6310i, Line 2 & Orange woes...

After 17 years with Vodafone on the same number I jumped ship to Orange a
year ago to utilise their Line 2 service a year ago - April 2004 to be
precise.

My first phone was the SE T68i which was utterly useless spending more time
dropping calls where my old Vodafone T68i would have held onto the signal,
taking voicemails instead of the phone ringing & showing No Network which
Orange insisted was a transmitter problem even when a passengers Orange
phone was working correctly.

I lost count of the number of times I rang 150 to report a fault - Orange
ran diagnostics on the phone insisting there was no fault with the handset
until it was a week over 30 days old when they agreed it was the handset was
at fault but then as it was outside the 30 days would not replace it with a
new handset but asked me to send it to SE for repair...Orange voted number 1
for the second year for Customer Support...yeah...right...

I reverted to using my 4 year old Siemens SL25 just to be able to make/take
telephone calls until Christmas when I decided it was time to bite the
bullet and pay the £75 upgrade fee and get a new 'phone.

After being promised that the SE T610 didn't suffer with the poor RF
reception that plagued the T68i (having amassed nearly £500 worth of genuine
SE accessories and being familiar with the SE menuing system) I bit my lip
and paid the £75 upgrade fee (just so I could get a phone that worked -
outrageous) and was tied in for a further 12 months to Orange.

I don't have a problem being tied in for 12, 24 or 36 months come to that as
long as the 'phone works as it is supposed to...

However even with the new, improved T610 I got fed up with being the only
one at meetings or site visits whose phone showed 'No Signal' despite being
surrounded with other Orange users on their 6310i's happily making/taking
calls - at one point I had to use a clients Orange 6310i to report a 'No
Network' fault on my T610 while in his car...Orange again insisted there was
no fault with the handset and it was a transmitter problem despite my
explaining I was using a different Orange handset...repeat of their previous
performance with the T68i :-(

I finally decided enough was enough and after everyone telling me that the
6310i was the best performing handset decided not to bugger around any more
and get one.

Orange wanted another £100 upgrade fee and the handset was only available in
silver so I decided not to line the coffers at Orange any more and purchased
a nice black/gold SIM free. unlocked 6310i from Expansys along with the
CARK-91 car kit and genuine Nokia cigarette lighter adaptor for those times
when I might find myself in a different vehicle.

Having only had the handset a few days my first impression is excellent -
the 'phone is terrific - showing a good signal strength wherever I have been
so far and not having dropped a call yet...

However Line 2 does not work - when someone calls it they get the message
'This service is not compatible on this line' and on the handset there is no
indication or means to switch from Line 1 to Line 2.

Thinking I only needed a SIM update from Orange I rang them and explained
the situation and was told a SIM update would be sent but they would not
support the handset as it was not one of theirs.

No problems I thought as I had already suffered first-hand experience of
Orange support...

The promised SIM update never arrived and when I rang back I was told that
it would be no good because as it was not an Orange handset it did not have
their propriety software in it so would never support Line 2 in any
case...:-(

I would ultimately have to upgrade to an Orange 6310i to get Line 2 back
again which means another £100 and yet another 12 month contract just to get
a phone to perform its fundamental role of being able to make/take telephone
calls...<sigh>

Does anybody know if this is actually true that the 6310i has to be an
Orange branded model to utilise Line 2?

The reason I ask is because my old Vodafone T68i, Siemens SL45 and SL25 that
I rescued from the loft when my Orange T68i wouldn't work (all phones from
Vodafone but originally supplied unlocked) had no such problems with Line
2 - why should the 6310i?

Although there is no way to switch to Line 2 from the above handsets at
least they ring when Line 2 is called which is all I need really - my 6310i
does not even ring when Line 2 is called and I just get the 'not compatible'
message when I try to call Line 2 from a landline.

Does anyone else have or know of a non-Orange branded 6310i that supports
Line 2?

Are Orange once again shafting me?

--
Thanks & regards,
-pp-

"The future's shite...the future's Orange"
12 answers Last reply
More about 6310i line orange woes

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:03:45 +0100, "Pheasant Plucker®"
    <pheasant@plucker.not> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Does anybody know if this is actually true that the 6310i has to be an
    >Orange branded model to utilise Line 2?

    As Orange are the only network in the UK to support Line 2, they are
    the only ones that supply handsets with Line 2 enabled. Although it's
    a handset feature, the Line 2 function is hidden so as not to confuse
    their customers.

    A Nokia Service Centre can enable Line 2 on the handset for you, but
    you're better served getting CSP enabled by them instead. This will
    allow the SIM to control certain features of the phone, including the
    option to see Line 2.

    See also http://www.unlockme.co.uk/linetwo.html

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:11:26 +0100, "Mike Jones Super Hero"
    <notvalid@despammed.com> wrote:

    >Ring CS back and ask them to send the sim update dont tell them its a sim
    >free one it doesn't need to be Orange supplied to activate ALS .

    Wrong.

    An Orange handset will have Line 2 already enabled. Non-Orange
    handsets sourced from other UK networks or general GSM SIM-free stock
    will not, and no amount of Orange SIM uodates will enable them.

    See my other reply for the solution

    Thanks for the replies guys...

    I understand what ALS is but excuse my ignorance what is 'CSP'?

    Nokia Service Centre...as I live in Banbury are Hays Technology at Chipping
    Warden Nokia approved?

    I remember from a previous life that they service Siemens phones...

    Thanks & regards,
    -=Glyn=-

    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:11:26 +0100, "Mike Jones Super Hero"
    > <notvalid@despammed.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Ring CS back and ask them to send the sim update dont tell them its a sim
    >>free one it doesn't need to be Orange supplied to activate ALS .
    >
    > Wrong.
    >
    > An Orange handset will have Line 2 already enabled. Non-Orange
    > handsets sourced from other UK networks or general GSM SIM-free stock
    > will not, and no amount of Orange SIM uodates will enable them.
    >
    > See my other reply for the solution

    Erm, hate to disagree on this but I had an O2 6310i which went to orange,
    got sim updates to give me line2 and yet more sim updates 4 months later to
    remove line 2 as it was no longer needed. So I guess it can be done.

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:25:18 +0100, "Pheasant Plucker®"
    <pheasant@plucker.not> wrote:

    >Thanks for the replies guys...
    >
    >I understand what ALS is but excuse my ignorance what is 'CSP'?
    >
    >Nokia Service Centre...as I live in Banbury are Hays Technology at Chipping
    >Warden Nokia approved?
    >
    >I remember from a previous life that they service Siemens phones...

    CSP stands for Custom SIM Profile and, as mentioned earlier, allows
    the network to control certain aspects of the phones behaviour such as
    menu items via signals sent to the SIM card. The 2 most common are
    setting hotkey #1 to be the voicemail number, and enabling the Line 2
    service.

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:23:08 GMT, Blagg3r <sp4r3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >ƧØÞ <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote in

    >> An Orange handset will have Line 2 already enabled. Non-Orange
    >> handsets sourced from other UK networks or general GSM SIM-free stock
    >> will not, and no amount of Orange SIM uodates will enable them.
    >>
    >> See my other reply for the solution
    >
    >Erm, hate to disagree on this but I had an O2 6310i which went to orange,
    >got sim updates to give me line2 and yet more sim updates 4 months later to
    >remove line 2 as it was no longer needed. So I guess it can be done.

    Hmm. Was the handset new when you got it, and received from O2?

    Some GSM stock have all features enabled, but I've not encountered a
    UK (non-Orange) network-supplied Nokia handset that would allow the
    Line 2 function without ALS or CSP being enabled.

    Thanks again for the info guys...I have still drawn a blank so far...

    I spoke to Nokia and they suggested I call some Nokia Service Centres.

    Tried a place in Watford...not sure if they could do it or not...

    Tried Northampton - they hadn't even heard of two numbers on one SIM card
    with Orange let alone ALS/CSP!

    Tried Oxford - all they would do is flash the 'phone with Orange software
    for a cost of £30...never heard of ALS or CSP either...

    Tried various other places to no avail...

    Anyone know where someone could activate CSP/ALS?

    Strange and annoying that Line 2 is available 'out of the box' on my SE &
    Siemens phones but not on Nokia though...

    Regards,
    -=pp=-

    "Pheasant Plucker®" <pheasant@plucker.not> wrote in message
    > Thanks again for the info guys...I have still drawn a blank so far...
    >
    > I spoke to Nokia and they suggested I call some Nokia Service Centres.
    >
    > Tried a place in Watford...not sure if they could do it or not...
    >
    > Tried Northampton - they hadn't even heard of two numbers on one SIM card
    > with Orange let alone ALS/CSP!
    >
    > Tried Oxford - all they would do is flash the 'phone with Orange software
    > for a cost of £30...never heard of ALS or CSP either...
    >
    > Tried various other places to no avail...
    >
    > Anyone know where someone could activate CSP/ALS?
    >
    > Strange and annoying that Line 2 is available 'out of the box' on my SE &
    > Siemens phones but not on Nokia though...

    All official Nokia Service Centres should be able to do it in a few seconds
    without flashing the phone. Failing that, ourselves or many of the regulars
    here would be able to do it, or you could try an independent phone shop that
    does repairs and unlocks.

    --
    >>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<

    ƧØÞ <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote in

    > On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:23:08 GMT, Blagg3r <sp4r3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>ƧØÞ <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote in
    >
    >>> An Orange handset will have Line 2 already enabled. Non-Orange
    >>> handsets sourced from other UK networks or general GSM SIM-free
    >>> stock will not, and no amount of Orange SIM uodates will enable
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> See my other reply for the solution
    >>
    >>Erm, hate to disagree on this but I had an O2 6310i which went to
    >>orange, got sim updates to give me line2 and yet more sim updates 4
    >>months later to remove line 2 as it was no longer needed. So I guess
    >>it can be done.
    >
    > Hmm. Was the handset new when you got it, and received from O2?
    >
    > Some GSM stock have all features enabled, but I've not encountered a
    > UK (non-Orange) network-supplied Nokia handset that would allow the
    > Line 2 function without ALS or CSP being enabled.

    yep brand new

    "ƧØÞ" <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:11:26 +0100, "Mike Jones Super Hero"
    > <notvalid@despammed.com> wrote:
    >

    > >Ring CS back and ask them to send the sim update dont tell them its a
    sim
    > >free one it doesn't need to be Orange supplied to activate ALS .
    >
    > Wrong.
    >
    > An Orange handset will have Line 2 already enabled. Non-Orange
    > handsets sourced from other UK networks or general GSM SIM-free stock
    > will not, and no amount of Orange SIM uodates will enable them.
    >
    > See my other reply for the solution

    Logomanager will activate ALS or CSP - Ctrl-Alt-L or Ctrl-Alt-S. The
    latter gives control of the menus to the SIM. I've done this now with
    several SIM free 6310i's and all work fine with L2.

    Ivor

    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:25:18 +0100, "Pheasant Plucker®"
    > <pheasant@plucker.not> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for the replies guys...
    > >
    > >I understand what ALS is but excuse my ignorance what is 'CSP'?
    > >
    > >Nokia Service Centre...as I live in Banbury are Hays Technology at
    Chipping
    > >Warden Nokia approved?
    > >
    > >I remember from a previous life that they service Siemens phones...
    >
    > CSP stands for Custom SIM Profile and, as mentioned earlier, allows
    > the network to control certain aspects of the phones behaviour such as
    > menu items via signals sent to the SIM card. The 2 most common are
    > setting hotkey #1 to be the voicemail number, and enabling the Line 2
    > service.

    CSP is better IMHO as it allows the SIM to control the phone and is what
    Orange do to their phones by default.

    A registered copy of Logomanager will enable either ALS or CSP (Ctrl-Alt-L
    or Ctrl-Alt-S)

    Ivor

    In case anyone else is faced with the dilemma here is what worked for me.

    Buy yourself a copy of LogoManager

    www.logomanager.co.uk

    You don't even need a cable if you have InfraRed (maybe Bluetooth but I
    never tried it)

    Using <CTRL><ALT><L> you can enable/disable ALS

    Using <CTRL><ALT><S> you can enable/disable CSP

    Also useful for most things to do with you Nokia handset...

    Regards,
    -=pp=-

    "Pheasant Plucker®" <pheasant@plucker.not> wrote in message
    > Thanks again for the info guys...I have still drawn a blank so far...
    >
    > I spoke to Nokia and they suggested I call some Nokia Service Centres.
    >
    > Tried a place in Watford...not sure if they could do it or not...
    >
    > Tried Northampton - they hadn't even heard of two numbers on one SIM card
    > with Orange let alone ALS/CSP!
    >
    > Tried Oxford - all they would do is flash the 'phone with Orange software
    > for a cost of £30...never heard of ALS or CSP either...
    >
    > Tried various other places to no avail...
    >
    > Anyone know where someone could activate CSP/ALS?
    >
    > Strange and annoying that Line 2 is available 'out of the box' on my SE &
    > Siemens phones but not on Nokia though...
    >
    > Regards,
    > -=pp=-
    >

    > "ƧØÞ" <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:23:08 GMT, Blagg3r <sp4r3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > >ƧØÞ <no.spam@nowhere.net> wrote in

    > > >Erm, hate to disagree on this but I had an O2 6310i which went to
    > orange,
    > > >got sim updates to give me line2 and yet more sim updates 4 months
    later
    > > >remove line 2 as it was no longer needed. So I guess it can be done.
    > >
    > > Hmm. Was the handset new when you got it, and received from O2?
    > >
    > > Some GSM stock have all features enabled, but I've not encountered a
    > > UK (non-Orange) network-supplied Nokia handset that would allow the
    > > Line 2 function without ALS or CSP being enabled.

Nokia Phones Vodafone