hour period and monitoring the voltage on each rail showed very little fluctuation. They turned out to be great little psu's for the price. Probably why he chose it for this build.

Either way, if you can get that pc for $600 or less with win7 installed It is a great deal no matter what psu it is. If you were really opposed to the psu they are easy to change and you can sell the one you take out on ebay or craigs list.

You could do the same with the gpu if you want. My point is that the O.P. was trying to put together a h61 and a lesser processor and probably a lesser almost everything and still coming out over $700 without even having an os.

Just trying to give him a link to a great deal..... :love:

g-unit1111

Titan
The 550ti is a good gpu and maxes out bf3 with ultimate settings on at 1600x900 res. only occasional bumps down to about 40 fps. Also I suggested sli with another which would be close to a gtx570 in equivelent and would only cost another hundred or so and still be under his $700 limit.

It is *NOT* a good GPU by any stretch of the imagination - I'm running two of them in SLI and it barely comes close to matching the performance of a 570TI, I notice some huge stuttering when playing Skyrim on really high or ultra settings. You might be able to get away with maxing BF3 on 1600 x 900, but on a full 1080p resolution display, you won't be able to get anywhere with a 550TI.

I havent asked Ebayer but I recognise the psu as a raidmax and since he said it is a 630w I am sure it is a RX 630SS which I am sure of because we had to disect that model in comp.

I've had lots of bad experiences with Raidmax and Apevia and I'll be very hesitant to recommend anything they make.

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Cooll... so you agree. in sli they do =, like I said, about a gtx 570 I would rather have a gtx 460 than the 550ti for roughly the same price but they are hard to come by sometimes.
I guess what I was trying to say is, it would not be a bad deal to get that gpu with the build.
It would be doable and very upgradeable and is a very much more solid base system than wasting more than a hundred MORE dollars to have an h61 platform with a lesser processor.

I mean really, look who's talking here.... You and me and we both have exactly what we want for our pc's. We have been building and putting our own together for a long time. Of course in our opinion, and even in fact, a 550 ti is not worth purchasing for the price range, pretty much, radeon controls the market in that price range.
We both know there are better cards to be had if we wanted to pick and buy one. We are not talking about us. We are talking about a new builder who doesn't even have the money to build a computer worthy of a good gpu...

Unless he can find a great deal like I showed him.

So therefore I thought it better to advise a better foundation with a gpu that would serve for awhile, and all for $100 cheeper, while he saved a little for a better card...
I don't know about what nvidea has planned , but I think it would be nice to see gtx 610 or 620 or maybe just see the 650 come down $50 in price.

I,m just sayin, I would rather purchase a good system to begin with and I think, the system I linked is worth much more than any h61, h67, p67 etc. with any less than a 2500k.

Even you gave that advice... as you must have noticed, you had to back down to an Asrock mobo to get a z68 and ai5-2400 and still have him spending almost $700

In the one I linked it is a better quality MSI board and an i5 2500k processor in a brand new build with a Really nice case to boot.... in a presently decent, but powerhouse capable pc for $100 less..... and its brand new and gen.3 pci.e 3.0 ready....

As far as the raidmax goes.... I have felt the same way about their psu's over the years. I had always read reviews and looked over toms articles and heard less than good about them.
To be honest, because of that I never gave one a chance. I had never actually seen one in a system until in class @ itt tech.
As I mentioned even my classmates bawked when our professor told us we had over thirty of them to work with. But like I said.. We worked extensively with that model and it is a great psu. Not 1 in 33 failed in any real way, any of the rigourous over, and sometimes mis-use, we subjected them to.

I am not saying that the overall view of raidmax psu's is wrong. I am only saying that to our testing, This model is one of their good psu's.

Even if it wasn't something I wanted to trust. The deal is still better worth spending his $600 bucks on ... He could get a $great gpu later, and an antec or corsair or seasonic psu for $100 or less and not be stuck with an h series mobo and lesser intel processor as its foundation.
He could sell the 550ti and raidmax psu on ebay and probably replace all he spent on a better psu and the only real extra he would have to spend would be for the gpu that he really wants after more keplers hit the market... :love:

I also noticed that tho you say the 550 ti is not a good card in any way,, for some reason you as well have two of them and I'm sorry about the studdering, I don't have that problem with mine. Plays skyrim fine with lowest framerate around 65fps.

Out of curiosity, what are their brands... Mine are Asus 550ti dc top. I also have them clocked to over a 1024g core clock so that helps quite a bit.