Sign in with
Your question

Connect two Routers to one cable modem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 21, 2011 10:42:46 PM

Hello, i was hoping someone would be able to answer this question. My network currently consists of one cable modem, and one linksys router.

i was given a Belkin N router as a gift, and instead of returning it for a different brand ive decided to keep it. i would like to essentially use a splitter or switch in between my current router and modem.

This is the plan. Keep modem and linksys router in the den, use a splitter or switch to split the signal from the modem to each router. Use a 50+ foot ethernet cord running from the splitter or switch through the attic and into another room.

assume i can get any part from a store. will this plan work, if not. why, or what do i need in order for it to work.

thank you
June 21, 2011 11:13:29 PM

what you planned might not work since your ISP will most likely only assign you one Public IP.

are you trying to have two separate networks?
m
l
June 21, 2011 11:19:57 PM

yes, in a way, the plan is two have to separate networks, going through one gateway.

basically like i explained above, have to routers, giving off each their own network, connected to one cable modem
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2011 11:40:21 PM

connect a computer to the belkin and log in.

setup the wireless security and save the settings

change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1

change the WAN setting to Static and assign it IP 192.168.1.253, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS server 192.168.1.1 Save the settings

now log into the Linksys and assign 192.168.1.253 to the DMZ and save the setting

then connect a network cable from the Linksys LAN port to the WAN/Internet port of the Belkin.

putting the Belkin into the DMZ will be the same then connecting it directly to the modem, none of the Linksys security settings will apply to the Belkin
m
l
June 21, 2011 11:49:51 PM

ok, and that will basically make it so that they are separate networks? also it wont mess with any of the linksys settings will it? and one more question, since im going to be connecting directly to the linksys and not a switch, would i be able to use the network printer that is connected to the linksys, or do i need the printer pluged into my router in order for that to work?
m
l
June 22, 2011 12:25:05 AM

this will make it two separate networks that cannot see each other (no printer sharing)

it should not effect your current Linksys settings

the only way to share the printer is using the Belkin as only an (Access Point) and having only one network.
m
l
June 22, 2011 4:17:31 AM

Ok. Thank you very much for answering my question, but I have one last one. For some reason people who I ask this same question to tell me things like you can't have two under the same roof because they will conflict and interfere with one another. Im pretty sure I can set my belkin router to run on a separate channel than my linksys so there is no interference. Is either one true?
m
l
June 22, 2011 7:16:06 AM

yes set one router to use ch1 and the other ch4.

I like to have at least two channels of separation like 1+4, 2+5, etc... nothing wrong with using 1+9. use the once that are not or least used in your area.
m
l
June 23, 2011 1:03:26 AM

ok so i did most of what you said to do, and everything was somewhat configured, however, when i changed the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1 instead of it being 192.168.2.1, i could not view any of my settings.

is it important that i change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1?
m
l
June 23, 2011 8:31:20 AM

sorry I though it was using the same IP scheme as the Linksys.

You can leave the IP at 192.168.2.1 and it should work, too.
m
l
June 23, 2011 6:55:07 PM

ok i left the LAN IP alone this time, and did what you said to the linksys, and connected it. the new router shows its connected to the modem and the internet, however, when i tried to connect and typed in the 64bit hex key, it wouldnt let me connect. i know i typed in the correct one, because when i typed in one i knew was wrong, it said wrong key. so what do you thin the problem is? i currently have my linksys hidden with no password, which i know i can do with the new router, but i want it broadcasting with security.
m
l
June 24, 2011 12:59:58 AM

I would would use WPA2 mode instate WEP.

also use a different SSID for each router
m
l
March 11, 2012 2:05:26 PM

I recently did something similar, and depending on what you're trying to accomplish, there may be an easier way for you to do it.

I have Comcast as an ISP. It is connected to a Ooma router, then goes to an Apple Time Capsule, which provides primary wireless for my home. I got a Linksys E1000 that was being replaced with a newer model, but which still worked perfectly. I wanted to provide wireless to my patio area which was cut-off from the primary network by cement and hurricane windows.

I took a pair of TP Link Powerline adapters and installed one at the existing network side and plugged it into the switch as just another device. I plugged the other adapter into a power outlet on the patio. I plugged the E1000 into LAN port (*not* the WAN port) and now have a very strong wireless signal outside.

As has been suggested here, I used a separate SSID (non-advertising) from my primary network and WPA2 for security. The TP Link Powerline adapters operate at 200 mps, which is way faster than my Internet, so I'm delighted with the speed. I turned off DHCP since there should only be one DHCP server on the network (the Time Capsule) and changed the E1000's IP address to match my network (172.27.35.x). I had zero problems connecting.

As I said, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but this methodology works for what I was trying to do, which was to extend wireless coverage outdoors. I could have used an Apple Airport Express to wirelessly join and extend the existing network, but the existing wireless signal was so poor outdoors that hardwiring the device back to the switch made more sense, hence the use of the powerline adapters.

Hope this helps.
m
l
!