Does this Motherboard Support 3 Way SLI?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
It only has 3 PCI-E slots in 8x 8x mode... if you add the 3rd PCI-e slot it gets shared with PCI-e 1 and brings PCI-E slot 3 down to 4x mode....

I think when they say "quad" they mean 2 cards each with 2 cards "inside" of them... some cards are considered 2 in one... so I'm guessing this is "quad" means to them; because it does NOT have 4 PCI-E slots...

Just my guess(I may be totally wrong).... I'm sure someone else will be able to clarify further.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Actually see this - In early 2006, NVIDIA revealed its plans for Quad SLI. When the 7900GX2 was originally demonstrated, it was with two such cards in a SLI configuration. This is possible because each GX2 has two extra SLI connectors, separate from the bridges used to link the two GPUs in one unit – one on each PCB, two per GPU, for a total of two links per GPU. When two GX2 graphics cards are installed in a SLI motherboard, these SLI connectors are bridged using two separate SLI bridges. (In such a configuration, if the four PCBs were labeled A, B, C, D from top to bottom, A and C would be linked by an SLI bridge, as would B and D.) This way, four GPUs can contribute to performance. The 7950GX2, sold as an enthusiast-friendly card, omits the external SLI connector on one of its PCBs, meaning that only one SLI bridge is required to run two 7950GX2s in SLI.

Taken from here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

ph0en1x26

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

it says the 3 rd PCI is default x1, i assume by default it can be changed, IE to 4x when i card is inserted?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
even so... the 3rd slot will run at 1x.... not 4x.... he is showing you the 3rd slot by ITSELF... when you add in PCI-e 1 and 2, it shares their bandwidth and will probably take a big hit going down to 1x. Again, I am not positive.

He also says at the end "how PCI-E speed affects single card performance".... not SLI 18x 8x 1x...

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1. This is the correct interpretation. Regardless, 3-way is possible and will yield some benefit over 2-way SLI.

ph0en1x26

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

that one card he was running on the 4x slot had 2 GPUs in it... so they were both running at 2x2x like he says, Im not convinced itd run at 1x... just doesnt sound right

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It will run, but just not as "fast" as the other PCIe slots. Essentially, you will be saturating the bus. Really, you can expect more than 100% use of the bus and you will be right there.

Hit-teh-X

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Theres an option in the bios to change the last slot to 4x or 1x. In doing so you loose the eSata port and a few USB3.0 ports I believe.